Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
very nice .... BTW, is that you 2nd bike in the back ground.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks guys, now I need to find a nice rain suit to store in them.

Whiting, Yup that's my second bike. She's a red ryder, fully adjustable frame, seat going to put some mini apes on it this summer :)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

Whiting, Yup that's my second bike. She's a red ryder, fully adjustable frame, seat going to put some mini apes on it this summer :)
I got a real nice one from leatherup.com, used it on my trip last year and it was torential rain tested in Oklahoma, never leaked, i was always dry, check the sizing if ordering, i got a large, could have used a medium.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Motorcycle-Rain-Gear/Xelement-Mens-2-Piece-Black-and-Gray-Motorcycle-Rainsuit/90917.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice Bags.

Go with the Frogg Toggs - Road Toads. Bass Pro Shops has a great price.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Whiting57, I notice that you have hard saddlebags. I just looked at the website for them and they look very reasonable. Which model do you have and how are you finding them?
I love the look of my soft LT bags, but for any kind of traveling, dry and secure is the only way to go. Please let me know.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Hard saddlebags that I can lock are the next improvement I need to make myself. I would also be interested in the manufacturer of Whiting57's bags. I've been looking at Leatherlyke bags because they seem well constructed and have a fairly good lock on them. I need someplace to lock up my laptop on long trips....Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Whiting57, I notice that you have hard saddlebags. I just looked at the website for them and they look very reasonable. Which model do you have and how are you finding them?
I love the look of my soft LT bags, but for any kind of traveling, dry and secure is the only way to go. Please let me know.
Thanks
The bags are the "MU" mutazu bags, they are ABS plastic, not what i would call heavy weight. I used the stock VN LT brackets that came with the bike vs the ones that were supplied.If you look inside the stock bags there is a sticker saying there only rated for 5 lbs per bag anyway. All that is put in them is handbags (hers not mine) rainsuit, cleaning gear etc ....no real weight. I did modify them a little, put black electrical tape around the inside lip so when you close the door / side , i would not have plastic on plastic rubbing, used oversized washers (metal and rubber) where the bolts go thru to the brackets

I will say this for the stock LT bags, i was in some real heavy rain storms in Oklahoma City during my trip ... and i mean heavy, they did not leak a bit.

There are many types of hard luggage out there, depends on the look, application, durability, style and price you may want.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Whiting57, thanks for the information.
Which actual model are your bags? for ref sake.
ABS plastic, and you put tape in the lip... do they "feel" sturdy enough?
I don't plan to carry more than the basics in the bags as well but I do need to feel secure. Does the lock work well? How have they stood up to use on the road?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Whiting57, thanks for the information.
Which actual model are your bags? for ref sake.
ABS plastic, and you put tape in the lip... do they "feel" sturdy enough?
I don't plan to carry more than the basics in the bags as well but I do need to feel secure. Does the lock work well? How have they stood up to use on the road?
the model i have are the "MU"mutazu bags, they are sturdy, do not "bounce" around, but i would not use them as stated above for any serious weight .... the lock .... i have'nt tried to pick em, they look and feel durable, Im not home till friday, so i cant see if i could turn them with a screw driver or what ever.

The stock brackets that came with them were crap. I used my existing brackets. See this link for installation pics

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/ad292/whiting57/matazu bag and batwing installation/

My thinking on the theft issue ... if they want it that bad , they will get it. Locks are for honest people.

I have not put a lot of miles on these yet, they went on late in the season, maybe have 300 to 400 miles at most ... no issues so far.

·
Registered
927 Posts

love the second ride.. needs some ground effect lighting :)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts

I'm more interested in the trike conversion kit. Was it easy to install?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts