Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I just did my 30k valve lash inspection and I can't imagine what could cause that. I would definitely call the shop and talk to them about it.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
They pinched a charging system wire when the left cover was reinstalled, or cover not installed correctly and rotor is rubbing on something???

·
Registered
536 Posts
If adjusted too tight it could have trouble starting but it could be more quiet than normal. If the vavles are loose or in spec there is usually a little noise especially on startup....too tight it can be unusually quiet.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
sfair, I thought of that too, but if all they did was a valve clearance check there's no need to pull anything but the view port.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in the morning, it's getting TRAILERED, not ridden, back to the dealer, let them sort it out. The wife mentioned it was making a "different noise," this time she was correct, it IS. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
checked this dealer's Yahoo page, there are a LOT of complaints filed there. I will go there tomorrow morning with an open mind and a calm demeanor, try to get to the bottom of this. I think this site could provide a real service by allowing posters to rate dealerships in various categories, proper service being one of the criteria. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
trailered it in this morning, mechanic listened to it, without further tests / checking, his initial thought was stator failure or possibly main crank bearings. We'll see in a few days.
I thought it was the earlier VN 900 ( pre 2008) with all the stator issues.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Main bearings knock when they fail, not squeal, and if they do squeal, it is for a very very short time only and then the knock follows.
I do not think this is your problem.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Seems the stator makes a pretty distictive sound. Somebody posted a video that was spot on. You might have to search. From my experience, by the time you start hearing that howl, you should have noticed dimming lights at idle, weak battery, slow cranking, hard starting. All the things you associate with an old battery. Problem is that it doesn't necesarily fail quickly. The issues creep up on you unnoticed, then one day you're push starting her in Vermont! The testing for stator performance isn't difficult (some excellent threads on this forum) and is very precise.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts