Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been sitting here at work pulling my hair out because of this. Since I work in GIS, a vast majority of GPS base stations upload to a government FTP site that is available to our software to post-process our data. I know there are more people out that this situation has affected, and worse than it has me. I don't want to start a political debate on who's fault and such, but just wondering how many people on here it has affected.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Shots fired in DC and a chase ends at/near the capitol....
Wonder if it will make a positive difference for those guys??

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Funny, I've been telling the guys here at work we ought to go ahead and fund obamacare but defund all security for all congress and the president. When our elected leaders have to face the people they've been screwing over for years without protection, things will start getting fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
And no, it wasn't me shooting at the Capitol. I'm here in the great state of Texas today.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I know a lot of people have it worse than we do. For us/here/now, it's just a matter of getting jerked around every day. We've been on again/off again more times since Tuesday morning than I can count and people aren't talking to each other.

So it isn't "bad" for us, it's just annoying and embarrassing since we have international students who are seeing this.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
I thought most Texans carried guns with that kind of range!
It depends on the occasion. Most people I know have special "favorite" guns for different occasions; kind of like women and their shoes. Most of mine are safely locked away or buried somewhere. I'm not saying which.:D

I feel for you guys that work for the federal government. Not so much the elected, but those hired on. I do agree with the "right wing extremists " though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This shutdown stuff is really getting crazy. Walk up monuments in DC are getting fenced off, the Grand Canyon has been filled in and now Lake Mohave has been completely closed to boating. Tearing off mattress tabs and other anarchy was fun on Monday, but now it is getting serious. I may have to settle for Lake Havasu.

Put me down as a right wing extremist also. Like any extremist, I have a gun for any occasion, including a couple to surrender when they come door to door collecting them in case I don't feel like getting in a shootout that day.

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I work for a firm in support of, so I'm in the office regardless. But yea, it sure is getting quiet around here. I was thinking of maybe renting out a floor or two for some paintball tournaments ... might as well turn a profit someway!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Been working for free since Oct 1. Management basically told us to show up and we don't know when we're getting paid. All leave cancelled, people were called back from vacations. You either show up to work without getting paid or you go on furlough.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Shots fired in DC and a chase ends at/near the capitol....
Wonder if it will make a positive difference for those guys??
Not sure where you're going with this.

The only shots fired were by the police and Secret Service.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Work and not get paid, or stay home and not get paid?

Perhaps I'm missing the point?
From what I understand from some friends; it may be a situation of 'phasing in' furloughed employees. Also, maybe (and it's MAYBE) these employees who are working for free will be back-paid. It's not guaranteed, but if you sit at home; you'll get nothing. If you show up, you MIGHT get back pay. At least; that's how I understand it.

Scary times. I can remember my grandpa telling me when I was a kid I had three choices in life to have a secure future. Either go work for a big plant (St.Louis used to have Ford, GM, Chrysler, AND Boeing! Boeing is still here and Ford is coming back... but that's it, and they are much smaller operations.), get a government job (we see how that's going) or go to college (the route I took; but with cost hundreds of percentage points above what it was even just a few years ago, and fewer and fewer jobs!)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I should have said come to work and get paid later, who knows when?? All we were told was you'll get paid eventually. Try telling that to the mortgage company, utilities company, credit card company and see what they tell you. All these BS because the elected officials can't get their sh!t together.

·
Registered
77 Posts
All I know is, where do I sign up for a job where I don't have to accomplish anything but I still get paid?
Isn't that called Welfare? Fill out a form, don't lift a finger and the government will give you a check, housing, food and a cell phone...pretty cush living IMO...

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
My younger brother is serving in the US Navy and can't get uniform supplies, dry cleaning, or even food on base. At his base, even the 'chow hall' was staffed almost entirely by civilian employees (active duty sailors who worked there have been temporarily moved into other duties since there's isn't enough of them to keep it open).

While it's not the end of the world, he does have to drive 20 minutes now to a grocery store in town to get food. On base there's nothing. It's all closed. Though, lucky for him, he's active duty / full time military (not a reservist or anything) so he, for now, is not at any risk of furlough.

Get this though; his boss? A civilian contractor; retired from the Navy and returned to the same job/office/desk/title as a civilian contractor. He got furloughed. So while my brother remains, his boss is gone. That's a little backwards in the ways most private companies do it right? LOL. Hey, maybe some work will get done now :p

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
There is a buttload of people who have lost their jobs over the last several years. Not to sound bad, no doubt it will come across that way, but do government employees deserve any more sympathy than others?

Government employees more than likely aren't actually out of a job as we all know this will be settled sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts