Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me advice on getting power to a GPS, NOT coming straight from the battery. When I shut the bike off (2010 Vulcan 1700 Classic,) I want the GPS to power down, not drawing from the battery. I know how to hook a lead up to the battery, but I feel that's not the right way.
Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hey, When I mounted my garmin on my voyager using the mount that attaches in the center of the handlebars and replaces the handlebar mount clamps so it is a permanent mount I removed the front cowling shell and spliced the power wire into accessory plug on the RH side of cowling it turned on and off with the key. If your bike does not have an accessory plug you may want to try and splice into running lights or any thing that turns on and off with the key. A gps does not draw that much power so what ever you tap into should be fine. If you do decide to splice into the running lights/blinkers make sure you tap into the running light side not the blinker so you have continuous power. Maybe check it with a voltmeter first.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
You need to find a power wire that is only on when the key is on. Tap into that wire to trip a relay. The power for the GPS will run thru the relay which only allows the current to flow when the trip circuit is powered. Any keyed on power wire will do. You could use the rear running lights, for example. Google "installing an automotive relay". There is a lot of good info, diagrams, etc., available. You can get a relay at any auto store.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
In my profile I have some pics and very basic notes on how I did an extra switched fuse box that powers my GPS and other items, it might be useful to you
Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts