Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out and got a RAM quick-detach mount for my handlebar so I could have my GPS with me on rides. Works like a charm.

I was checking the odometer against the GPS' to see if the odometer was any more accurate than the speedometer. Nope! Turns out the odometer reads +4% to what it's actually traveled. So for every 100 miles you travel on the bike, the bike reads 104 miles.

This isn't surprising, as the bikes obviously read about +5mph over what you actually travel, using the stock set up anyway. I'm sure they read off the same sensor. I mean why wouldn't they?

I guess I just need to hurry up, wear down my rear tire, and put on a Metz or an Avon. Maybe I'll get a new pulley too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Warning - Speedometer error appears to have been corrected in 2012 at the latest.

Got a speeding ticket using the +5 cushion on top of my +7 usual cushion.

His radar read the same as my speedometer, +12 over the limit.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Warning - Speedometer error appears to have been corrected in 2012 at the latest.

Got a speeding ticket using the +5 cushion on top of my +7 usual cushion.

His radar read the same as my speedometer, +12 over the limit.
I have a 2013 and my speedometer is pretty close to my GPS MPH readout at slow speeds but gradually increases the spread as I get up to highway speed. I haven't paid much attention to it lately but last I checked the speedometer was reading about 4 MPH higher than the GPS at around 55 MPH on speedo.

My favorite rides are local back roads. I never got lost but didn't know where I was quite a few times. After a few times of "not being lost" I decided to buy a Garmin, I now ride with the Garmin set to see more area as I ride. That lets me see upcoming roads and sometimes where they lead to allowing me a little time to decide to go that route or keep looking for another. It adds another interesting layer to my adventures and sometimes keeps me from venturing down dead ends. My Garmin has a Nomad in the vehicles so I have that as my shown vehicle on the maps. It also lets me review my trips when I get home if I want to prove to my wife where I actual was while out of her sight. If you are looking to buy a GPS I recommend the Garmin Nuvi 2597. It's a little bigger (5") than normal ones and talks to you, except its hard to hear it at highway speeds but sometimes hearable at local speeds. I don't use that feature. It doesn't have a speaker jack so you can't use it with a communications system but it does have Bluetooth so I set it to pair with my cell phone and it will show incoming calls on the screen which will allow me some time to pull over and call back if its an important call. My wife knows not to call me unless its an emergency and she's aware that I will call her back when I can find a place to pull over. It's also not water-proof so I carry a ziplock baggie in my windscreen toolbag that will slip over the top. Also installed an axillary UPS jack on my handlebars that turns off with the bike, and a short UPS cord to connect to GPS. The battery life in the unit only lasts about two hours.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the info on GPS.

I had actually been wondering about getting one. Appreciate your going into detail.

Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hope like hell you're kidding about proving to your wife where you've been. I used to run with a guy who was in that situation. He lost a friend when that bitch got out of hand and started yelling at ME. Yeah, we were on Brooks Road in Memphis (the hooker hangout) but only because it had the closest hardware store too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hope like hell you're kidding about proving to your wife where you've been. I used to run with a guy who was in that situation. He lost a friend when that bitch got out of hand and started yelling at ME. Yeah, we were on Brooks Road in Memphis (the hooker hangout) but only because it had the closest hardware store too.

I've never showed it to her and even if I did she won't understand what she was seeing. I wish there was a local hardware store like that near me (maybe not because I would always be running there to buy stuff).:D

·
Registered
318 Posts
Lol, I was joking! Kinda...
But really, we were at the hardware store. That conniving hussy had some serious issues and put some kind of spyware program on his GPS and had it set up so that it would automatically download the route to her computer. She was some kind of IT tech and did this for commercial fleets for insurance purposes. She could even get a live feed on his location.

I did NOT appreciate being accused of dragging him to a whore house, and got downright murderous feeling when she threatened to go to my wife about it.

Yeah, we were getting some screws. Screws to use in building the deck she'd been on his ass about.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm retired IT myself but my wife is very low-tech. Her only use for her PC is to spend her day on Facebook.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interestingly, my iPhone GPS app read almost bang on the same as my speedo, but my Android GPS apps say it's about 5-7% slow.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Interestingly, my iPhone GPS app read almost bang on the same as my speedo, but my Android GPS apps say it's about 5-7% slow.
I've read somewhere that the cell phone GPS systems are not as accurate as a stand alone GPS. That don't make it so though. Another plus for the GPS is it uses no data minutes. I can say that on one occasion I drove past one of those radar signs that you sometimes see along the highways and it gave the same reading as my Garmin (which was reading lower than the bikes speedo). A one time thing and no real proof of much, but it more or less convinced me that the Garmin "may" be more accurate than my speedometer. It also means that you are not getting an accurate figure for gas mileage if you are using your bikes odometer to measure distance traveled per gallons used.

·
Registered
83 Posts
GPS vs Speedo

When I checked the speedo on my stock 2013 Custom with GPS it was reading about 10% too fast. To fix it I changed to a larger back tire (Commander II 170X80X15). Now the speedo is right on but the odometer is reading about 4% too short.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The idea that the speedo changed but the odo didn't is weird. I'd have figured that they are linked and reading from the same sensor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts