Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've gone and done it. I took my 9 to Kokomo and traded her in. I wanted something bigger and I've always wanted a Harley. (Dirty word I know lol) So I splurged and bought a 08 Road King. Its definitely different, much heavier and feels like a bus making tight turns. I suspect I'll get used to it as it took some time to get used to the 9 after riding the Rebel for so long.
Hope to stay with y'all here on the forums. But if I'm no longer welcome after I did such an unforgivable thing, I understand.. ;)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ooops, guess this thread is useless without a pic huh?

Any ideas on a name? Cant be "Midnight", know too many people with Cats named Midnight.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Good looking machine! Looks like it's got a few farkles on it already. Always liked the look of the FLH platform.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah its not Brand New, but in good shape with only 19k miles on it.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
VERY nice Road King! You'll get used to the weight in no time at all! That has the 96" engine, yes? Between that and the 6-speed transmission, you're gonna be in heaven (if you aren't there already). And, it's a VERY different ride than the 900 - it just floats down the highway!

Congratulations! And, if nobody else will talk to you, I will! ;)

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice bike. The extra weight makes a big difference when parking in tight spaces and trying to back up on a slope. Other than that you'll soon get used to it.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Looks good! As far as being welcome here, as long as you don't start saying that you "finally bought a real bike" you should be ok. :D

Meanwhile, I'm sure a lot of us will be interested in hearing about your experiences on this bike after the 9er.

Ride safe! (if the weather ever breaks!)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Ooops, guess this thread is useless without a pic huh? Any ideas on a name? Cant be "Midnight", know too many people with Cats named Midnight.
hm,, how does that song go? "take a walk on the wild(dark)side"... and the colored girls go;"doo, doo, dadoo, doo, doo, dadoo, doo, doo"...
its good to get it out of yor system, then U'll kno.. been ther dun that 6x.. they have 12 step program for getting out. poncho

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey thats a nice ride.
Welcome to the club.
(sorry couldn't resist).

·
Registered
386 Posts
VERY nice Road King! You'll get used to the weight in no time at all! That has the 96" engine, yes? Between that and the 6-speed transmission, you're gonna be in heaven (if you aren't there already). And, it's a VERY different ride than the 900 - it just floats down the highway!

Actually, having owned a 6 speed 103c.i. I have to say IMHO the 5 Speed 88 is better. It isn't restricted by those pesky O2 sensors and modern emissions restrictions. Not changing gear all the time is nice, and it will happily sit at 70 mph in top. Mind you I normally cruise at 55 - 60, getting older and slower................

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
the 5 Speed 88 is better. Not changing gear all the time is nice, and it will happily sit at 70 mph in top. Mind you I normally cruise at 55 - 60, getting older and slower................
keef'rs,, you aint gettin slower, but stayin the same.. its the world around you that is speeding up.. keep on, keeping on,, rock steady.. poncho

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts

Me Too! As far as I know HRH_Z and I (and maybe Poncho) are the only ones around here that own both a Vulcan and a Harley. Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Ooh, a black Harley. How original. :rolleyes: :D

Nothing wrong with getting what you want. Congratulations and enjoy the new bike! I hope you get many miles and years of enjoyment out of it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Actually, having owned a 6 speed 103c.i. I have to say IMHO the 5 Speed 88 is better. It isn't restricted by those pesky O2 sensors and modern emissions restrictions. Not changing gear all the time is nice, and it will happily sit at 70 mph in top. Mind you I normally cruise at 55 - 60, getting older and slower................
well, if getting away from restrictions is what you want...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all. I'm liking it, liking it allot. Yeah it has the 96ci with stage one kit. Runs like a "raped ape" lol.
I dont have to do any down shifting except for turns or towns and you dont use 6th gear till your past 65mph. If your in 6th the chain is slapping the shoe on the back side and damaging it.
I'm planning on doing the gear drive to eliminate the plastic shoes, but thats going to be a couple of years down the road. Usually dont start pitting or cracking till around 35K to 40K miles.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Sounds great!

Low idle and lugging the engine are the bane of V-Twin's everywhere. I hear it all the time out on the roads. Keeping the idle super low, shifting super early. It's really hard on these motors. And, frankly, I don't think it sounds that good. A 500 rpm idle sounds like a bike that's about to stall; it doesn't sound good at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts