Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 places to connect my garmin zumo 550 gps power cable, 1- inside headlight bucket accessory leads, 2- rear accessory leads (but not sure where those are at), 3- battery terminals. Where should I do the hookup at?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I installed the cradle and power cable, used the (+) (-) always hot accessory leads inside the headlight bucket, now going to put music on a SD card and plug that into the Zumo

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Personally, I never power accessories from an always on source unless I install a manual switch in line or a relay to a keyed source. If that GPS goes into a sleep mode when power is removed and you can find a mount that can even remotely be considered "secure" you might be happier with a power source that turns on with the key. From the battery or the headlight bucket (if there is room), that can be accomplished with a relay.

I have a TomTom Rider 400 with their "secure" RAM mount. A determined thief could defeat it, but you won't casually remove the GPS when it is locked in. I like that the GPS goes to sleep when I turn off the power at the key. Chances are that I will never kill my bike battery because I forgot to turn off an accessory, but those chances rise to near certainty the further I am from home or civilization. Just like the stator on my Sabre burned out, not once, but twice when I was in the middle of nowhere! :sidefrown: Murphy was a real jerk.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the power to cradle always-on is kind of handy when turning off the motor to gas up and then starting up again and the gps still has a sat signal and map running

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
the power to cradle always-on is kind of handy when turning off the motor to gas up and then starting up again and the gps still has a sat signal and map running
I've never used a Garmin GPS, but my TomTom Rider goes to sleep when the power is cut and starts back up, almost instantly, when power is restored. Within a few seconds, all Bluetooth and sat signals are fully operational. If I shut it down completely, well, that's another story, but it can stay in sleep mode for at least a couple of days without depleting the battery, which is usually fully charged from riding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts