Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to give a 30 pin BlueTooth adaptor a shot and am looking for some feedback from those who are using or have used a GPS/Smart phone mount. What type & brand did you go with? What was the cost? How did it work for you and would you recommend it? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If the device you're using is important to you, definitely get the Ram mount; like the one ranger suggested. They are solid! A little ugly, but your phone/GPS won't go flying when you hit a bump.

I had one, on my old bike, and honestly; I don't know where it is! I couldn't see the phone in bright sunlight anyway, it always overheated; and at any rate, I can get along just fine with voice directions through the speakers or my headset anyway, so my phone stays in a pocket, saddlebag or glove box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That Ram Mount X-Grip is outstanding. One size fits most. The rubber stretch material is like a safety if it did get loose (which it won't). I have the mount with Ram's "tough claw" mount.

·
Registered
324 Posts
The Ram Mount is about as good as it gets. With the 1700's 1 1/4" handlebars finding a clamp to fit can be a challenge. The smallest/cleanest/neatest I've found is using a P-clamp and a handlebar clamp base.

Get one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-4024-Chrome-1-1-P-Clamp/dp/B000IOHI62/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1471994858&sr=8-5&keywords=kuryakyn+1+1/4

And one of these...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005J43I56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And get an 8mm Nylock nut or acorn nut to put them together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
115 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
lots of different bases out there. from suction cups, to replacement bolts with the balls attached, and some made specifically to go at the brake/clutch.

·
Registered
580 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Have you considered buying gps navigator for moto? You can get pretty cheap one from aliexpress. Mine working for 4 years now .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ram mount it is. I am leaning toward a mirror mount versus the handlebars. Any horror stories or suggestions with this type of setup?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I agree with using the X mount IF you need versatility.

If you have a set item (like a specific cell phone or GPS) and you're not going to swap day to day, there's a universal PDA holder that is perfect for newer iPhones and Androids. I've seen them priced at about $14 before and they really lock the phone in secure. It's not so easy to change to a different size item on a day to day basis because you have to remove it and adjust the side width.

Amazon Universal PDA Holder

Here's another trick. I needed to mount a hand-held CB radio. I have a Motorola that has a remote Bluetooth talk button and syncs Bluetooth to my Sena. I used a small block of plastic and made a fake iPhone (used the same size cover as my current phone so it fit in the exact same holder without adjustment). Then I mounted the small CB to the fake phone. When (or if) I ever need to use the CB, it fits perfect into the PDA holder. I can just leave the phone tucked away (you can control most functions from the helmet anyway).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts