Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished ordering my grasshopper backrest. I'm excited to see if it helps my back pain when I ride.

Also PSA: they are having a sale, was $85.55 shipped!

·
Registered
105 Posts
It is an easy install. If you like having a backrest, you will like the Grasshopper. The steel bracket goes between the seat and the original hardware under the seat. I think the instructions say "the bracket goes under the seat."

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got mine last year before a trip to the mountains. I had a pinched nerve in my right arm which would make my whole arm feel like a knife was being pushed slowly into it and the backrest saved me! I think you will love it! Posture is everything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is an easy install. If you like having a backrest, you will like the Grasshopper. The steel bracket goes between the seat and the original hardware under the seat. I think the instructions say "the bracket goes under the seat."
I haven't had a backrest before, so fingers crossed...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops I forgot to mention. While this backrest is sturdy, you can take it off in less than 2 seconds.
I saw a video of that on their website. Question, does anyone take theirs off when they park the bike for fear of it being stolen?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got mine last year before a trip to the mountains. I had a pinched nerve in my right arm which would make my whole arm feel like a knife was being pushed slowly into it and the backrest saved me! I think you will love it! Posture is everything.
That sounds horrible, glad it helped.
How strong is the mount? Worried I will lean back too hard and bend or break it...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I never thought about someone swiping it, but that could happen. Maybe drop it in a locked saddle bag?

As to the bracket sturdiness.....it is quarter inch heavy gauge steel. The best part is that the bracket (after the elbow) rests on a frame bar that is above the fender but below the seat. The bracket elbow cannot move down since the frame bar is beneath it..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never thought about someone swiping it, but that could happen. Maybe drop it in a locked saddle bag?

As to the bracket sturdiness.....it is quarter inch heavy gauge steel. The best part is that the bracket (after the elbow) rests on a frame bar that is above the fender but below the seat. The bracket elbow cannot move down since the frame bar is beneath it..
Awesome. Thanks.
I'm just a bit paranoid.
And some people are jerks...

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
918 Posts
It will flex slightly depending on how heavy you are.
You may need to put it in a vise and bend it slightly depending on your seating position and what feels comfortable to you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will flex slightly depending on how heavy you are.
You may need to put it in a vise and bend it slightly depending on your seating position and what feels comfortable to you.
Good to know, thanks.
Let's just say I am not a feather weight...
More in the heavyweight range. ;-)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just finished ordering my grasshopper backrest. I'm excited to see if it helps my back pain when I ride.

Also PSA: they are having a sale, was $85.55 shipped!
I have one…… It most definitely helps the back pain. Glad I got it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Until recently, I always enjoyed swinging a leg over a bike seat when there is no backrest. But now I'm willing to raise a leg like I'm running the low hurdles in exchange for the comfort of back support.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Until recently, I always enjoyed swinging a leg over a bike seat when there is no backrest. But now I'm willing to raise a leg like I'm running the low hurdles in exchange for the comfort of back support.
Yeah, I am gong to have to practice the mount and dismount once the back rest is installed. Don't want to look more stupid than normal. Lol.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I bought a backrest when I bought my bike new in 2017. Def love it. But I am closer to 70 than 60 and the backrest make getting on the bike a bit more of a chore. This past winter I did the kickstand mod that many do....the model # 34024-1330 kickstand is 2 inches longer than the OEM Voyager/Vaquero kickstand. It was used on several models. I got a used one on Ebay for $25 off a 1500 Drifter. The extra 2 inches make a real difference in uprighting the beast. Much easier and my wonky knees and back wish I had had done it 4 years ago. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought a backrest when I bought my bike new in 2017. Def love it. But I am closer to 70 than 60 and the backrest make getting on the bike a bit more of a chore. This past winter I did the kickstand mod that many do....the model # 34024-1330 kickstand is 2 inches longer than the OEM Voyager/Vaquero kickstand. It was used on several models. I got a used one on Ebay for $25 off a 1500 Drifter. The extra 2 inches make a real difference in uprighting the beast. Much easier and my wonky knees and back wish I had had done it 4 years ago. Just a FYI.
Good to know, thank you.
I am also not getting any younger...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts