Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone

I am interested in buying a GPS Tracker and would really appreciate if anyone can suggest a good one which works. My bike is fairly secure at home behind a 6ft sliding gate, but when I am out and about, there could be a risk and my new Vulcan 900 Custom was actually quite an expensive bike (I am a retired old fart).

Having searched amazon and ebay, I found quite a few more expensive trackers that come with a plan ie: monthly fees. And quite a few cheapies where lots of people were complaining they dont work.

I bought one from the UK that wasnt cheap and it doesnt work (doesnt hold a charge and so no way to even get it going.)

As I dont live in the western world, I think the tracker that would work best for me would be a self contained tracker with no wiring to the Bike battery (charge at home etc), using a Sim Card and SMS to control the tracker and getting messages from the tracker on my mobile phone. But if a good tracker needs to be connected to the Battery, its not the end of the world. Just something else to hook up.

Has anyone else used a tracker on their bike? and if so,
* Can you recommend the tracker you use?
* Where did you buy it?
* How much?
* Is it a Sim Card / SMS model ?
* Did you have problems getting the tracker going?
* Does it really work?
* Is the supplier supportive if problems?

Any help and advice really appreciated

cheers

Roo

·
Registered
70 Posts
I like the Garmin GTU10. I have a 16yo in the house and I hard wired it into the car. From the internet or a smart phone I can check where the car is. It's $50/yr subscription to get the cellular tracking so just over $4/mo. I don't remember the unit cost but first year tracking was included.

Power by standard mini USB so you could hard wire into your bike too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GTU 10 GPS Tracker

Thanks for the suggestion. I did look at this one in Amazon but they advise it can only used in the USA... so no good for me as I am in Thailand.

Again, thanks for your reply

Roo

·
Registered
894 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spot Trackers

Hi Napom

Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't heard of these before and will check out asap

safe riding...

·
Registered
894 Posts
Not a problem . . . After looking the Trace up, I'm considering adding one to my bike too

This is what the basic 1st generation tracker does for you - I lent mine to a couple of friends who are on a ride to Alaska from Connecticut . . . Been following them for the last week as they travel. The trackers are nice to have first because they give you the safety of emergency contact even if there is no cell coverage, second because it gives family and friends the opportunity to follow along (if you want them to), and third because you can retrace your route afterwards.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0mfBmVmqqEJQBbqdSp0XFJOsk9ZpCfqrW

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow!~ what an amazing journey. The longest trip I have ever done here in Thailand is Bangkok to Chiang Mai (around 780kims) not that far. Around 400kms north of Bangkok, I hit a hidden pot hole at around 70kph and that bike basically went very very sick. Managed to make it to Chiang Mai and then spent a year rebuilding almost everything..finally getting so frustrated, I sold it and bought the Vulcan.

I have driven thousands of kilometers in Australia, mostly for work around the Northern Territory. Great fun especially the 4WD part.

Oh yes thanks for sharing the "findmespot" link too. I will be watching with great interest. Talk about remote riding! Amazing.

As for trackers, I have actually gone with something quite different than the spot: Xexun TK102-2 w/ SD Card which says it can handle 3G. Its self contained, fits in the palm of my hand, no wiring, no plans, uses a Sim Card to keep in touch etc

I am expecting it in around 2 weeks time and crossing my fingers and toes it works as advertised. I spent days and days searching.

Good luck with the Spot Trace. It definitely looks like it can handle what you need.. but where I am, I cant use any US plans. :eek:(

Cheers

·
Registered
894 Posts
The SPOT TRacker/Trace does not use cellular networks - The track link I sent you is from the 1st gen hand held Tracker - I love that thing - It has buttons to send pre-written text messages to up to 10 cell phones and emails and the SOS button if you are lost in the wilderness or if you have an emergency in the middle of now where with no cell coverage - It sends the SOS to the sattelites and to the SPOT control center - they then dispatch emergency services to your last know location and update the location if necessary, and make telephonic alerts to your emergency contacts. The fact that it doesn't require a cell plan and is not dependent on cell service make it irreplaceable for remote rides.

Oh - They work world wide too. I lent my tracker to one of Scouts who went to the World Jamboree in Sweden a couple of years ago and the rest of us were able to follow along with him.

Work has sent me to Alaska the past three years and I have taken it with me on rides from Anchorage to Homer, Seward, Valdez, Fairbanks, up the Dalton Highway to the Arctic Circle and across the Denali Highway.I also took it on our cross country ride from Virginia to the Grand Canyon & California and back. Having the one button to push at gas stops to let my wife, mom, and friends know I am OK and send out a GPS location so they can follow along was great! No need to use my texts, no need to rely on cellular coverage, no need to send multiple texts, push the button, fuel up, run in the station, use the facilities, grab a water, get back on the bike, reset the tracking and I'm back on the road . . .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like an awseum tracker. Once I get the one I ordered here, I will check it out and let you all know whether it was a great buy, or a lemon. I have to wait another 10 days because we have a couple of religious holidays coming up, and thats added a few days to the transit time.

Ah well... such is life

cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts