Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
I have run everything in mine from regular to Hi-test and I can't tell the difference. It may be cause I'm dang near at sea level and high humidity.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I run regular all the time. I started running it one day when I couldn't get premium and needed gas and have run it ever since. The bike seemed to be happier, but you have to be careful. On a hot day especially if you are near sea level you may get some pinging and need to go to maybe mid grade. Last spring I added the power commander and had it tuned on the dyno with regular, so the mixtures are more rich than stock. These bikes are tuned very lean from the factory to pass emission controls which causes the cylinder temperature to run hotter and part of the reason why they want you to run premium to prevent pre-ignition. The say if your engine is happy running regular then don't run premium because it is harder to burn and can cause carbon in the cylinders, so as long as you don't get any pinging and the engine seems happy stay with regular. Now there will be alot of argument on what I just said and I can't wait for the arguments to begin because I have been in the middle of a few of them. Premium does not necessarily give you better performance. Do some research. Higher Octane Rating is just a measurment of anti-knock. Knock is the same as ping which means the fuel in the cylinder is firing before the piston reaches the top of the cylinder and causes damage and a loss in performance. Higher octane fuel will only give you more performance in an engine that is knocking or pinging on regular, and premium will give you better mileage only because it is harder to burn, so if you are not getting any pinging on regular you will be getting better performance and a little less mileage because the engine can burn the fuel easier. I have 20000 miles on this bike and I had a Nomad before that I run on regular for probably 50000 on regular.

Let the arguing begin.... oh and when I say regular I mean 87 octane

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got Gas

Thanks Boss Hoss, I'm in Va. so I shouldn't have the sea level problem. I'm gonna try it, maybe the beast will like it. Thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts