Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just when I had my bike setup almost perfect, got my first flat ever on a motorcycle. I guess I got lucky because I pulled into the parking lot of my destination and as I was taking my helmet off I could hear a loud SSSSSSS. At first I wanted to be pissed at these tubed tires, but after I saw what was in the tire, any bike would have lost this battle. Had to have the bike towed to the shop which was open and able fix me up same day so again very lucky. All in all I guess its about the best flat tire I have ever had looking back. I was still a little upset so I treated myself to a nice dinner afterwards at a local hipster joint.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Wow. How in the hell did you manage to pick that up? Good to hear that all worked out well. And good to hear that you had a slow tube failure. If you don't have them already, perhaps you need a new prescription on your glasses. ;)

·
Premium Member
287 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The nail. Looks bigger than the sandwich!
It was almost. I was headed to the DMV to get a title printed for my other bike. I think I picked it up right there in the parking lot. The lady at the DMV said that she wasn't surprised because at the end of the day she see's so much crap in that parking lot its pitiful. Dirty diapers, trash of all kinds, etc etc. She said its pretty much a dumping ground. I will say the over 2 hours I spent there waiting for a tow truck, the people watching was intense.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Knock on wood I have never had a flat on a motorcycle. I will agree that you were lucky to have it happen in the parking lot and not going down the highway at 70+ mph. Funny how beer and food helps make unfortunate situations a little more bearable lol

·
Registered
93 Posts
You can get a vulcanizing patch put on the hole on the inside and it will be fine afterwards. As long as it is not in the side wall that is.

I wondered what that guy with the nail gun was doing walking so close to your bike that day. I should have stopped him and checked him out better.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Terrys!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Terrys!!!!!!!!
You got it. Little known fact that 4 of the best places to eat in this city are just a mile or so apart. Terry's Turf Club, Eli's BBQ, The Precinct, and Brew River Gastro pub jut a bit further down. Oh and right in the middle is Tostado's bar and grill for some of the best Fri/Sat people watching as a lot of college age karaoke singers leave everything they have out on the dance floor. So much awesome in such a small area.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sounds like it worked out about as well as you could hope...that bar looks like a fun place!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
My one flat with this bike was a slow leak that I noticed just a few miles from home. Stopped in a gas station and refilled the tire. It had about 8 psi when I got it home. I now have a small 12v compressor that plugs into the battery tender plug and plan on adding slime or something similar. Hope not need either one though.

·
Registered
100 Posts
This is not a 'my cats blacker than your cat' post but one of the features of the Custom that gives me a lot of comfort is the tubeless tyres. I have a 'plug it in pull it out' with compressed air cylinders kit under the seat which I've had to use once on the back tyre. Could have been a real pain the the arzzzz but turned out to be just a small inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
This is not a 'my cats blacker than your cat' post but one of the features of the Custom that gives me a lot of comfort is the tubeless tyres.
I hear you. I've looked into converting the wire rims to tubeless. It can be done but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I think BMW's wire rims run tubeless and don't understand why others manufacturer's can't do the same. :confused:

·
Registered
165 Posts
This is not a 'my cats blacker than your cat' post but one of the features of the Custom that gives me a lot of comfort is the tubeless tyres. I have a 'plug it in pull it out' with compressed air cylinders kit under the seat which I've had to use once on the back tyre. Could have been a real pain the the arzzzz but turned out to be just a small inconvenience.
Where did you get that? Sounds like something I should pick up also.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
698 Posts
Motul tire repair supposedly works on tubed tires - at least for long enough to get it repaired. I haven't tried it but have a can in the bag just in case. It's better than nothing.

·
Registered
165 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
A flat tire on a bike is really annoying, wife and I were on a ride, and fortunately I felt the bike getting a little squirrley at about 30 mph, as we were leaving a red light, pulled over to find a nail in rear tire as well. Having tubes really sucks, as you can't "plug" the hole just to get you home, so a tow truck had to be called, HATE those damn nails on the roads and parking lots.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts