Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Picked up a 2018 1 mile on it from a dealer. I am a new rider so here is what is happening:

1) Lots of stalling in first.
2) Seems very twitchy in first. To the point I feel like when I let out the clutch and a bit of throttle I rocket out of a complete stop and then over compensate.

Once I get up to speed, moving in to second, third etc and back down is a lot cleaner (not perfect yet, lol). But first is still kicking me ass.

Any tips?

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
144 Posts
The bike can be a handful until you get used to it. 1) make sure the throttle control has no play in it. 2) slip the clutch a little more than you think you need to. It will not hurt the clutch. 3) ease in to the throttle as much as you can. It takes very little to get this bike going in first. Go to an empty parking lot and practice take offs and things will get easier.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
The twitchy first gear ( and and second) is a common issue. The Booster plug helps tremendously. Several folks added a tooth to the front sprocket( I took 3 teeth off the rear ) from a 46t to a 43T) this will decrease highway revs a little, mine corrected my speedo error. ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm new to riding also... bought mine with about 1 hour experience (from the previous year ) under my belt.
Probably stalled a dozen times and found the throttle harsh. Now after 5 months I don't have any problems... just take your time and practice. It gets better!

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Please fill in your profile to include your bike/location info and that
is easier using a PC vs the app. This will help others answer questions you may ask knowing what year and model bike you have.

·
Registered
237 Posts
.......I am a new rider so here is what is happening:

1) Lots of stalling in first.
2) Seems very twitchy in first. To the point I feel like when I let out the clutch and a bit of throttle I rocket out of a complete stop and then over compensate.

Once I get up to speed, moving in to second, third etc and back down is a lot cleaner (not perfect yet, lol). But first is still kicking me ass........
Hi Mark, and welcome! Good advice above me, but since you are a new rider, I'll ask if you've taken a motorcycle training course yet. To me, what you're describing are issues that are rider related (that is, you're a new rider) vs just bike issues.

Again, welcome and good luck with the new bike!

Gerry

·
Registered
904 Posts
Congrats on the new bike!
The throttle on the KVS is annoying as heck! I came from a carbureted bike that had a smooth a throttle as butter. The KVS feels like a bucking bronco compared to it. As people have said, you’ll get used to it over time, if your getting frustrated to the point of not wanting to ride it, I’d suggest the throttle Tamer or Booster plug. Throttle Tamer works and is the cheaper of the two choices and the easiest to install (about 15 mins), the BoosterPlug is higher priced and is a bit more involved to install. So, it depends on how much money you want to spend to alleviate the problem or just put up with it. I put a booster plug on mine and felt instant relief from the snatchy throttle and the feeling of throwing an anchor out on deceleration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like others have said, its pretty much just part of the model for the throttle to be twitchy. Mine seems to hate anything in first, and she really isn't a fan of anything under 25mph in general. You'll get used to how she thinks with practice. Like others have said, parking lots are great if you want to work that out.

What works for me is giving her a bit of throttle as you let the clutch out, slowly. At that point the clutch is what is transmitting the power to the wheel so be slow about it, use the friction zone. And start SMALL with the throttle inputs, think 100's of rpms, not 1,000's, and again be slow with the throttle and clutch. But before you do that, start in a flat parking lot and find the friction zone with no throttle, get used to that first. Start slow and small and it will eventually become faster. That worked for me.

The key is to have slow, deliberate, control inputs. Do not just crank the throttle and let out the clutch, be slow and deliberate about it.

I'm a pretty new rider though, but that is what worked for me, others here might have far better advise.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Things I did for smoother operation on Vulcan S

I had the same issues when I got my new Vulcan S. I bought and installed the Throttle Tame. I takes the on throttle twitch and smooths out the fist 1/4 of throttle. The hard engine braking was resolved by adding the BoosterPlug and a Delkevic Slash exhaust system with quiet baffle. I was surprised how heavy and bulky the stock exhaust was. The Delkevic system weighed half as much. I also added mini floor boards an a heel shift kit and some other cosmetic parts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good things have been said here. Modulate first gear .. use your clutch and low rpms.
I also put a Delkevic Exhaust system on and it made a _huge_ difference in the pronounced engine breaking. The stock exhaust has a very high backpreassure which causes the engine the decelerate rapidly once you close the throttle.
The Delkevic Exhaust (40 '' SlashCut for me) cured that .. now the engine is breathing much easier and acts smoother. Plus it _sounds_ so much better !

·
Registered
143 Posts
DeepSpace -

What did you get of a heel shift kit? I couldn't find anything ... Thanks - Randy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! I have to say a week after practicing more I've certainly gotten used to the throttle a lot more! Less stalling in first and less taking off like a rocket from stop. I've also found that clutch, throttle and rear break operation in combo has helped control not only slow speed riding (traffic) but also smoothed out my take offs a lot!

As you have pointed out, time, practice etc. There is a side street next to my house that is a dead end (it does have a T intersection early in but then dead ends); since it is flat I've been walking the bike to the road and just practicing on it (it is a very quiet street) which gave me chances to practice straight riding and also turning both from stop and in motion in to the T intersection. Fortunately this street is VERY quiet but with the T intersection I can take it to head in to non-dead-end yet still very quiet and low speed (25 - 35mph) roads to practice counter-steering and interacting with very light traffic etc.

I have to say it has been a very fun learning experience!! Now I just have to find an MSF course to help me improve my skills and iron out any bad habits I've already introduced to myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! ............(snip).....................

I have to say it has been a very fun learning experience!! Now I just have to find an MSF course to help me improve my skills and iron out any bad habits I've already introduced to myself.
Nice to see that you took the advice to practice. It will help you a lot. Definitely take the Motorcycle Safety Course! It's worth every minute.

Glad to see that you didn't try to change your sprocket, add electronic boosters or mess with the engine in any way.

First bike, first time rider needs practice, practice, practice. Good luck.

·
Registered
237 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
62 Posts
Huh, mine hasn't been twitchy or overly harsh at all, maybe something is wrong with it XD lol. In all seriousness, on mine, the only thing I noticed was at around 800 miles (which was about 350 after his first oil change) engine power seemed to increase on its own. Other than surprisingly disappointing fuel economy, I haven't had any issues, but I chock that up to me hauling my fat ass everywhere I go at "Is he crazy??" level speeds

1 - 20 of 32 Posts