Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me feed back on the Grasshopper driver back rest for the Voyager? most important to me is ease of passenger getting on and off bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have one on my 2012 VV. It's very comfortable for the driver, but cramps the passenger. My wife is a medium size. I don't use it when riding with her on board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have one on my Nomad and really like it. At first I did not like the "spring" feel of it but have grown to appreciate that design feature.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have one on our Voyager after a few modifications I like it but don't use it two up no room for us but will depend on the size of your passanger but removes easily

·
Registered
138 Posts
i have one but reduced the amount it goes back so the pillion has more room ,
it also gives me more support in the back as well.
they slide out real easy

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great for me and was exactly what I needed. Doesn't bother the wife at all also ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1434292115.834998.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1434292170.672600.jpg ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1434292223.941990.jpg so it's pretty much on all the time now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have it on my 2012 Nomad. Had some lower back discomfort from the stock riding position. This backrest completely solved the problem. I can ride all day in complete comfort. My wife no longer rides. Has a physical issue, but I see no difference for a rider to mount. If you need to remove the backrest for rider mounting, it simply slides right out.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Grasshopper... great and easy mount.... terrible pad. I put a Utopia pad on it. My wife has no problem getting on and off. But she is 5-7 105 pounds... the easiest way for your passenger to get on is before you do. If the motorcycle is hard for you to get up with passenger on put the bar all the way to the left, its normal position. When you get on turn the bar all the way to the right then bring bring it up like you are used to. Less resistance... front brake on...

You can give your passenger about two more inches room (Voyager) by taking the back rest off the trunk, taking those three vibration damper parts off and the foam damper along the bottom edge. Make three easy to make new mounting brackets (off set to match the dampers) with flat strap and put it back on. The backrest will then be tight against the trunk and the wife says it has a lot less vibration since I did that.

There are 3 of these and a large thick foam pad behind the Voyager backrest. You can see the gap between the trunk and pad all the way around it. Taking all that out moves the pad back 2 inches and then no gap....

Clipboard01.jpg

·
Registered
381 Posts
The Grass Hopper isn't very stiff or adjustable but if you are not wanting to buy a new seat with a built in back rest it's hard to beat for the price. It's very easy to remove so a passenger can get on or off but can be tricky to put back on correctly once a passenger is seated. Typically I have had to ask the passenger to lean back or lift them self off of the seat while attempting to line up the seat pad bar with sleeve in the seat.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
After 4 years on my Voyager it has made a permanent groove/hole between the seats and it slips right back in.... but it seldom comes off anyway....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Best thing i have bought yet, 1500 nomad, make the ride very doable for hours. i just ask the wife to spread the legs to put it in....love has its benefits

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I have an '08 V2k, and my wife gave me one for Christmas this past year. The mounting bracket did not fit my bike, so they agreed to send another one, the same one, and their argument was that it had always worked in the past. In my opiniion, they have failed to fabricate one to fit my bike, so I had to finesse the one they sent me until it fit in such a way that I didn't have a problem with it rubbing paint off my fender.

My wife has no problem getting on or off the bike with it in place. It does help with my back, and the next step is to get a better seat, Corbin, and I will be set for a longer more comfortable ride.

I would say that if you are considering getting/upgrading your seat, just do that, so you don't have to deal with grasshopper. They are not the greatest with customer service.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just purchased one about a week ago and after I modified it so it would not damage the passenger seat it works well. I emailed and sent a review after they asked me but they never contacted me like I asked them to.

I just used a simple hose clamp to keep the backrest from going too far back in the base unit. Very easy fix but I would think that Grasshopper would want to change the design flaw for the Voyagers.

Below are the pictures of my simple fix. I'm sure that they could come up with something better if they wanted to.

Grasshopper01 by Jim Diebolt, on Flickr

Grasshopper02 by Jim Diebolt, on Flickr

Grasshopper03 by Jim Diebolt, on Flickr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts