Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I love my 2013 Voyager I have put her on the market. My hip problems continue and lifting the bike isn't helping. I rode a friends Electraglide last week and I was surprised at how much lighter it feels and handles. The Voyager ride is smoother but it is time to move on. My ad is posted in the Des Moines Craigslist. You might read it as I enjoy writing Craigslist ads!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
You might need a different seating position. Try a sport touring bike like the triumph trophy. It will ride circles around the Voyager and weighs over 350 lbs less.

Not sure how an electraglide can weigh less, unless it is older with the smaller engine.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If your problem is just getting it off the side stand there's a fix for that by getting a longer side stand from a pre 2006 Kawasaki 1500 or 1600 or order part number 34024-1330 it will stand the bike up straighter making it much easier to get upright ...hope it doesn't rain out Newton bike night this Friday if not look for a white voyager pulling a trailer that us and you can look at the difference

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If your problem is just getting it off the side stand there's a fix for that by getting a longer side stand from a pre 2006 Kawasaki 1500 or 1600 or order part number 34024-1330 it will stand the bike up straighter making it much easier to get upright ...hope it doesn't rain out Newton bike night this Friday if not look for a white voyager pulling a trailer that us and you can look at the difference
That's part of it - it is just the overall weight - holding it up, etc. If we are in town Friday Night I'll look for you. They did a poor job letting people know when they canceled last time and I think it will have an effect on the crowd this Friday night.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might need a different seating position. Try a sport touring bike like the triumph trophy. It will ride circles around the Voyager and weighs over 350 lbs less.

Not sure how an electraglide can weigh less, unless it is older with the smaller engine.

I looked at sport touring bikes and am afraid that where the footpegs are would be a problem. I had trouble with my Goldwing getting cramps in my hip due to the foot position being behind the knees. I like the forward foot position. The Electraglide has a lower center and balances better than the Voyager. I'm not into the whole "Harley" scene but I really liked how my friends handled compared to the Voyager.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
The issue is balance, for sure. I've ridden an Ultra and yes, they are a little lighter off the side stand. Removing the trunk on a Voyager makes a big difference too, worth a try. And yeah, if you were riding an older Electra Glide, that'll make a difference. Just a few years ago they were 1300cc's. (Now just shy of 1700cc with the current model)

I'll second the motion of a sport touring bike. Nice and light but also super capable. I considered a Concours over my Vaquero.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Trike it or put a wheel kit on it and your leg issue is gone.... I have had both.....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi GL

Before selling that gem, take a look at "LegUp" by Chopper Design. These things will let you ride the bike like it was designed to be ridden and give you that assistance you (and me in a few years) need. I don't have any dog in the fight with these folks, but I think it's the way I will go when the time comes... IMHO
Best of luck with whatever you decide,
WEG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi GL

Before selling that gem, take a look at "LegUp" by Chopper Design. These things will let you ride the bike like it was designed to be ridden and give you that assistance you (and me in a few years) need. I don't have any dog in the fight with these folks, but I think it's the way I will go when the time comes... IMHO
Best of luck with whatever you decide,
WEG
Interesting but looked at an Electraglide and am going to buy it. I can make a smoking deal on my 2013 with ABS. $11800

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I'm only 190 lbs and have no issue getting the bike off the side stand. I use my legs, not my arms.

The Goldwing is a different beast all together. The seat sits you where it does feel weird to put your feet on the pegs. The seat is like a cruiser, but the pegs are like a standard.
A sport tourer places your feet in a natural position for you sitting stance. If you haven't tried one and your legs are long enough, you should give one a try.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Does the longer kickstand mentioned above work on a nomad?
Its the longer Nomad kickstand that we are putting on the Vaqs and Voyagers....

I only did it for the looks. Does not look like it is going to fall over with the longer kickstand...

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
So Bubba, which one did you prefer? Why?
I had a HD trike for a little bit. Didn't really want it at the time but the price was unbeatable. It was underpowered for a trike but it was only a sportster conversion.. Sold it to a woman rider suited her fine.

My last big scoot a Yamaha Venture, I put a Voyager wheel kit on it after my first heart attack so the wife could still get around should it happen again when we were on a trip (it did) . It was their first generation kit. Only 5 minutes to get on or off... the newer generation has better suspension for it. I have two friends in Nevada with the newer versions. Right before I traded in the Venture on the Voyager I sold the kit to another Venture rider who had part of his right lower leg removed from diabetes. We integrated the brakes so the front brake lever went to both the front and rear brake. He said it was no harder to pull and stop.

With a wheel kit I would recommend running a car tire on the rear. It will last longer as tires do not last quite as long because the only part of the tires that ever touch the road id the 3 inches dead center.. Also do your best to find someone with a wheel kit, look at it, ride it... trikes/wheel kits do not ride the same as a two wheeled scoot.

You can stop much better with either a kit or trike. Ride in the snow like I did all the time, pull a much bigger trailer.

I have nothing but good things to say about both. Know a LOT of people with both...

The retractable landing gear wheel kits are really cool, expensive, and do not fit a vast majority of scoots like wheel kits do. There are several brands of kits out there. About 1/4 the price or more than trike-ing out a scoot.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
The Leg Up company mentioned in an earlier reply is a great alternative to a trike, and way cheaper, too. The website is www.landinggear.com. They have their 2nd generation product on the market now. For only $3500, it seems like a viable solution. Check it out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I have had the Electraglide for 4 days and I love it. Much lighter and easier to handle. Not quite the ride on the highway but I can live with it. I have had many bikes: first and second generation Ventures, several Road Stars, 4 Voyagers, a Cavalcade, VTX 1800, Yamaha Tour Deluxes, several 80's Goldwings, Suzuki Burgmans, an Ultra Classic, Road Glide, a 1800 Goldwing Trike and a few others. Every bike was a joy to own and had its good and bad points. Least favorite was the Goldwing trike. Anyway, the bike that fits my needs now is the Electraglide. Thanks for your input. Here is the EBay link to my bike. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151741707391?forcerRptr=true&item=151741707391&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:MOTORS:1123&ul_ref=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11050.m43.l1123/7?euid=bbfedd164e324115be891d1c91dba235&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Febaymotors%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D151741707391%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AX%3AAAQ%3AMOTORS%3A1123&exe=12808&ext=32574&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext&srcrot=e11050.m43.l1123&rvr_id=0

1 - 20 of 35 Posts