Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a gps to mount on my 900. Does anyone have any recommendations on type and features that work best with motorcyces? Maybe a good mounting bracket also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey guys. I'm looking at getting a gps to mount on my 900. Does anyone have any recommendations on type and features that work best with motorcyces? Maybe a good mounting bracket also. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Rick
I'll start. I'm using the Garmin Zumo and it suits my needs.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

Thanks, Rick
Lidomounts.com should help you out. A gps debate is like a which oil thread. I paid. $99 for my Mio, ... i use in my tractor trailer and bike. Person preferance, but you don't hve to spend big dollars.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
For those of you who use a GPS, are you able to hear it as you ride?
If it is Bluetooth ready and you have a scala intercom you can ... otherwise to much wind noise.

·
Registered
218 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Keep in mind whatever you buy it should be waterproof.
I've been using car units and Ziploc bags for years with no issues. I just can't justify the extra expense.
Sandwich bag and rubber band for my Nuvi250 and Nuvi 780. Been in downpours and rode in rain many times. Use a garmin handlebar mount for bicycles, have over 15k miles on the 780, still rock solid. The 780 for some reason was shutting off(wired to 12v on bike), I filed on the mount stop just a little to apply more pressure for it into the seat and it woks fine now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
try mountguys.com I have one of there brackets for my garmin, had it for two years and never had a problem. it is easily installed had holds the gps very well, however the connection that comes with it for the power I have found the plug corrodes easy. so put a cigarette lighter plug on the handle bar and I use the auto plug that came with the garmin. works great for me.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'll be able to use my TomTom in one of these when it turns up soon (ordered a week ago)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320715319602&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:AU:1123

Cheers
I have that exact same mount. It has a battery compartment that holds eight 2A or 3A batteries to power the GPS (mine is a Tom Tom). I found that it did not hold tightly enough to my bars while riding with the plastic screw provided. Tomorrow I may try replacing it with a metal screw for a tighter hold. Wind may have also been a factor but I have a windshield now to reduce that. Overall though, I like the design of the mount.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have that exact same mount. It has a battery compartment that holds eight 2A or 3A batteries to power the GPS (mine is a Tom Tom). I found that it did not hold tightly enough to my bars while riding with the plastic screw provided. Tomorrow I may try replacing it with a metal screw for a tighter hold. Wind may have also been a factor but I have a windshield now to reduce that. Overall though, I like the design of the mount.
thanks for the hint mate (windshield here as well- so it will work out)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
try mountguys.com I have one of there brackets for my garmin, had it for two years and never had a problem. it is easily installed had holds the gps very well, however the connection that comes with it for the power I have found the plug corrodes easy. so put a cigarette lighter plug on the handle bar and I use the auto plug that came with the garmin. works great for me.
Mount is not my goal, I have a genuine Garmin mount just like what Cruiser is buying, worked flawlessly for last 3 years, I want a cover like that though without buying another mount

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use a Garmin Nuvi mounted to the handlebar and also wired the cord into the headlight, so it is easy to use. I have a windshield and the unit has not gotten wet yet. Used it to ride out to the Rockies up to Yellowstone and back last year will use it to go to Canada next week. The bracket and cable were less than $50 and I bought a used gps on ebay in case it got ruined, still working. knock knock knock

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I want to thank all of you for your thoughts on my GPS query. I feel this forum is invalueable for information reguarding the Vulcan 900. Now I just have to decide which way to go. Again thanks for all of your help.

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I want to thank all of you for your thoughts on my GPS query. I feel this forum is invalueable for information reguarding the Vulcan 900. Now I just have to decide which way to go. Again thanks for all of your help.

Rick
Oh no, you aint getting away that easy. There'll be at least ten or so more post, each with another idea on what works well(for them) and what you should stay away from. Stick around!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts