Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been years since I bought a helmet, when I had my GSXR I wore a full face but always enjoyed wearing my friends brain bucket because of the open air feeling. One day I caught a rock on my cheek so I took that into consideration this time.

J&P was running a special on the Rogue for $125, normally 250.00, but only in the matt green, I wanted black but for the savings, I will scuff and paint.

The Bell fitment guide was spot on so I bought the XL which worked out great because XL and up comes with extended face straps, I'm glad it did.
FYI you can but a set of extended straps for 10 bucks if you want for a smaller helmet.

The helmet feels good on my head, I do not like padded ear pieces which can accept ear buds or other devices, they remove with 3 snaps. I most likely will not use them.

The helmet is larger in size that what I originally thought it would be, it feels as thick as a full face on the sides and around the back.

Now to the item of contraversy, the face piece. I wanted this to keep the rocks and debris away but still have the bucket feel, I'm pretty sure this helmet will fulfill that need. The piece does ride on the bridge of my nose, it could be easily fixed if the position of the straps were 5-10 degrees further up. I think though that the piece will wear in and become softer in time and stretch out. Most people, much like I am right now are writing reviews and comments before getting a good wear in period.

I'll keep updating throughout the riding season, first impressions, I'm pretty happy with my purchase.

·
BOTM Winner, February 2015
83 Posts
Well you got a great price on the helmet, that's for sure. I am seriously considering getting the same helmet. I am concerned about the face piece riding on the bridge of my nose. I love the look though. I will be looking forward to your updates

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the helmet has about 10 hours of wear on it now.

Pros:
-The helmet has worn in and become very comfortable, probably the most comfortable I have ever worn, however like I said in my earlier post, this is the first helmet I have bought in years.
- The nose peice has also become softer and I have learned how to position it for my face, the helmet padding softening up has also allowed the helmet to fit lower on my head raising the nose piece up a quarter of an inch or so which makes a huge difference.
- The neoprene mask liner is great for winter riding. I have been riding in temps of 25*-40* and it really keeps the mouth and chin area warm. With that being said, you will need anti fog if your wearing glasses, at least I do.

Cons:
- For me the ear pieces are extremely uncomfortable, especially while wearing glasses. They do howeve keep almost of of the air out. I removed them.
- The helmet catches a lot of air, at 55 it's not to bad but at 60-70 you are forced to constantly push your hear forward. I don't ride at that speed a lot, however I can see that highway riding with the helmet would be exhausting.

Overall, I really like the helmet for the price I paid for it. If I would have paid full retail, I don't think I would have regretted it but I would have looked around knowing what I know now. But it's hard to buy something without testing it out first.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I've checked those out and love the looks of em. But I honestly don't wear a helmet much anymore. Unless I know its going to be really cold or rainy on one of our planned trips I will use a full face helmet. But on a side note your post reminded me of something I have saved on a wish list that I really want to get sometime.

http://sterkowski.com/79-aviator-trapper

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Link doesn't work for me...

Have updated it with a link to the site they can be purchased from directly. The other one was at Amazon, no cheaper. Best to order direct. I want to get one of them with all the bells and whistles. (ie...removable mask, neck warmer, etc) I think they look kind of BadAss. And from the reviews I have read are very warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts