Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a GPS for some trips I am planning, but I'm not into paying the price for the Garmin Zumo (although I am fond of Garmin). I was wondering what others are using.

-Rigor

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yup, I'm doing about the same thing with a 255. Do some quick research though as the next model up or so allows you to use waypoints. With my model you can plan trips and send it to the GPS but it doesn't use way points SO you only get the information transferred over into your Favorites and have to select each destination from there. It WILL let you insert them in your trip as VIA points, but you have to select all of them.

Still, if you have a place you're going to go you can just enter the address and it will guide you there. My model also has a fuel useage monitor and game plus it has a nifty jpg viewer so you can show folks pictures of the grandkids and all. Why they figured I'd want that instead of a trip planner, I don't know. I hear some of the higher dollar units will play music, let you sync your XM radio, bluetooth, coffee maker and all that stuff through the unit itself. I kinda hope they get to use a trip planner but you just never know about the idiots that plan these things out. I'll bet they get a tone generator on the darn things so you can tune your guitar before adding the trip planner.

Another link that I can't find but like mentioned, I'm using the 1 inch handlebar mount that Nitro mentioned. It comes with it's own power supply with mini usb output adapter and all for around 20 bucks. You can wire that into your headlight or under tank 12 volt leads and have a power plug for your GPS or cell phone or any other unit with the correct plug in. I've just been using the cigarette plug adapter but when I do get it wired in that will allow me to run the gps and charge my cell phone at the same time.

·
Registered
976 Posts
By the way, I used a plastic bag with a rubber band around the base to keep it out of the rain but they sell little baggies units that are custom fit for that to make your GPS waterproof. They were about 20 bucks at cycle gadgets in Eureka Springs.

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I am considering getting a GPS for some trips I am planning, but I'm not into paying the price for the Garmin Zumo (although I am fond of Garmin). I was wondering what others are using.

-Rigor
Another thread going on same subject, some good info posted there already; TomTom

·
Registered
67 Posts
I just bought a C550 street pilot off of ebay for 40 bucks and a ram mount for 50? works good just had to use pvc glue to hold the gps to the actual rammount because it kept falling off

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I use a $99 Mio, allows you to put in multiple stops, trip and leg calculator, Canada and US mapping, 4.3" screen, Jpeg viewer, mp3 player but unlike MS Clean's ... no coffee maker. Doesnt matter what you use, they are all hard to see in the light, I made a shroud out of carboard(visor), covered it in duct tape to reinforce it , attached with velcro, need mounts try this site.

http://www.lidomounts.com/homepage.html
Cheers Maurice

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, I'm doing about the same thing with a 255. Do some quick research though as the next model up or so allows you to use waypoints. With my model you can plan trips and send it to the GPS but it doesn't use way points SO you only get the information transferred over into your Favorites and have to select each destination from there. It WILL let you insert them in your trip as VIA points, but you have to select all of them.

Still, if you have a place you're going to go you can just enter the address and it will guide you there. My model also has a fuel useage monitor and game plus it has a nifty jpg viewer so you can show folks pictures of the grandkids and all. Why they figured I'd want that instead of a trip planner, I don't know. I hear some of the higher dollar units will play music, let you sync your XM radio, bluetooth, coffee maker and all that stuff through the unit itself. I kinda hope they get to use a trip planner but you just never know about the idiots that plan these things out. I'll bet they get a tone generator on the darn things so you can tune your guitar before adding the trip planner.

Another link that I can't find but like mentioned, I'm using the 1 inch handlebar mount that Nitro mentioned. It comes with it's own power supply with mini usb output adapter and all for around 20 bucks. You can wire that into your headlight or under tank 12 volt leads and have a power plug for your GPS or cell phone or any other unit with the correct plug in. I've just been using the cigarette plug adapter but when I do get it wired in that will allow me to run the gps and charge my cell phone at the same time.

Do you know the name of the mount? That sounds cool!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a Garmin 1100 from Walmart for $99 bucks and a handle bar clamp on Ebay for $11 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130390396861&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
I just picked up the mount from ebay, 11$ shipped, I've spent more for less if it doesn't work, as I don't remember the size of my bars.

I'm using an old Garmin 340 w/Rammount. Works fine and passed the 4ft drop test on asphalt last weekend.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/gps_tether.htm

have you seen that link yet?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts