1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry, can't help you with the install part of things, BUT those blacked out pair that they make would look slick on the Custom SE....

The ISO Grips would be sweet if they made an all black, or even a gunmetal coloured pair.

Anyone have experience with these Avon grips? Comfort level?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Dunno about the removal/install, but if the iso's come off in great shape, let me know via PM! :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you go to the Kuryakyn website you may be able to download the install instructions and go in reverse order. Just a suggestion. It may be hard to get the clutch side off depending on what was used to glue it on.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've never done this before, but I've heard of using an air compressor to blow air under the grip and push it off. Again, I can't vouch for this, but it's an idea. Anyone every tried this??

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I've never done this before, but I've heard of using an air compressor to blow air under the grip and push it off. Again, I can't vouch for this, but it's an idea. Anyone every tried this??
Works great for a rubber grip, but for an aftermarket rigid cased grip, I doubt this would be possible. Guess it depends on how much flex you have between the grip and the bar?

·
Registered
41 Posts
grip removal

I have some recent experience with this on some chrome and black ribbed girps similar to the kuryakyn. I took an old sabre saw blade, that was about 1/4" wide by 6" long, and ground the saw teeth off of it on a bench grinder, making a kind of long narrow knife blade. Disconnected the throttle cables, removed the throttle tube from the handle bars, locked the blade in a set of vice gips and worked it around between the gip and the tube, spaying some WD 40 in the gap when possible. Took a while but got the grip off without destroying the tube or the grip. Ain't no way the way these were glued on that an air compressor could have blown them off.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You may have to cut the grips off if they cannot be wedged off with a knife and oil as previously stated. Also do not glue on the new throttle grip!

The throttle side is held in place by the kill switch housing. Remove the screws from the housing and open the halves. Make sure you note the proper location for each throttle cable (there are two) so that you will put each one into the proper slots of the new grip. The new throttle grip will be held in place by the housing just like the old one. Simply replace the switch housing and check for proper throttle operation by opening the throttle and letting go, allowing it to pop back to the closed position on its own. If it does, then you are good to go. If not, the grip is either binding up on the housing or the throttle cables were not properly re-installed. DO NOT USE GLUE ON THE THROTTLE GRIP. That may seem pretty obvious, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks that have slapped themselves in the head when they found that the throttle would not turn.

I replaced my grips last week and if you take your time it is easy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You may have to cut the grips off if they cannot be wedged off with a knife and oil as previously stated. Also do not glue on the new throttle grip!

The throttle side is held in place by the kill switch housing. Remove the screws from the housing and open the halves. Make sure you note the proper location for each throttle cable (there are two) so that you will put each one into the proper slots of the new grip. The new throttle grip will be held in place by the housing just like the old one. Simply replace the switch housing and check for proper throttle operation by opening the throttle and letting go, allowing it to pop back to the closed position on its own. If it does, then you are good to go. If not, the grip is either binding up on the housing or the throttle cables were not properly re-installed. DO NOT USE GLUE ON THE THROTTLE GRIP. That may seem pretty obvious, but I'm sure there are plenty of folks that have slapped themselves in the head when they found that the throttle would not turn.

I replaced my grips last week and if you take your time it is easy.
Once I open the throttle housing is it easy to disconnect & reconnect the throttle cables or do I need to do something special??

·
Registered
42 Posts
When you open the housing you will see 2 buttons in the slots on the handle assembly. I had to pull the handle off the bar carefully and pop the cable buttons out of the old handle with a pointed object. Make sure you slip them in the new grip throttle assembly in the same configuration or slots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also, adjust the cables for maximum slack before you open the switch housing, that way the ends will almost fall out instead of having to be pried out. Makes things about a million times easier

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Grip Removal

I recently removed the stock grips on my 750, just before trading to the Kow...I used compressed air and blew the clutch side right off. I had to keep the air on under the grip as I worked it off, but had no problem doing so. Unless the grip has multiple lacerations along the length of the grip where the compressed air can escape, it is almost impossible for it to not blow up the grip. I did not glue down the new ISO grip when replacing.....Just didn't see the need to do so...........Good luck....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts