Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have searched and either I did it wrong or could not find what I was looking for. I have a 07 - 900 custom. I want to put a GPS on my bike but do not know which one would work best for my bike. Can anyone recommend a good GPS for me? Also for the riders out there that have one how is it on sunny days? Can you see the screen ok?

Thank you in advance!!

Nightfun

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Any GPS will work. If you buy one for a car, you should get a waterproof case and mount for it. You can find them on ebay. I have a Nuvi1300 I believe and a case. It works great for me, but I don't use the voice prompts.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You can spend as much or as little as you'd like really. I see plenty of 1-2 year old Nuvis for as low as $40 or $50 on craigslist here. A RAM mount is about $35 or a little more if you get the waterproof case with it. I got a Nuvi 255 a couple of years ago that I use in my truck and on the bike. If you just want something as a backup, a similar unit should do the trick or you can get one with spoken commands and bluetooth that will cost a few more dollars.

I typically study maps before I go somewhere but like having a GPS on long rides to find food/gas/hotels or so I can see what kind of curves are coming up to avoid nasty surprises. At first I put it between the handlebars and fairing pouch but got a lot of sun glare and often had to shield it with my hand.

Since then I've moved the mount to the left handlebar so it sits close to the mirror. Less glare, unless the sun is directly behind me, and I can make changes without moving my hand so far away from the grip. I carry a couple of zippered sandwich bags with me to protect it from rain. Even with a plastic bag and wearing gloves, I never have any problem getting the touch screen to work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you have a smart phone (iPhone 4s in my case) you can get a waterproof mount and use it. I got a kit from Ultimate Mobile in the UK for about $70 USD. It came with all the necessary power cords to wire it to my battery (actually, I put in a spare fuse box and wired it there).

For me, one less electronic piece to carry and worry about, and the nice thing is I can have multiple GPS programs and choose which one to use. I mostly use the Motion GPS app, which allows me to import a GPX file so I can follow a pre-planned route. Most GPS systems are point to point, with a max of 5 or 6 stops, with motion GPS I can create a route in Google Maps and quickly convert it into a GPX file for use with the program.

Edit to add: I should say that I also modified my left hand glove with a little conductive thread. This allowed me to keep my gloves on and still be able to manipulate the iPhone touch screen.

Doc

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Doc brings up a good point. Many (dare I say most?) of the more inexpensive GPS won't allow you to do a true custom turn-by-turn map route. You can set up a route but many will auto arrange it back to major roads or shortest distance or quickest time rather than the actual route you try to set up for that back road trek.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I use a Garmin Zumo. It's specially made for motorcycle use, 100% waterproof, works fine while wearing gloves, the screen remains visible in the sun, supports true custom routing, and comes with a RAM mount and motorcycle power adapter in the box.

It's more expensive than a standard car GPS, but you don't need any silly waterproof boxes or plastic bags... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Garmin Nuvi has worked great for me. While you cannot create a true custom route, you can alter your route by picking a couple of points on the route you want and make them via points. I mounted mine up high so I can easily see it.

It is actually up a little higher than in this photo, I use a RAM mount with no problems.

[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts