Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my Vaquero for a couple years now and I'm the only owner and with the exception of a few things I don't like about the bike, I've been pretty happy but never quite completely "sold" on it UNTIL the Saturday before last.

My wife and I got a late start, on a rare Saturday I was free, and headed out for a nice little ride. Our plan was to take a ride for about an hour and head to the dealership where we bought it as they were having an after hours party/sale that night.

The ride was beautiful and uneventful until, we turned to head back into town and to the dealership. About a mile into our final road my wife commented on the "com" that we just passed a deer on the right, no harm no foul.... We were riding past a big grassy opening and something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye on the right so I looked over, fortunately it wasn't anything... As I was bringing my head back forward I hear my wife yell DEER on the "com". As my eyes finally adjusted to directly forward of us I saw it, a big freaking deer jumping right into the front of our bike...

I had just enough time to brace, and cover the clutch before impact and that was it.

BAM! we hit the deer almost square on and flung it back into the ditch where it was coming from but; not after it managed to rack up $6200 of damage, destroying my fairing, left side crash bar and most everything up front including flopping it's dead body back into my left leg. Man did that hurt...

Through all of this the bike never even wobbled and if it weren't for my leg hurting so bad, and needing to pick up pieces of my bike from all over the road, we could've kept heading on into town.

I stopped about 75 yards down the road and had to get off the bike to try to relieve the pain in my left leg. In the mean time my wife asked me what was in the left fairing compartment, worried my phone was in there like usual. As I told her no, it was just my wallet and the garage door opener she then informed me that there was nothing in there and no door anymore, UGH!

My wallet was spread across the road with my bike parts but fortunately it was all there.

The pain in my leg subsided and I could walk so I checked out the bike and all looked "drivable" even missing a number of parts and the fender being dented and bent to the right a bit.

We called 911 to report it for insurance and then decided to see if the bike was ok to ride the last 15 miles back into town. Although my handlebars were pulled down about 4" from normal the bike rode quite well.

We rode back into town and dropped it off at the dealership to begin it's makeover. The whole time back in I was creeping along with my flashers going and watching everything I could all the while thinking I couldn't believe how lucky we were, God had certainly looked out for us that day and how sturdy my Vaquero really was/is.

My wife, who was scared to ride before and even after we bought our first bike, said she didn't ever feel like she was going to be thrown off the bike or even needed to grab ahold of me or the bike, she too was impressed how our Vaquero "Onyx" handled it's ordeal.

Only by the grace of God and our sturdy Vaquero are we virtually unhurt. We both even worked all day Sunday as well. My leg was pretty sore and swollen like crazy but that's it, so thankful....

So the bike is still at the dealership waiting on parts but, in the mean time I thought I'd share how impressed I am with the sturdiness of the Kawasaki Vaquero. I was, and still kind of am, a Honda guy but, man oh man am I glad I wasn't riding my former 750 Shadow Spirit, I think things would've been much different if I was on that bike.

Kudos to Kawasaki for building a very sturdy bike for us to ride....

Ride safe y'all.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the last of the pics.

The black and lighting don't show all the damage clearly but you can see the most of it. Surprisingly there wasn't more.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
a good testament for the bike! but more important is that you both came out of that incident virtually unscathed! that is what really matters.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Impressive story, Glad it had a great outcome!.. I am shocked that it's 6200 dollars worth..wow!

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Maybe Kawasaki gets credit for building a sturdy motorcycle. I think you deserve credit for keeping your cool and keeping the bike upright. And of course God probably had something to do with the outcome too. Glad you're both OK. What is that gizmo below your radiator?

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Maybe Kawasaki gets credit for building a sturdy motorcycle. I think you deserve credit for keeping your cool and keeping the bike upright. And of course God probably had something to do with the outcome too. Glad you're both OK. What is that gizmo below your radiator?
part of the chin spoiler, the left part of the lower fairing was ripped off, it connects to the bottom piece

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Impressive story, Glad it had a great outcome!.. I am shocked that it's 6200 dollars worth..wow!
I hit a deer back in 06 on My 650 mile new Nomad and it was between 7 and 8000 damage. I also went down due to the deer jumping into the windshield and it was so fast I could not react to the force from the side up high. I also had all 4 crash bars ground off and both saddle bag lids damaged. Bike flopped over after I kicked away from it as there was a car behind Me and I thought I would surely get run over too if I did stay sliding down the road with the bike. Not to mention windshield and all brackets. Headlight. 1 blinker, front fender, tripletree broke and tank dented. Both grips and levers and both floor boards.
I think My repairs were very fair. These deer will sure make You paranoid for a long time after You meet one in this way.
Allen
Glad You and the wife were not hurt bad. I broke a thumb and scraped a knee in My mishap. Lucky too.
Shep

·
Registered
894 Posts
Glad you two are OK . . . Way to keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I read the whole story and then looked and saw that you are a couple hours north of me.

If you had been on a bike without a frame mounted fairing, you probably would have gone down. The fairing kept your steering from being thrown to the side. Another reason why frame mounted fairings trump batwings.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I read the whole story and then looked and saw that you are a couple hours north of me.

If you had been on a bike without a frame mounted fairing, you probably would have gone down. The fairing kept your steering from being thrown to the side. Another reason why frame mounted fairings trump batwings.
Great point, another reason to prefer the frame mount (possibly the best). Glad to hear Allen and his wife were not seriously hurt. The weight of the bike may also have been a benefit in this head on contact. :)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Glad to hear you both are relatively unhurt. Cudos for keeping your cool too :)

·
Administrator
12,005 Posts
This has to be the first deer accident I have read where the owner could ride the bike afterwards! usually the bike or the rider is incapable! Great job by both bike & rider!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Glad to hear you and the wife are OK. Its amazing that you did not not have catostrophic damage to the bike. Deer are pure muscle. Man I thought South Floridians had it bad. We only have to watch out for Gators crossing the highways and over medicated senior citizens. Not many deer though.

Glad you are OK

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow!

I live in 'deer country' and it's a constant fear. I watch for 'eyes' on the side of the road and am in constant lookout for them. More than a few times I've grabbed those brakes hard because of one of those brown monsters. Glad to hear you fared so well!

I was at a dead stop (in a car) when one of those suckers tried to jump over the hood and missed and did $3,500 worth of damage! STOPPED!

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
up here in Central Florida, we have deer, turkeys and wild hogs on the side of country roads.. heck sometimes early morn you will see deer along the side of I-95

1 - 15 of 15 Posts