Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 V2K Limited. I keep seeing things about the single bearing hub and that there is a kit to change it to a double bearing setup. I would like to do this while down this winter. Can someone point me to where I can get this kit or part numbers. I believe you know what I am after now so any help will be appreciated.
The other question is when I go to shift into 3rd via the front arm sometimes it wont go. If I use the rear arm it goes right in. Any thoughts? It isn't really a problem just a inconvenience. Bike has 6K miles on it. I use Lucas synthetic 20\50 oil. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
The parts for the rear hub swap are just the factory parts for the 05 and later model 2Ks. Look at any parts place web site like bike bandit or just look at Kawasaki's web site. Hub and spacers and bearing is what I would assume you would need, but there is a lot on here on that topic, look around and see what else you can find.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Sorry to muddy the water, but with an '05 you may already have the 2-bearing hub. I don't think you can tell from the outside, but I may be wrong about that. Next time you have the rear wheel off for tire replacement you can check (or have the shop do it). If someone else does it, make sure they know what you're talking about. I've been shined on by a couple mechanics (different issue) that couldn't admit they didn't know what I was talking about.

You can print pics from here:
'04
http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b2814f8700223e4792bf3/rear-wheel-chain

'06 (any later year will work)
http://www.kawasakipartsnation.com/oemparts/a/kaw/500b33e0f8700223e47947e3/rear-wheel-chain

It's the 42033 assembly you're looking for. Note the single bearing in the '04 and the dual bearing in the later version.

If you do need to change it, the parts you need are:
COUPLING-ASSY,RR HUB Item: 42033-0020

SLEEVE,RR HUB COUPLING,L=39 Item: 42036-0027

COLLAR,RR HUB,L=210 Item: 92152-0051

P.S. Now that I look at the pics side by side, it may be possible to tell the difference from the outside.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I think the part that holds the bearings is a small amount longer on the 2 bearing unit. I can't remember right off. I do remember seeing a post on here at one point showing the 2 parts side by side. I just don't remember who posted it or how long ago it was.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Spacer

You're right, the dual hub is a little "wider". I guess you could measure the outer spacer on the drive side and see which hub you have....... and I guess I could measure my dual hub spacer and tell you what that is, couldn't I?:eek:
Be back in a flash....

·
Registered
987 Posts
Harder than you'd think to measure that. I ended up sliding a piece of 3/8" bar stock beside the outer washer and the seal surface, tight fit. I couldn't find my stock hub to compare the outside measurement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts