Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Mustang wide touring seat for my 09 Custom today, and it won't fit with the Kawi backrest/rack. The seat is too long, won't latch down, and digs into the backrest. Anyone else had this problem?
Not sure what to do...find a different seat, or find a different backrest. I have the SE, and the black Kawi backrest looks really good on there. Almost no chrome on the bike, so I'd need another black backrest. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the same problem. I like the look of the backrest and luggage rack so when the weather gets a little better I am going to a local shop that does custom work on seats. I would do it now but I want to take the bike with so they know what I want them to do with the seat.

·
Registered
851 Posts
What kinda backrest do you guys have, one of those real short backrest or what I call buttrest? Here's a pic of a custom se a buddy had and there's plenty of space between the Mustang and his backrest.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured it out. Just gonna redrill the mounting holes and move the whole thing back 2 inches. Then fill the old holes with some pretty bolts or small plastic plugs.:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would have never thought of that. when you get the mod done you should put some pics up so I can see how it looks. Maybe you will same me some money.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would have never thought of that. when you get the mod done you should put some pics up so I can see how it looks. Maybe you will same me some money.
I looked a little closer on my lunch break, and the hole at the front is to close to the edge to drill another hole. There might be enough room if you oval it out a little, but I still have to take some measurments. Or, I've got some 3/16th X 1 1/2 inch aluminum strapping, so maybe I'll try and make some extended brackets for the front. Eather way, it'll be a couple of weeks before I can tackle it.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A mustang seat solution

I bought myself a mustang seat for xmas and had the same problem. Major dissapoinment. After enough thought, I came up with the following solution. I removed a dozen rivets from back (underside of seat). Pulled seat cover back. pushed foam out of the way, and using a dremel tool, cut 1-1/2 inches off the back of the seat. I also made the back corners where it was hitting backrest much larger diameter. I then stretched the cover back and used small screws to hold in place. Looks factory! No more rubbing or hard to remove/replace seat.

I joined this forum tonight because of you two with same problem. I hope you still have your seats. I can sent pictures of mine if you would like.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sent my Mustang back and got a Corbin. Much happier now! Looks better, fits better, feels better. Can't wait to ride!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Corbin dual tourer on my 2010 SE with the KAWA SE short back rest...I used some box steel and made some extensions for the upright part of the back rest. Now the back rest pad sits a few inches above the seat, made it more usable for my wife and allowed the seat to fit perfectly.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The Cobra medium works fine w/ the Mustang...almost like they were made for each other. You can see the clearance between the two here:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi' I have a 09 (orange) 900 custom. I put a avon 230, on rear. 2in. lowering kit (rear). Now , I am changing my 80/90/21, (front) to a 90/90/21 shinko 777. (hope it fit's, looks alot bigger. Another mod. is (3) in. spacers under factory handlebar's. I have a quick release windsheild, and now I'm looking for a quick release back rest / luggage rack. I called kawi. they said they could fix me up wih one for around $750.00.(that brought a tear to my eye) I really want one, but not worth getting a loan for. CAN ANY ONE HELP, WITH ANY LEADS, OR IDEAS? P.S. MUST HAVE QUICK RELEASE FEATURE.. THANX....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Attached (I hope) are a couple of photos of my seat mod. I noticed one side is still rubbing the back rest post. I've decided I am going to trim another half inch off the back & corners of the seat. I do not do a lot of two up, but I am worried that it will rub more when someone is sitting on the rear. An extra half or trhee quarters of an inch off should give me piece of mind. This time I will take detailed photos as I go along in case anyone wants.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK now I have a reason to finish what I started on my seat. I will work on it this weekend, and take detailed photos of the work as I go (not that it is difficult by any means). As this will be the third time that I cut off some of the fiberglass seat frame, I no longer remember how much I've already cut. What I will do is measure how much is left from the two black pads. That way if anyone reading this wants to do the same to their Mustang seat, and they like the way mine looks, they should be able to replicate. Should have photos of what I hope is the last time I have to take the seat apart, by this time next week.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mustang seat fix - take three

4/11/12 - I removed all of the rivets to the passenger seat (12-14) and folded the cover back out of the way. I used needle nose plyers to pull the back of the rivets out of the fiberglass and made sure I got all of the rivets out of the seat (by vacumming them out). There is a metal/plastic trim that simply pulls out of the way (you will have to trim some of it off when putting the seat back together. Make sure not to trim off too much. A sharp pair of scissors will do the trick). I took another 1/2 inch off of the corners of the fiberglass frame. I used a compas with one end in a rivet hole in the middle of the seat and went three (3) inches beyond an imaginary line drawn between the edges of the two rubber bumper pads. The compas makes a perfect arch to round the corners. Beware, cutting fiberglass is extremely messy (use goggles and dust mask), move vehicles out of the garage or you will be washing them. I added a Photo of a step that is not necessary. When cutting this much off of the seat (1 - 1/2 inches - this is the third time I've trimmed the seat), the rear of the seat no longer hugs the fender (as viewed from the rear of the bike looking through the luggage rack). It leaves a 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap or space between the bike fender and the seat. I used an old washing machine hose I cut to length and slit open with my dremel tool. By placing it over the rear lip, it filled the gap between the back edge of the seat and fender to less than 1/4 inch. The gap may or may not bother you. You really had to look hard to see it (especially with the luggage rack in the way), and with my bike being almost the same color as the seat (Metallic Midnight Sapphire Blue) it was that much harder to notice. But I knew the gap was there so I added the fix while I was at it (third time is a charm). Pulling the cover and holding it in place while trying to screw it down is really a two person job, however I managed with some effort by myself. Start screwing the cover in place at the front and work your way back (toward the rear). I kept switching from side to side as I went, trying to make it as even on both sides as possible. Voila! If you have any questions let me know. I like the looks of the seat now that the rear is "rounded". It makes the passenger seat look a lot smaller. After two short rides (one solo and one with daughter) the back rest posts are no longer leaving any marks on the seat. Looks like they may just be touching the braided seam, but I can live with that. Without cutting away some of the foam (which I do not want to do), removing any more of the fiberglass frame is not going to make much difference beyond what I have already accomplished. The seat is now as easy to lock/unlock as the original! Looks ike I can only add five (5) photos at a time. I can send more if you like, but seat does not look much different then the photos I attached earlier.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts