Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I went to my local Kawasaki dealer today to see what I can get. The wife allowed me to spend $100.00 only. :( Anyway, I go in and look around. I see a set of Kuryakyn grips. The size was 7/8. I liked the way they looked. I asked the sale dude if the grips would fit my Vulcan 900 Custom. He looked at it and said yes. So I purchased it. $98.00 by the way. I go home and cut up the stock grips. After follwing the directions in prepping the bars, I tried to test fit the grips. The damn grips didn't fit! I was like [email protected]! I called the dealer up and spoke to the guy who sold it to me. He told me to remove the end caps to allow the air to go through. I did what he told me and the damn thing still didn't fit. The rubber was popping out of place everytime I pushed it in.

My questions are, Am I doing it right? and What are the right size grips for my bike? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
The handlebar for the classic 900 is 1", so you need 1" grips. If you are trying to stuff a 7/8" grip on a 1" bar, they are not going to fit. You didn't mention if you have a classic or a custom. I am not sure what size bar is on the custom, but my guess is it is also a 1", which in you case, you are screwed if it is. Sorry...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The handlebar for the classic 900 is 1", so you need 1" grips. If you are trying to stuff a 7/8" grip on a 1" bar, they are not going to fit. You didn't mention if you have a classic or a custom. I am not sure what size bar is on the custom, but my guess is it is also a 1", which in you case, you are screwed if it is. Sorry...
Aw $hit! 1 inch. I did mention what bike I had by the way. Not really screwed though. I can return them. Thanks for the info. Kawa afterthought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, It's confirmed. Some dude had the same problem I had on another forum. He confirmed that the bar size for the Vulcan 900 Custom is 1 inch. Looks like Imma gonna have a talk with that sales dude tomorrow. :mad:

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I'd also return them for a full refund and purchase the grips off the net. 98 bucks? What kind of grips were they? If ISO's, you spent about 40 too much!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
The sales people at the dealers are typically morons.
When I went to get my clutch spring and retainers for my 96, i did what anyone who knows about it would do. Upgraded to the meanie spring. I told the guy the part number yet he still wanted to know what bike I had. He got red faced after the 5th time of me telling him that I don't give a rats ass that his computer doesnt list a '96 meanie and that it isnt the right part number, that in fact the spring WILL work.
Another reason why Mid america powersports in wichita, ks rarely gets my business, even if just for oil...

·
Registered
95 Posts
DUDE....I agree, you spent WAY to much for ISO grips. I payed $50 delivered from online, new in the package. About 1/2 hour to install with looking at alot of videos online but well worth the education. And yes,,,,all the 900 Kawasaki bikes are 1" grips. Anymore add ons it pays to do a little homework......IMHO!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd also return them for a full refund and purchase the grips off the net. 98 bucks? What kind of grips were they? If ISO's, you spent about 40 too much!!
Yeah they were. I got my money back though. :) Yeah, 98 is too much for grips, but where I'm from all the prices here are high as compared to the ones on the internet. I need grips now. The bike looks ghetto with out it. I'm going to check the local Harley shop in the morning.:D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DUDE....I agree, you spent WAY to much for ISO grips. I payed $50 delivered from online, new in the package. About 1/2 hour to install with looking at alot of videos online but well worth the education. And yes,,,,all the 900 Kawasaki bikes are 1" grips. Anymore add ons it pays to do a little homework......IMHO!!
Yeah I know about doing research on stuff, but when my wife allowed me to spend $100.00, I wasn't going to take my time. I wanted to get it right away before she changed her mind. LOL!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Kuryakyn ISO grips part number 6235

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah I know about doing research on stuff, but when my wife allowed me to spend $100.00, I wasn't going to take my time. I wanted to get it right away before she changed her mind. LOL!
Plus you are in Guam so I am guessing the prices are different. Retail on those grips in the US of A is $78

·
Registered
95 Posts
Those Avon grip are really cool too. I'll tell you my friends, you can NOT go wrong buying all your aftermarket stuff from Dennis Kirk up in Minnesota. I am a true believer in their pricing. They were the cheapest price for the Mustang seat I got for this season and the shipping was very FAST

1 - 14 of 14 Posts