Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeking aid and assistance. I have a 2003 Nomad, and I would like to find a GPS. I have the power outlet, but I have been having a tough time finding a GPS unit that willl take heat and water, and keep on "ticking".

Anyone have experience that they will share?

Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sandwich
I am seeking aid and assistance. I have a 2003 Nomad, and I would like to find a GPS. I have the power outlet, but I have been having a tough time finding a GPS unit that willl take heat and water, and keep on "ticking".

Anyone have experience that they will share?

Thanks
My garmin has never failed in heat or cold (range 20 to 110 f) when raining i remove it or put a sandwich bag over it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What model are you guys using? I know I will get one that I also get lifetime maps, and can also use in my truck.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Its' a Nuvi 1450. Has lifetime maps and the "Traffic" avoidance capability. I use an HD site to create routes that I download to it for trips that I map instead ot it. Noramally I run with it off. Just enjoy the ride and when I get lost, or it gets late, I turn it on and have it route me home!

·
Registered
149 Posts
A Garmin "ZUMO" series will operate in all weather conditions, some are even designed for motorcycles.
I believe harley even offers the zumo series in there accessories catalogue.
However, they are a bit more pricey, also you can purchase a sun shade/shield for them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driving around Tejas, it's a great idea to have gps. There are some great rides, and normally I won't use it either. It is a necessity to have when freewheeling. I've been places and wanted to get from here to there, and took choices that would last 5-20 miles. The road would then dead end, or just end, and we had to turn around and return the way we came in. Not a horrible thing, as long as the gas tank is full or replacement ports are available.
I do enjoy taking unplanned trips, but am looking forward to having assistance once I get on the road. Thanks so much for the info.

Rubber rolls and chrome shines! and the two should never swap sides!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Buy a Garmin. I have had the same Garmin Zumo 450 for 10 years and kept it through 3 different bikes. It has seen rain, wind, heat, cold, been banged around and it has kept on going. If I ever buy another motorcycle gps it will be a Garmin.

·
Banned
334 Posts
I love my Garmin Zumo 220. Rugged, weatherproof, designed for motorcycle use.

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
With todays Phones who needs a GPS, I map all routes on my Iphone, Most all phones have blue tooth for handsfree

·
Registered
240 Posts
With todays Phones who needs a GPS, I map all routes on my Iphone, Most all phones have blue tooth for handsfree
Don't have a cell phone. That way I won't have to be bothered when ridiing. I call back when it is convenient.:call-me:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Don't have a cell phone. That way I won't have to be bothered when ridiing. I call back when it is convenient.:call-me:
Yikes!! well guess your out of luck if you need 911 and no one else is around

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yikes!! well guess your out of luck if you need 911 and no one else is around
Yes, sometimes the simple life lets me reflect on other things more... Sometimes we can't imagine how people ever got along without such things as cell phones, or gps maping units for all that. But, I am happy for the peice it gives me at times. Thought I could not live without it for the reasons you expressed. But, after a few weeks of not having it all was forgotten.:eek:

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Guess what???? I still pack laminated paper maps. oh my PAPER MAPS. Yes paper maps. The battery will never die on paper maps. For real though, GPS is a nice tool to have but I just never got one or started using one. I like studying a new area before heading in somewhere being lead by GPS. Most road databases (ex. Navteq) that a lot of GPS manufacturers are now just getting somewhat reliable in my area. Everyone I knew that used them ended up getting lost. They are only as good as the road data base. I would look to see who they (Garmin, Magellan, TomTom,...) gets their info from and see what it looks like before you buy.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Guess what???? I still pack laminated paper maps. oh my PAPER MAPS. Yes paper maps. The battery will never die on paper maps. For real though, GPS is a nice tool to have but I just never got one or started using one. I like studying a new area before heading in somewhere being lead by GPS. Most road databases (ex. Navteq) that a lot of GPS manufacturers are now just getting somewhat reliable in my area. Everyone I knew that used them ended up getting lost. They are only as good as the road data base. I would look to see who they (Garmin, Magellan, TomTom,...) gets their info from and see what it looks like before you buy.
Very thoughtful. Even our high tech nuclear military subs have paper maps in them as well. A good thought to have as a backup plan, or even priority plan.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Very thoughtful. Even our high tech nuclear military subs have paper maps in them as well. A good thought to have as a backup plan, or even priority plan.
At my previous job I was a Surveyor and Draftsman. The owner company would not let us go out in the field and run the instrument with out being able to calculate basic surveys with a calculator. You do not want a construction crew waiting just because you lost the cable or your battery in your data collector is dead.

As for the maps I have pretty detailed state maps that I keep in the house and I have a major highway map I keep in my saddle bags at all times.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I did the Aqua Box and I ran into heat issues on even a warm spring day (80F).

I really think the best solution are the all weather garmin options. What I do though, is I have a bluetooth headset in my helmet that I use to talk with my wife, but it also pairs with my iPhone (and many BT enabled GPS units). I can't see it, but I can hear the voice turn by turn which is enough for me. The phone is safely tucked away in a saddlebag or tour pak, plugged into a USB charger.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think i like the charger and headset tucked away in the saddlebag idea, for use when you need it the most.
That is a good suggestion, thanks.
I find that using the GPS in my phone really eats up the battery reserve.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I think i like the charger and headset tucked away in the saddlebag idea, for use when you need it the most.
That is a good suggestion, thanks.
I find that using the GPS in my phone really eats up the battery reserve.
That's why I have a charger routed into my tour pak, I can charge the phone in there. It then bluetooths to my helmets headset (which is waterproof). I don't get to look at the map, but I don't find I need to, I get the turn by turn audio (and music too!) through my headset.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts