Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked it up Saturday afternoon, was only able to get about 200 miles in since but so far so good, not more than about an hour at a time in the saddle but me and the lady love it. will get to really test it in 2 weeks when we ride to Laconia!!

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
The Kawi gel seat is a joke...should have gone with the Saddlemen gel insert and saved yourself a lot of extra coin and came away with a better gel seat. I'm not sure if it was this website or the Kawasakimotorcycle.org forums that someone did a comparison of the Kawasaki gel seat and the Saddlemen Saddlegel seat; the Kawi gel seat's gel pad was about the size of a nut cup while the Saddlemen gel pad was nearly the entire seat. The Kawi gel seat is a complete ripoff and won't hardly help your ride comfort.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congratulations! I have one on my bike as well, for a year now and LOVE it!! I can go several hours in the saddle without any problems. I read one reviewer who didnt like it but I have to wonder if he has even sat on the saddle. Let me know what you think after you have had it for a while. I am very happy with my kawa gel seat!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I found it to be only slightly better comfort-wise.. It buys me a max of another hour. And honestly, I can't stand how it looks. I didn't see how tall the rear seat was till I bought it (eBay), it's a freakin couch. I keep my stock seat on the bike until I plan to ride for an extended period of time. Is it more comfortable? Yes. But not $260 worth, and it looks like garbage. My $.02

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ouch...seems pretty unanimous that the Kawi Gel Seat is not very good. I will just be bombing around town for the next year but may have to ride it across Canada in August 2010. I will remember to look at aftermarket seats, not the Kawi.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ouch...seems pretty unanimous that the Kawi Gel Seat is not very good. I will just be bombing around town for the next year but may have to ride it across Canada in August 2010. I will remember to look at aftermarket seats, not the Kawi.
I'll be leaving Winnipeg on Saturday for Victoria and returning in 2 weeks. I have the Kawi studded gel seat and I will let you know what I think when I get back.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'll be leaving Winnipeg on Saturday for Victoria and returning in 2 weeks. I have the Kawi studded gel seat and I will let you know what I think when I get back.
Hey Crooksie, that's an ambitious ride. What is that, about 1500 miles one way? It would be cool if you could post progress reports to the board.
Hey, make sure you wave to me when you go past Brandon and ride safe!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey
I have the Kawi Gel flame seat I think it looks pretty good, as for comfort it has the stock seat beat all to hell. I do not know how it stacks up in comfort and looks to the saddleman but after three hours in the saddle I think I'd have a flat spot on my ass with any seat. As far as looks go that is pretty much subjective. Just my opinion and you know what those are.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Picked it up Saturday afternoon, was only able to get about 200 miles in since but so far so good, not more than about an hour at a time in the saddle but me and the lady love it. will get to really test it in 2 weeks when we ride to Laconia!!
Oh to be in New England in the summer (former Mainiac now residing in Florida)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
such a shame to hear all the nay-sayers on this seat now. Was gonna get the mustang till i heard on this site that it moves you forward on the bike (can't stand that at 6'4") and all the good comments I was seeing about the Kawi seat on here. BTW this seat moves me back some which makes the ride much more relaxing for me.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Bigmoe,

The round trip I'm taking (3 days to get to Victoria, then my wife then flies in and we spend 1 week visiting my brother and then she flies home and I take 4 days coming home) is just shy of 5000 km (3100 miles) and that's not including whatever my brother and I put on when I get there.

If the hotels I'm staying at let me log into the forum (some hotels do not) I will try and post my trip. Other than that I was thinking about doing a travel log with pics when I came back.

I'll definitely give you a wave when I stop for gas in Brandon on Saturday morning.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great riding on Vancouver Island

Bigmoe,

The round trip I'm taking (3 days to get to Victoria, then my wife then flies in and we spend 1 week visiting my brother and then she flies home and I take 4 days coming home) is just shy of 5000 km (3100 miles) and that's not including whatever my brother and I put on when I get there.

If the hotels I'm staying at let me log into the forum (some hotels do not) I will try and post my trip. Other than that I was thinking about doing a travel log with pics when I came back.

I'll definitely give you a wave when I stop for gas in Brandon on Saturday morning.
Hey Crookie
there is some great riding on the Island. One of the best rated roads is to Gold River BC - Northern Vancouver Island. Some great riding in the Fraser Valley as well. Make sure you stay on highway 1 after Kamploops BC so you can ride the through the Fraser Canyon.
Have a great trip.
Paul

·
Registered
166 Posts
The only way to make the Saskatchewan leg of the trip exciting is to fly your Bombers flag...you will have to watch out for people throwing stuff out their cages at you...ha ha ha

GO RIDERS!!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back from Laconia, put 1500 miles on in 4 days and both of our backsides survived quite happily on the new seat. We got about 43 MPG with a loaded t-bag and saddlebags averaging about 80 MPH both times I checked mileage. BTW I highly recommend the Mt. Washington Autoroad if you ever find yourself out there, what a hoot!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
comfort gel seat

I see the comfort gel is available for the 900 custom but isn't listed for the classic. Will it fit on the classic, and is there much of a difference between it and the regular gel seat?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see the comfort gel is available for the 900 custom but isn't listed for the classic. Will it fit on the classic, and is there much of a difference between it and the regular gel seat?
Not the same part number, so it probably wouldn't fit a classic, but they make 'em for both. Here's the best price I've seen on one so far:
http://www.rickroushaccessories.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/38_61_389/products_id/9670

There is alot of opinions on whether it's any better than the stocker :confused:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
My stealership phoned me and said they now have "gel inserts" for my LT seat. Apparently you just peel back the leather, er, vinyl and insert the gel pad. He swears it has been getting a great review. They want 59.99 for it. Has anyone tried this? I'm only looking for a little bit more seat time, and, I'm not really interested in a 1000.00 dollar Corbin.....yet.

·
BOTM Winner, January 2014
275 Posts
The Kawi gel seat is a joke...should have gone with the Saddlemen gel insert and saved yourself a lot of extra coin and came away with a better gel seat. I'm not sure if it was this website or the Kawasakimotorcycle.org forums that someone did a comparison of the Kawasaki gel seat and the Saddlemen Saddlegel seat; the Kawi gel seat's gel pad was about the size of a nut cup while the Saddlemen gel pad was nearly the entire seat. The Kawi gel seat is a complete ripoff and won't hardly help your ride comfort.
My stealership phoned me and said they now have "gel inserts" for my LT seat. Apparently you just peel back the leather, er, vinyl and insert the gel pad. He swears it has been getting a great review. They want 59.99 for it. Has anyone tried this? I'm only looking for a little bit more seat time, and, I'm not really interested in a 1000.00 dollar Corbin.....yet.
http://www.saddlemen.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=169&zenid=a846e8c3f591e97f9e26cf12585a4636

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts