Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered som ISO grips from J&P. I hear the glue that comes with the grips isn't that great. What do you guys use?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used gorilla glue and it worked great.
Just use it sparingly because it expands 3-4 times itself.

Sent from my HTC Evo4g.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered som ISO grips from J&P. I hear the glue that comes with the grips isn't that great. What do you guys use?
Kuryakyn glue is actually one of the good ones. However is sets quickly and once you start sliding the grip onto the bars, don't stop because it will set and then you'll be screwed.

I've tried the hair spray/grip tape method with little success. Gorilla glue is awesome but use it very sparingly because it swells twice the area space as you apply.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Kuryakyn glue is actually one of the good ones. However is sets quickly and once you start sliding the grip onto the bars, don't stop because it will set and then you'll be screwed.

I've tried the hair spray/grip tape method with little success. Gorilla glue is awesome but use it very sparingly because it swells twice the area space as you apply.
+1 On the glue that came with the ISO grips (I think it was called spider glue). It worked great for me, but as BBB stated it sets up really quickly, so get it right the first try. My son used a rubber cement from super glue and it worked as well.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
hairspray has been working for me the last two years

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I've had my stock rubber grips off a couple of times. I've just wiped down the bar with alcohol, and swabbed the grip out with the same stuff. Let dry and slide the grip back on. Only way it will budge is with the compressed air trick!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I didn't use any glue. I was scared off by the warning that if you hesitate the glue sets so quickly that you're screwed. After I put it on to test the fit it was sufficiently tight that I just left it on. Been on without glue for 2000 miles now with no problem.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The glue that came with the ISO grips I had for the MS was sufficient. Just line it up where you want it and cram it on there. Just be sure to do the throttle side first since it has the tube built in and it will be where it will be. Then do the other side to match. I did not do that and my grips and they were about 10 degrees off or so. I consider myself lucky that it was that close. It could have been worse.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The glue that comes with your Kury Ergo grips works just fine. And ditto on not pausing when you slide the grip on. It sets instantly. I know, and had a heck of a time getting the grip loose so I could properly set it. You can do this by carefully inserting a very thing flat blade screwdriver in between the rubber insert and the chromed metal framework. You can scrape the screwdriver side to side against the handle bar to loosen the glue. Squirting a little WD40 in there helps, too.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
The glue that came with the ISO grips I had for the MS was sufficient. Just line it up where you want it and cram it on there. Just be sure to do the throttle side first since it has the tube built in and it will be where it will be. Then do the other side to match. I did not do that and my grips and they were about 10 degrees off or so. I consider myself lucky that it was that close. It could have been worse.
Yes, this is a great key in making you grips match/line-up, put on the throttle side first, then put on the left grip to match as close as possible.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Yes, this is a great key in making you grips match/line-up, put on the throttle side first, then put on the left grip to match as close as possible.
I was fighting with getting my old grips off so hard that I was just so frustrated I did not think about it when I did those.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts