Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2009 1700 classic. The wife and i went out for a ride yesterday and about 20 minutes into the ride i was down shifting into 2nd and got a grinding noise like the gear wasn't engaged. The next stop i had the same issue and i hit the shifter a little harder. So i took the wife home and it didn't do it again. I took it out by myself same thing i could not get it to do it again. Any ideas????

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds like she is the problem. Leave her at home.

·
Registered
67 Posts
you might want to flush out the clutch fluid and refill with fresh dot 4 brake fluid. it could be that the clutch is sticking a bit and not fully disengaging when you down shift. also the bike is 10 years old this year and if the clutch fluid has never been changed then it is long over due. one thing you NEVER want to do is stomp on the shift pedal. the shift fork in the trans will bend or break, then your in for some very expensive repair work. after 10 years its probably time to change all the fluids.

·
Registered
154 Posts
What Rozie said above. Bike is First Generation Voyager 1700. Not sure how many miles, how many owners and where you bought. I'd change every fluid I could on the bike as well as filters. Maybe try synthetic or semi-synthetic oil. Lots could be going on here with a bike mfg in 2008 likely.

Also, there have been a couple of recalls on the older bikes. You can call dealer or Kawasaki USA with your VIN and see if the recalls have been done.

Good luck and safe travels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts