Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some diagnostic help. I was out riding today and noticed this combination of issues- odometer flashing on and off, loss of power (not complete loss, but definitely not normal power), and at one point the speedometer cut out and then came right back.

The bike never cut off and no warning lights came on (I don't think) or if they did tey definitely didn't stay on. Any thoughts? Anyone had the same issue? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Grounds

My 08 did something similar but in the end it actually died after farting around for about 10 minutes. I pulled the seat off and the ground was loose on the battery. It has been a while since I pulled my tank off but it seems to me that there was a ground wire to the frame from the gauge cluster connector.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
First thing that comes to mind, like others have said, is loose connections. Remove the small allen screw that holds the chrome (or black) bezel over the speedo. Remove, inspect, clean if necessary, and re-install the connector harness there.

Give the loss of power, I'd much more suspect the issue is under your seat though. Check that both battery connections are tight and clean. Often a screwdriver isn't enough, that's why those screws are also hex head! Put your wrench on it and get it tight, make sure they are clean and free of corrosion. Sometimes a little sandpaper on the terminals and connections helps, too.

Good luck!

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 08 did something similar but in the end it actually died after farting around for about 10 minutes. I pulled the seat off and the ground was loose on the battery. It has been a while since I pulled my tank off but it seems to me that there was a ground wire to the frame from the gauge cluster connector.
+1 on this! sounds like a loose connection at the battery !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Something similar happened to me last week on my 07 VN900B. My bike lost power at full throttle. If I ease off the throttle to say, half throttle, it will come back on, but if I go full throttle, it dies. It only occurred once and it went away after about 1 minute and hasn't happened since.

Back from when I was riding a two stroke bike with a carburetor, I remember having this issue if I keep the fuel really lean. With fuel injection and all, I don't know how it compares. I doubt it was a battery connection on mine though. Just wanted to share it in case someone has noticed anything similar.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I'm looking for some diagnostic help. I was out riding today and noticed this combination of issues- odometer flashing on and off, loss of power (not complete loss, but definitely not normal power), and at one point the speedometer cut out and then came right back.

The bike never cut off and no warning lights came on (I don't think) or if they did tey definitely didn't stay on. Any thoughts? Anyone had the same issue? Thanks for any advice.
When you say "loss of power" are you talking engine power as in it feels like it's missing a cylinder? If so then I would venture to say battery connection. If you are just refering to power to the instrument cluster and not the rest of the bike, then something with the ground or plug to the cluster. See Romans note above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks

I'll check the battery connections and connections under the cowl once the weather clears up. Working on the bike outdoors in a thunderstorm is no good.

As for the loss of power questions, I would say it feels like a cylinder is gone as opposed to just an electrical power issue. Able to keep speed on the highway, but acceleration/roll on speed was missing. I'll keep you guys updated on the progress. Thank you all for the advice. I love that there are people out there willing to help each other.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Still having trouble

I checked the battery connections and speedo harness, and they both look good. I also checked the other connections around the battery area, and this one puzzles me http://tinyurl.com/l8tnenq Is the yellow wire with the arrow pointing to it supposed to connect to something? I couldn't figure out where it went (or if it was connected to anything to begin with). Now the bike is totally dead. Ughhhh. I'd appreciate any more suggestions.

·
Registered
391 Posts
That yellow wire is not hock up to anything on my bike. My bike is new

If messing with the wire harness and battery connections made you lose power well then it is something with that. Does the battery have a good charge?? I am new to this bike stuff but being computer controlled, fuel injected, Coil packs. I could see a weak battery causing it to run bad because it would not be able to supply the amps. Just a thought. Have you had the battery checked?? Load test??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The battery is well charged. I can't figure out what I would have jostled when checking the speedo harness or other connections that would take the bike from running a little off to being stone cold dead.

·
Registered
391 Posts
you didn't by chance blow a fuse when you where checking the connection. Or how about the connection at the main fuse. that fuse is mounted on the starter relay behind the right side cover. Only other thing I could think of since you have no power.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Humble Pie

Turns out it was the battery. Lesson learned- just because the battery tender says the battery is charged does not mean the battery is producing the proper voltage. Thanks again for those of you who offered advice along the way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts