Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a buddy looking for his first bike and has asked me to help him find something. He is probably around 350lbs and 6' 6" (not a little guy). He is pretty set on only spending around 3k and that dose not leave a lot of room to pick from. Do you guys know of some bikes that might fit the ticket. Age of the bike is not a big deal. Just something to learn on.

I suggested the 900 classic to him but can't find one that cheap. I know the 750 Hondas and the Yamaha V-Stars (650 & 1100) I have rode feel small.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wife has a 750 Honda. I'm 6'2", I wouldn't be happy on it. I'll ride it in a pinch knowing I have a big comfy 900LT waiting at home, but it's not a good bike for a guy my size, much less his.

About a year ago I got on this forum saying I wanted to spend $3,000 on a motorcycle. Everyone convinced me to spend $5,000 on a Vulcan 900. Best decision I could have made. A year later I still am on a motorcycle that I can ride anywhere. Had I spent $3k on some little metric, I wouldn't be happy. BUT, if you can't convince him (I really do think the 900 Classic is a perfect bike for a big new rider);

Older bigger Vulcans, I really don't think a 1500 is a bad first bike for a large person, especially if they are the kind of person that doesn't mind taking things slow and won't get into trouble. I've seen lots of people start on bikes that big or bigger.

Yamaha V-Star 1300, it's a low seat height, but a pretty decent reach. At 6'6" ANY stock bike is going to be a little cramped, but a V-Star with highway pegs and some taller bars would be a good bike as well.

Lots of 80's bikes, Honda Magna, a naked Honda Goldwing (they actually sold them like that back then, just a basic goldwing with no bags, trunk, fairing, etc.), Kawasaki KZ1000, any of those would be good.

Those are really the two I can think of that would be good. My Uncle is 6'4" and his very first motorcycle is a Yamaha Royal Star 1700 (V-4). You won't find those for $3,000, but, he does just fine on that 1700. I wouldn't read too much into the idea that it has to be sub 1,000cc for a guy that size. As long as he's reasonable anyway. There are some people I know who just can't take things slow or do things within their limits and would kill themselves learning on a big twin, but, if he's the kind of guy that can be honest with his abilities- I don't think he'll have a problem.

I pulled up the Southwest VA craigslist and here's three I'd look at:

http://tricities.craigslist.org/mcy/3197586017.html

http://swva.craigslist.org/mcy/3255167216.html <--- This one is a ROCKET, might not be suitable for a beginner, but it's something to look at. DONT be fooled by the 750cc's that old Magna will keep up with your V2K!

http://eastky.craigslist.org/mcy/3197502917.html <--- Here's an older magna even cheaper

http://tricities.craigslist.org/mcy/3276831951.html <--- That one is downright cool!

I'd be leaning towards the 1500 (or perhaps even 800, if he thinks the 1500 will be too much) Vulcans. Looks like there are TONS of them in the sub $3,000 range in that area.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tired to convince the guy to go up to 5k but he is just afraid to spend the money and then down the bike. He is a very respectable person when it come to taking his time. He would be ok on a larger bike.

My second bike with an 04 1500 classic. And I could have learned on it but I would have had to really taken my time but it is completely doable. He is really digging the classic cruiser look. He also went and looked at a 600 VLX. I told him that he could probably be ok riding it because it actually has more room than it looks but they lack in pull out power. I do not know what he decided to do. I have sit on the 900s and I almost got an LT over the V2K Classic but that "BIGGER IS BETTER" mentality took over the brain and before I knew it I was riding it home.

I would love to have the 750 Magna. Those bikes are a breed of their own. He actually spotted that add and I told him that it probably would not be a good idea.

The other Magna you pulled out might be a good idea. I will have to show that one to him.

I would have suggested the last one to him but man it is not easy filing for a lost title in VA, nor is it cheap. The lightning is awesome though.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
just an fyi the yamaha royal star v-4 is a 1300..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Royal_Star

though yamaha does make some 1700 v-twins
oh and few yrs ago they introduced a 1700 v-4... in the new v-max4....
we patiently wait for yamaha to adapt the 1700c v-4 into a cruiser.......that engine into a yammy venture royal WITHOUT THE CASSETTE PLAYER...hmmm could very well be my next bike

·
Registered
894 Posts
I got an 05 Sabre 1100 that I would let go within his price range - It needs new tires and probably new fork oil - send me a message and we can chat if interested.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I assume he is just starting to ride I would get a bike for 3000.00 most likely anything he gets is going to be under powered for him, after he feel confidence he is going to up grade to a bigger bike we all do

just my opinion

good luck

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
just an fyi the yamaha royal star v-4 is a 1300..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_Royal_Star

though yamaha does make some 1700 v-twins
oh and few yrs ago they introduced a 1700 v-4... in the new v-max4....
we patiently wait for yamaha to adapt the 1700c v-4 into a cruiser.......that engine into a yammy venture royal WITHOUT THE CASSETTE PLAYER...hmmm could very well be my next bike
Ah, well I stand corrected.

Still a friggin' hot rod. Just goes to show ya displacement isn't everything anymore. Perhaps in the 60's when all of the engines were the same and the ones with more power were bigger, but in this day of 900cc Ducatti/BRP (Rotax?) engines having more horsepower and awfully close torque numbers (in some cases) to a 2,000cc Kawasaki twin. Kinda why I wish people would get off their kick of numbers. If you're a new rider, you need from X to X, if you want to be on the highway, you need to be from X to X. If it's under X cc's it won't have enough power. Blah blah blah. Phooey! So much more to the equation these days! Take the 900 Vulcan for example. Big bike, small engine. Lots of people dismiss it because it's out of their pre-programmed 'range' and ASSUME it must have all the shortcomings of the OTHER sub-1000cc bikes. But it's got as much horsepower and torque as lots of previous generation much-bigger-twins and it's as big as lots of big twins to boot!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, well I stand corrected.

Still a friggin' hot rod. Just goes to show ya displacement isn't everything anymore. Perhaps in the 60's when all of the engines were the same and the ones with more power were bigger, but in this day of 900cc Ducatti/BRP (Rotax?) engines having more horsepower and awfully close torque numbers (in some cases) to a 2,000cc Kawasaki twin. Kinda why I wish people would get off their kick of numbers. If you're a new rider, you need from X to X, if you want to be on the highway, you need to be from X to X. If it's under X cc's it won't have enough power. Blah blah blah. Phooey! So much more to the equation these days! Take the 900 Vulcan for example. Big bike, small engine. Lots of people dismiss it because it's out of their pre-programmed 'range' and ASSUME it must have all the shortcomings of the OTHER sub-1000cc bikes. But it's got as much horsepower and torque as lots of previous generation much-bigger-twins and it's as big as lots of big twins to boot!
I got the same spill when I first started. I started on a 650 Honda Nighthawk that would leave the 1500 classic I had after that bike sitting. I was told you are a big boy (at the time 6' 275ish) you need to get something over 1000 cc's. One of my neighbors had this bike for sale (he is a long time rider and mechanic) told me to get this little 650 and ride it. Its more than you need to learn, and he was right.

I also ran in to a guy I know threw another friend, and he asked me what size my bike was and when I responded 2k cc's his eyes opened wide open and jaw dropped and swore I could tear him up on his ninja zx6 and was just flabbergasted at the thought of that much displacement. I tried to tell him it was not that fast, its got torque but not as fast as his ninja, no where near.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not have any experience in with the 500's but this is a pic of one that is well in his price range. What kind of power do these bike produce. Since they are a parallel twin and not a v twin. and the fitment. I may put something out on the 500 board and see what is said.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I say go with the of the two honda magna 750 great bbike in they time the yellow one looks good fot the mileage the black one has a windsheild and ludge rack if that makes a difference just my thoughts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I do not have any experience in with the 500's but this is a pic of one that is well in his price range. What kind of power do these bike produce. Since they are a parallel twin and not a v twin. and the fitment. I may put something out on the 500 board and see what is said.

It's just under 50 horsepower and under 50 pounds of torque. (Pretty close to the 900 FI twin) It's also under 500 pounds. It's got power for sure. I think the issue he might have with that is more fit than power.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts