Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I wanted to stop in and say hi to the 900 forum. Just 1 week ago I picked up my brand-spanking-new 2009 900 Classic LT in white / titanium. So far I've only put about 250 miles on her, but they've been 250 great ones. (except for the 20 or so after my a$$ fell asleep on my one longer ride).

I must say, this bike is much nicer, in pretty much every way, than my old 1982 Yamaha SECA was.

Only complaint, like so many others on this forum, is the stock seats' lack of comfort, but i'm working on saving up to remedy that, unless the stocker breaks in before then.

I've bored out the center pipes of the exhaust already, and so far I like the sound.

Other things I want to do (so far) are engine guard, highway pegs, & passenger floorboards.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
782 Posts
My wife always complains that it isn't the initial cost of the toy that get's us. Its the accessories that come after!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Don't be too hard on your old Yami. I was watching 'On any Sunday' on Netflix yesterday (it's play on demand, watch it from the puter, COOL!) and they went over the bikes in competition back in 1971. Talk about 'You've come a LOONG Way Baby!' The Superbikes weren't up to Ninja's yet, the motorcross barely looked any different than street bikes. The Hill climbers were pretty funny as the Heavily modified didn't look any different then the street bikes and NOTHING like the half Sand Rail that they do today. It was pretty slick. They showed the hard riding that they were doing in Trials. Going over a downed tree and making a right hand turn right afterwards. They must flip now when the rider jumps up a 10 foot wall. Just incredible the distance they've come.

That being said, it IS nice to have a modern bike isn't it. All the basics are there just like they were in 81 BUT they've been smoothed and had more features added. EFI on a lot of bikes, you can ride from the the Culf of Mexico to the top of Pikes Peak and never have to adjust a carb. Disc brakes all around. Heavy chromed metal parts replaced by lightweight chromed plastic parts Just amazing. It's like we always say in Model Airplanes when guys say "What was it like in the Good Old days" we say "These ARE the good old days!"

Heck a fella can even buy a HD and NOT expect it to leak oil nowadays.

Anyways, I know you'll enjoy your 900. It's light, pretty well powered, easy to get through the city and will go long distances without trouble. If you find you wear out rear tires quickly there are many Car Tire options to use that will fix that problem. While it doesn't have the biggest charging system out there it does have enough to run electric gloves or extra spot lights and charge your GPS/cellphone/etc. Just maybe not all at the same time. It's also nimble enough to make parking lot practice almost as easy as riding a bicycle while still being light enough to get back upright for when you get a little slow in the peg dragging.

First things first though. Get those highway bars on. Don't wait till you can afford that and pegs, get it on now. You don't want the wind blowing over your ride and leaving you with enigine, tank and busted shield damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcomes!

Of course, right as I finished reading your post, MrClean, I looked out the window and the winds gusting to about 45 mpg today! I hope my bike can survive it out there in the lot. I'm too afraid to go check on it now, I'll have to get some guards on the way asap!

I'm not knocking my old Yammie, that things a pretty good bike really, considering it's 28 years old. I learned how to ride on, and put in a few thousand miles too. My biggest problems were the constant maintenance (fun over the winter though) and the riding position. I'm not a fan of the sportbike position too much.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I bought a 900 Custom for my wife in 08 'cause she said she might like to learn how to ride. Turns out she wants me to stop the bugs, bats, dogs etc, so the 900 is now my project bike. Saddlemen Profiler single seat, lowered rear end, Spitfire short shield, Cobra Boulevard HP 2into1 exhaust......fun 'n money, seems one costs the other. The 900 is a blast to ride, lots of low end power, and the exhaust howl is intoxicating at high speed. My only issue is that I am a little on the wide and mighty side, so I have to keep the suspension at 7 for my weight. With the lowered rear, it rides a bit like a hard tail. I guess I could diet........:)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Welcome. I am in the same boat. I got my `09 900 Classic LT Candy Red/Metallic Titanium two weeks ago. Only got 150 miles on it due to weather and a cold. It is my first motorcycle. Some people thouht I started too big and a littl eover half said it is a good size to grow into. Started easy by taking my first ride in the Suburbs on side streets to get the feel of starting and stopping and starting again. Next ride was out on a flat open country road with very little traffic. After that, I was brave enough to hit the main roads. Still not sure about the major highways yet. Need to work on that "break-in period."

·
Registered
59 Posts
I too am a new owner of a 900 LT - I put a gel pad and black sheep skin on my seat to soften the ride. I have already purchased a rear rack, throttle lever and new grips for the bike. I'm eyeing up lowers. I was thinking of getting highway pegs but my legs aren't long enough LOL

Enjoy riding your new bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts