Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a GPS for the Voyager, I want a motorcycle specific one but the prices are way to much, Would a Garmin Nuvi 40LM be a good GPS, and what kind of mount should I get, I don't want to spend alot of money on one, because I will only use it a few times a year. I use my ph"s NAV, but if there's no internet, then the NAV doesn't work. Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm in the market for a GPS for the Voyager, I want a motorcycle specific one but the prices are way to much, Would a Garmin Nuvi 40LM be a good GPS, and what kind of mount should I get, I don't want to spend alot of money on one, because I will only use it a few times a year. I use my ph"s NAV, but if there's no internet, then the NAV doesn't work. Any thoughts and advice are appreciated.
If you're happy with your phone's nav... Have you thought about just installing an app like Sygic maps? Sygic is Tom Tom based, and I've used that on my Nomad without issue... On the Voyager the auto-rotation orientation sensors are messed up by the vibration, so I have to lock the screen into portrait mode... but otherwise it works well.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi in a Ram mount on my 800. Works great. Use a HD site for mapping routes, and download them to the Nuvi. No issues at all. Just keep a plastic sandwich bag and a couple rubber bands around for when it rains.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used a non motorcycle gps ( Nuvi) for a rew years. Really not bright enough to see in direct sunlight. If you have to shield the gps with one hand, and strain to see it...it's not the best thing.
I have the Zumo 220 (motorcycle specific). None of the bells and whistle- no built in XM, no built in mp3, etc. It does have bluetooth so you can hear voice prompts without wires, it is waterproof, and the sreeen in made to be bright enough to view in direct sunlight. I think I paid around $400 and came with mount

·
Registered
439 Posts
Gps

I have a Zumo550 love it but no longer made

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After a sleepless night and hours of looking at reviews, pros and cons of smart ph and gps I have decided to go with a Tomtom Rider, I am traveling a lot with the Military this year and need the GPS cause I plan on going to Canada in April, takes me forever to make a decision, hopefully it works out.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
I had a Zumo 550, it died this year and I replaced it with a TomTom Rider. In terms of GPS features, both worked very well with my bike. The Zumo might have been a bit brighter, but I understand the newer Garmins aren't quit as bright. The TomTom lacks the breadcrumb trail of the Garmin, but lifetime map updates are free and I find the TomTom a bit easier to use.

Despite years of trying, I couldn't get the Zumo to work properly with my cell phone and Cardo headset. The TomTom works perfectly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a Tom Tom one XL on both my Goldwing and my Nomad. I use the Ram mount and move it from one to the other. There is also a Sunshade available that covers the top and sides of the GPS mount and is held on by velcro. It works good unless the sun is behind you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts