Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad to report that I have now picked up my new ride, 2011 900 Custom.
Very big culture shock from my last ride and truth is I've never even been on a cruiser up to this point, so was very impressed with the smoothness and different way the power arrives. My last bike was a 1997 Triumph Tiger 885, so yep a very big change, have to admit I found the biggest culture shock was the low to the ground thing wow big shock!
Had a 40 mile ride home after the pick up, so did get used to the feel by the time I arrived home, not had that feeling of having my hands pulled from the bars (as the wind was strong that day) for a very long time...
I think the only question that comes to mind after initial ride is what do you guys think is the best preload setting for the rear spring, its at the factory setting 4 I believe and gave a few jolts when hitting the drain covers and things, is this normal (maybe I was spoiled with the Tiger) I am about 85 kilos, is it purely down to weight or has anyone found it better at other settings regardless of weight.
Loving every minute so far :D

·
Registered
851 Posts
Congrats on the new ride...I have a Classic LT and have my shock set on 6, I ride 2up most of the time and it seems to me it rides alot smoother over the bumps.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congrats on your new scoot. Post up some pics. I'm about 126 kilos and I have my shock at 6.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm about 80 kg and have my shock at 5. It was a clear improvement over 4. According to the owner's manual an average rider is 69 kg ... yes, it's a Japanese bike all right!

It has to be said though that the rear shock isn't the greatest. Fortunately the front suspension seems to work really well and once you get the rear preload right you won't get too many nasty jolts, but you will have to back off on bumpy corners where your Tiger might have stayed in shape.

Congrats on your new ride, I hope you'll come to love it like I love mine.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hoss
The suspension tends to be pretty stiff to me. I have found through experimenting #3 position seems best. It seems the smoothest without bottoming out. I would start low and move up if you feel it is bottoming out kick it up one notch. Enjoy you new Kaw.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I set my wife's LT up one notch from factory stock, so I guess that's 5. Never had any issues with bottoming out, however it can be a bit harsh on some of the sharper bumps.

Cruisers being what they are, a bit of that harshness over bumps is just the nature of the beast. None of them has what could be described as a long-travel rear shock. I suppose they could, but it would make the bike look odd, and besides, it would adversely affect the handling and steering geometry of the bike. You'd have to modify the front end as well to keep things level and in balance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thnx guys for all the input and I will put pics up very soon, seems like as most have said its personel preference when it comes to the settings on the ride, and yep I was spoilt on the tiger....

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
how do you adjust the preload on the springs?
You have to use the scanners in the tool kit. Right side is easy--just reach in, apply the spanner to the base of the shock Nd turn it in the direction you need to go--clockwise to increase & counte clockwise to loosen it up.

The left side is a bit more complicated. You have to remove the seat, then the left side cover, then the front sprocket cover before you can get in there with the spanner.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It tells you in your handbook, tool is in toolkit under seat, its behind the coolant reservoir (the spring that is)....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts