Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Vulcan world, just bought a used VN1600. I've been, and still ride BMW twins for decades, my latest ride is my 07 R1200RT. One thing about the BMW twins is they can carry more rider and gear load than many other bikes, including many of the large cruisers. My 94 BMW R1100RS is rated to carry 550 lbs of riders and gear. I'd like to know the GVWR of a VN1600.

Also, both my 94 and 07 BMWs have alternators that put out 700 watts, easily handles any electrical load I put on the bikes. What is the alternator output on the VN1600?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Your curb weight on your scoot is around 745 lbs. The GVWR is located on the front fork tube of the frame. Usually carry weight is around 500 lbs. give or take 30 lbs either direction.
The output for the electrical is 42 amps x 14 volts @ 6000 rpm.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. So the wattage from the alternator ranges between 504 watts at idle to a max of 588 watts at full output. Not as much as my BMWs but still pretty good. Up here in the great white upper midwest, when I use both my heated jacket liner and heated overpants its about 300 watts right there. Figure about 120 watts for running the bike and lights, etc, means I'll have about 80 t0 100 watts in reserve. Since my Vulcan doesn'l have heated grips or seats I should be good with my plans for adding LED spotlights/drinving lights.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hah. I just looked up the GVWR for the Indian Roadmaster Chieftain my gal had overnight from the dealer last season. It lists the GVWR as 1385, and the fully fueled weight at 944 lbs. That only leaves 441 pounds of load per the recommended max loading. My "little" BMW R1100RS is rated over 550 lbs for capacity.

The VN1600 has about the same load capacity IF you consider add ons like a set of bags and tour pack, and in my case the frame mount fairing I have planned for it (which doesn't weigh much more than the stock windshield and dual spots). Goes to show another value of the Vulcan, smaller engine, less weight but comparable performance and capacities.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts