Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has mounted a GPS to their 900 custom without a windshield? I'm not looking for anything fancy, but would like simple route/navigation solutions and the ability to display the current speed in MPH. Headset compatible would be nice, but I know that adds a bit to the price... Something less than $200.00 would be preferrable, so I can save for and purchase it fairly quickly.

Anyone share what they use, how they mounted, and willing to share pics?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I mounted a GPS for my husband's bike...trying to go low cost...

bought the mount off ebay... this should be the link...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-for-TomTom-ONE-125-130-130S-GPS_W0QQitemZ360129972821QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Accessories_Cables?hash=item53d96b4a55&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1234|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50#ebayphotohosting

and used our car GPS ... a TomTom 130. The thing only worked about 50 miles and then lost the ability to find satellites. We took it back to the store (thank goodness for the 20$ coverage plan ) and got a new one. Same thing happened to the second one !! Not willing to break the 3rd one but we now just carry the silly thing and take it out when stopped if we wanna check our route....

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes. we suspect vibration...something breaks inside
Maybe there is a reason they make the Tom tom Rider.....?
Yeah... *sigh* All those "motorcycle friendly" GPS units carry a heavier price tag, too. ;) There's a couple of Garmins out there too, was just hoping for success stories in regards to some of the cheaper units, LOL.

That's me, giant cheapskate!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a vey old Garman 2610 which I think is still out there for less than $200 and is built for a motorcycle (no harddrive, water resistant). I spent (I think) another $50 for a RAM mount. The 2610 is a perfect motorcycle GPS, the only thing it doesn't do is say the street name when it tells you about the next turn. It just says, "in 0.3 miles turn right" instead of "in 0.3 miles turn right onto Smith St".

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Garmin 260w (about $140 at Costco) I recently bought for the bike, and use with a Techmount chrome bracket. I use Velcro on the back of the unit to secure it, and so far, it has held up with no issues. I've used it on a few trips for several hours each. This weekend we're going to the Grand Canyon, so that'll be much longer, harsher test, but I don't foresee any issues. The only thing I'm concerned about is the glue that holds the velcro in place may get too hot and soft.

I wasn't sure if the velcro would hold it securely enough, but at the end of the trips, I still have to pull on it pretty hard to get it off the mount.

I'm thinking the velcro also helps soften the vibrations as well. This is my second Garmin unit (first one for the bike), and really like them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts