Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks, I was curious if other vn900's have this trait, while parked and idling are you able to shift through the 2-3-4-5 gears? Not able to with my vn900 classic. I was thinking this is related to the positive neutral finder? It is not something I usually attempt but I had a buddy test my ride out and was asking about it...just wondering if this is normal for our bikes

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
It's working correctly, but you probably shouldn't have someone unfamiliar riding the bike and trying to force the tranny to upshift while idling and not moving. It's too easy to bend shift forks that way.
Making repairs on the transmission is not something you want to contemplate.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
yeah my vn9 doesnt let me change gear unless in motion. well i can only switch between 1 and N when at a standstill.

i find this to me in all kawaski models. my yamaha sports bike is able to go thru all gears stopped. but my kawisaki ninja 650 only goes from 1 to N.

this is a problem simply because if you battery dies, you will not be able to push start it. ask me how i know lol

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
If the engine is not running, you can manipulate the transmission by rolling forwards and back while upshifting the lever. This is best accomplished by having the rear wheel off the ground and turning it by hand while moving the shifter. This is how we can get the transmission into fifth gear for the purposes of turning the engine over by turning the rear wheel when the spark plugs are removed. It's useful when setting valve clearances and such.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Many times I'll coast start my bike when leaving home for work, an 05 800. Once I get moving 4-5 mph you can shift to 2md. I do this because I only live about 3 miles from work and dont feel its far enough to recharge the battery from starting.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
2chains, that's exactly the point of the neutral finder. When you're stopped in 1st, neutral is the only gear you can get to. I've to push start my custom a couple of times, once you're rolling up shifting isn't a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts