Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do you already have a ballpark price from at least a couple shops? Might not be a bad idea just to make sure you know what kind of $$$ you're in for if/when you take it in for surgery. Who knows, a dealer might not want to touch it and price it accordingly and a local shop that has experience inside these particular motors (long shot, I know) might be surprisingly reasonable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yeti: I've put out the ask to a couple different shops, however, none have gotten back to me over the weekend. I have also asked one guy who is recommended to me by a friend who has a full garage and does work independently.

How much should this theoretically cost? Bill quotes at around 16 hours, but I feel like this could be done in much less time by an experienced mechanic with all the proper tools/lifts/jacks...

Also, I need to purchase 8HLAs, 2 intake rocker shafts, 2 exhaust rocker shafts (though he says that was unnecessary) rocker cover gaskets and I'd most likely do the spark plugs as well while everything is open and easy to work on.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have absolutely no idea what it would cost to have someone do it, I do know if I had to have it done, I'd be doing it myself and I'd budget significant time to do so, not only to document it but I'd only have an hour or two at a time to sneak to the garage to work on it. When I was working as a Honda tech at a dealership between 04' & 07' shop time went from $70/hr. to 75/hr. I do question the need for rocker arms and shafts, I'd certainly know where to get them, lead time & price but wouldn't order them until I had a chance to inspect mine first. I would make sure I'd have 8 new HLAs ready to go, that and new spark plugs would be it until it was certain more was needed. I'd trust reusing the gaskets if they didn't get torn from the rocker covers during disassembly.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts

How much should this theoretically cost? Bill quotes at around 16 hours, but I feel like this could be done in much less time by an experienced mechanic with all the proper tools/lifts/jacks...

Also, I need to purchase 8HLAs, 2 intake rocker shafts, 2 exhaust rocker shafts (though he says that was unnecessary) rocker cover gaskets and I'd most likely do the spark plugs as well while everything is open and easy to work on.
At face value the parts you mentioned, alone, are roughly $1000.

I'd figure $100/hr for labor just in case.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Yeti: I've put out the ask to a couple different shops, however, none have gotten back to me over the weekend. I have also asked one guy who is recommended to me by a friend who has a full garage and does work independently.

16 Bill Braske hours are probably 4-5 "real shop" hours. If only one jug is ticking you could get away with just buying HLAs for that side. There's a way to check them, but I don't know if I trust it, and I'm of the "buy once, cry once" mindset, so I just replaced them all.

It's the intake rocker shaft that has the screen in it that's the real culprit here, and I've always figured that since you're drilling a hole in it, the transparency of the screen shouldn't matter. Just clean it really good, and you could get away with using the old one. The exhaust rocker shaft is just a tube, and it really is unnecessary to replace it.

So you could trim your budget some if you wanted to. Also, I'd check the plugs before you replace them. It came with pretty good plugs, and they'r not very hard to get to with a ratchet and a universal, if you want to do it at a later date.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Whoru96: yikes, I didn't realize that it was that much for parts alone. Bill says that the exhaust rocker shaft can be skipped, so I'm inclined to do so for that. I do think I'd rather replace all 8 of the hlas and drill out all 4 of the intake rocker shaft screens. I suppose I'd just check the sparkplugs before replacing them, because this was definitely more expensive than I was anticipating.

Bill Braske: then that means it's probably a 26 hour job for me D: I have very little experience working on bikes. To me, doing a clutch pack replacement was a BIG job on my old bike, and this seems infinitely more complicated. A big part of my reluctance to try this is my lack of tools (I have a 144 piece handtool set) and my only "lift" is 2 1x4s bolted together with a galvanized steel pipe as a handle that I use to lever the rear tire off the ground.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
also, to anyone reading, does anyone know if it would be safe to ride this bike about 15 miles to the shop? They want to take a look at the bike before giving an estimate on repair.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Dunno there is any real guarantee of anything, but I'd guess any number of "tickers" probably have been driven farther than that with no additional damage done.

To me "safe" is not directly about whether or not the bike might be damaged, its about the likelyhood that you or a bystander will be seriously injured or worse. So, in that regard, I do not consider this a safety concern.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dunno there is any real guarantee of anything, but I'd guess any number of "tickers" probably have been driven farther than that with no additional damage done.

To me "safe" is not directly about whether or not the bike might be damaged, its about the likelyhood that you or a bystander will be seriously injured or worse. So, in that regard, I do not consider this a safety concern.
Gotcha, well, I think I'll chance it then! Thanks

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Probably too late, but I've always heard that riding it with the clatter won't hurt anything. I put quite a few miles on mine with it. It's just nerve-wracking and even embarrassing.

And there are only 2 intake rocker shafts, so that will help ;)

I too, opted to do all 8 HLAs knowing that probably only 1 or 2 (if any) were bad. I did the gaskets too, but they're kind of an o-ring looking thing and mine looked fine coming off. I wouldn't have had a problem re-using them, but I already had the new ones.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Gotcha Bill,

Well, I took it into the shop to have them do a "confirmation" of the problem, and they listened to it and of course, the sound stopped. They did an oil change (from Rotella T6 5W40 to Mobil1 10W40, because they didn't like the lower weight oil in the bike) but the ticking had completely stopped. I picked it up, and ran it HARD to see if anything would bring the tick back and I haven't heard it yet. I think the Seafoam treatment helped (honestly) and it just took some time for it to sit and work on the buildup. Thank again Bill for all the help. I plan on doing the Braske treatment as soon as I need to open up the engine for anything (or if the tick comes back again, I'll just do it to get it over with) but for the time being, I'm going to enjoy the bike and hope it doesn't tick for tens of thousands of miles.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My experience is the first approach for them locally was to drain about a quart of oil from the bike and refill with a quart of ATF. They then ran the bike down the interstate hwy at a rapid speed, until the tick subsided. Then they changed the oil, going back to a dino 20-50. I could hear the tick though faintly after picking the bike up. I added some of that Shelby micro lube sold at walmart Z-Max. The tick disappeared, the engine was quieter that ever. However, it didn't last. A few hundred miles later away from home the tick returned. I rode it back. The repair at a Kawasaki shop is about 3300.00. It has lasted. The cause is the sealant between the cases at assembly squeezed into the oil crankcase and eventually broke loose to contaminate the HLA's. They don't want to admit to that, but that is what their factory trained mechanic told me.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts