Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just wanted to show you all a little progress that I have done on my 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom SE. Literally just got them installed and it's 3 in the morning so I'll have better pics soon.

These are a pair of SMT black contrast cut revolver assassin grips. They are 7 1/2 inches long and feel awesome when you grip them. Here's the ebay page I bought them from. I believe the make forward controls as well as pegs and many other awesome stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V-Star-Fury-Vulcan-Raider-Motorcycle-Grips-REVOLVER-/120715816851?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1b392f93

Left Grip with insert screws to hold them on. Bought them at a True Value store today for 45 cents x3. Super easy to install.

Here's the 2 side by side with a ruler view.

My Arlen Ness Mirrors

You'll see the right grip fits like a glove inside the switch box housing. Super easy to install after removing just 2 screws from the back of the switch box housing. Just remember to turn the handlebars all the way to the right when you're removing the old throttle and grip. The cables fit right back into the grips like a glove. This is the switch box housing open. Sorry the pic isn't the best.

Here's the right side after the install of the mirrors and the grip. Love the look. The mirrors seem small but once they're set right you can see juuuuust fine.

Here's the left side after install. I'll post a close up so you can see the 3 Alan Screws that are set down inside to keep the grip in place. No glue, hair spray, spit...Whatever else people use. Couple twists and it fit like a glove.

Here's a little bit of a closer look.

Here's both from a little ways back.

I'll let you all know how the ride is. If it's too bumpy or vibrates the hell out of my hands. I'm not anticipating too much of that but we'll see. Hope you all enjoyed. If you have any questions let me know. Hope to see more SMT stuff running around. Ride on!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Trouble with SMT grip (throttle side)

I just purchased a pair of these grips myself and for whatever reason, I can't get the throttle housing to close back around the new grip. Cables are in place correctly and I've even grinded a fair chunk of the housing case itself to try and make it fit. It's close (about an 1/8" from closing completely) but the more I tighten the screws on the housing case, the harder it is to even roll on the throttle.

Any advice? Did you have this kind of problem with yours at all (casing not fitting around the grip).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't have any problems putting my grips on at all. Did you buy them from SMT machining or did you buy them from custom chopper werks? I got mine from SMT and specified my make model and year. Received them and they went right on.

And custom rider I have those mirrors for sale. I had them on for a short time and switched them to a different black set.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The housing case actually closes over them.... I do remember a wire getting caught on the underside and I couldn't figure out what the hell was going wrong. You may check that out. I didn't have to grind anything away. Let me know if you have any problems. Inbox me I'll send you my number and you can call. I've done all my mods to my bike myself so she and I are pretty intimate.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I bought them from SMT off of ebay (at least the ebay ID indicated it was SMT Machining). I don't know what exactly the issue is, but the throttle housing definitely won't fit around the right grip, no matter what I seem to do. Like I mentioned, I can get it close but when I tighten the screws down, the grip won't even turn.

In the meantime, I've got the stock grip back on (with the SMT left done - looks kinda silly, but at least I can ride).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice looking set Josh! I like the look but kinda worried about the functionality of the mirrors. Do you even use them? If so, do you have to squint your eyes like Clint Eastwood to see anything?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Turns out I got the Harley grips sent instead of the metric. Spoke to SMT and they're shipping a replacement out right away! Will post pics when I get the new one mounted!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Finally got 'em installed:

Sorry for the grainy shots....I'll take more in daylight later!

Now, waiting on my Bikemaster Sickle mirrors (due to arrive Monday) and my Freedom Performance Sharp Curve Radius exhaust (back-ordered 3-4 weeks???? AAARRRGGGHHH!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Heck yea!!!! Those look freakn sweet man!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Nice grips Jasber. I am intimidated with the pointy ends of that style so I went with these instead:

Later on I will get the mirrors with the skull hands and then the levers with the skull heads at the end. This set up should help me find a nice girl soon after.
=)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'll say, like everyone else I'm sure, that I hope to keep my "lay-downs" to a minimum and certainly hope not to ever do it with someone directly beneath the tip of the grip! :)

And I'm actually pleasantly surprised at how comfortable these grips are when my hands are wrapped around then. I wear gloves always when riding, so no slippage issues...and very little vibration/numbing. I would recommend these grips to anyone - especially if you're trying for a "mean" looking grip!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bikemaster Sickle Mirrors Installed!

Just got these mounted this morning:

Two mods down, a bunch to go! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts