Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I rode here in central Texas due to the rain everyday for 2 months. But I did run to the store one day last week (1/2 mile) in between showers. It was doing the "don't know where it wants to idle" RPM thing it does every now and then. Never got below 1,800 rpm even after running normal/hot. So when I got home I put some sea foam in it. Thinking it is time for fresh gas... as it does not seem to last long here. Like only 40 days or so.

Anyway. Today heading to a meeting at 6:30pm, fired the Voyager up.. normal idle, did not look at dash at all like I normally do not do after initial ignition sequence, backed out of the garage, (doing my normal turn around maneuver), drove down the driveway and out onto the street. Shifted to second, looked at the time, and :eek: I had a red light on the dash with F1 pointing to it and the digital part of the dash said error 18. First time I have seen that... on mine anyway. The Voyager was running fine...

Knowing this is a fuel delivery/throttle position type error. I turned around and stopped in the driveway. Shut off the engine, waited a few seconds and turned the ignition on... the error was still there, gave it full throttle twice and let it snap back to idle position. Shut off ignition.

Turned on the ignition and the error code was gone and it ran fine. It ran fine for the next two hours until I got back home and parked it.

Every time I have the idle going crazy issue I check to see if the infamous intake gasket issue is there. I have the good replacement, but when I check it it appears it does not leak. I use starter fluid to see if it is sucking air.

Putting in sea foam seems to always do the trick. Whatever the trick is.... sometimes I think it just could be the gas here. I always buy gas at the same place when home (Chevron) , and it only seems to ever act up when I have home gas in it... it never has done it on the road even after being on the road a week or more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
As you point out this is a TPS issue (or as MaKaw calls it an Accelerator Position Sensor).

So I would not think it is due to an air leak since the sensor is nothing more than a variable resister controlled by the throttle. Have you looked at the resistance of each sensor?

Have seen on other FI motors where carbon builds up around the throttle butterfly which can cause a TPS error code. One way to clean is to get some carb cleaner and spray all around the pivot points, do it multiple times and hopefully it will correct the problem, not a guarantee but might help.

Watch it using starting fluid it find leaks, to much of it combined with a spark (electrical or static) and your TPS error will be the least of your problems.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buying gas somewhere else will do no good, everyone gets their gas from the same refinery here.

Have you looked at the resistance of each sensor?
Have before but not this time. Doubt if I will...

One way to clean is to get some carb cleaner and spray all around the pivot points, do it multiple times and hopefully it will correct the problem, not a guarantee but might help.
Do that too but only works a couple days, the seafoam seems to be the only thing that works. I am sure it is cleaning out the throttle body some.

Watch it using starting fluid it find leaks, to much of it combined with a spark (electrical or static) and your TPS error will be the least of your problems.
Never had a problem before even with leaking intake gaskets. Even if it flares into a fireball my Co2 extinguishers take care of it instantly.

Like I said I have had the rpm fluctuation off and on ever since I moved here from Nevada. (2 years) It never did it before I came here. Never does it anywhere else I get gas. I never fill up before I leave town now and get gas on the road. Thats why I am thinking it is this ethanol gas they sell here. Lots of gas stations here, but they all sell the gas from the big refinery here and they all have ethanol. I have had to run seafoam through my Ranger to get it to smooth out idling since I have been here.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Do that too but only works a couple days, the seafoam seems to be the only thing that works. I am sure it is cleaning out the throttle body some.
I've used Seafoam Spray recently around the butterflies. Seems to work rather well. And be sure to do it outside (don't ask, brain wasn't in gear).

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just use typical throttle body spray/cleaner in the intake throat. I have not seen sea foam in a spray ever....

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
error 18 code

Yesterday I started my Vaquero and took off without paying attention to the dash. About 1/4 mile away, I looked at the dash and saw ERROR 18 on the dash. Not knowing what to do, I pulled off the road and turned off the engine. I then turned the key to "on" and the error 18 was still there. I turned it off again and waited about 10 seconds, then turned it on again. This time, no error code. I started the bike and left. It hasn't done it again....yet. Anyone know what ERROR 18 means?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I believe that is the code for a bad throttle body. I'm sure someone will chime in and confirm.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got an error 18 code a few days after you posted your first post. On the display panel along with the error 18 it was showing F1.

Normally caused because the throttle body butterflies are not in the position it thinks they should be when it initiates when you turn the key on. Mine still started and I cranked the throttle a couple times, turned it off and the error went away after a couple tries.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just got the code 18 on mine. Started up and started to pullout of driveway, down hill, grass and gravel. Came on after I moved about 10'. Need gas so stopped about 2 miles away, got gas and when I restarted, it was gone. Did notice it didnt want to climb past about 2000 rpm without really cranking the throttle. Seems to be running fine now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Bubba, buying gas somewhere else could still make a difference even thoughit all comes from the same place because the station has its own tanks. Only a suggestion. I got the error 18 on mine today as I was leaving the house. Stopped for gas about 2 miles from home and when I started bike back up, no code. Its been quite a while since I used the Seafoam, may try that. I have a 2000 mile trip coming up next week, hoping not to have issues while on the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have received that code every once in a while.I shut the bike down and wait a couple of min. and start it back up. no more code 18 for a while.Does not seem to affect bike in any way.
awhile back some guys said they had it checked out at one at the dealerships could not find out anything. I live with it since it does not affect anything.
I wonder if it had to do with the ecu recall

1 - 15 of 15 Posts