Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Vaquero, and I got a really good deal...so farewell. I know I havnt posted much but when I did I always got good answers and help. Thanks people!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Just bought a Vaquero, and I got a really good deal...so farewell. I know I havnt posted much but when I did I always got good answers and help. Thanks people!!!
Good luck with the new ride!!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Good luck! How about some pics of your new scoot?

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Godspeed bigboy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm picking it up today at 4:30 after work so ill post pics then. I took another Vaquero for a ride this one was red. I really enjoyed the low end pick up it had. I got it out on a road by the Lancaster airport on a nice straight and was pulling about 70 in 3rd gear...its going take some getting used to. It's big soft and fast. Went with the black hadthe quick release back rest and driving lights added.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Definitely do a comparison for us, I love the Vaquero and it is on my short list if/when I ever upgrade.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I was watching this youtube demonstration on the new 2012 1700 Nomad and think it's a great bike with lots of nice features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60NI1op6zno&feature=related
I had a 1700 Nomad for awhile and sold it, only because it didn't do well pulling the Bunkhouse camper trailer. By itself it was a great bike, very comfortable, handled well and was just easy to ride. Gas mileage wasn't all that great--about 42 mpg on the highway at best, and they recommend mid-grade or premium gas, but I believe it ran OK on regular 87 octane fuel. The thing was unbelievably easy to handle at slow speeds, like in parking lots. Very well-balanced. Mine was a 2010 and I felt that the gearing was a bit off, but I understand Kawasaki has redone the gearing a bit. I'd have another one if I were in the market and didn't have so many "new house" things to get, like a fence, lawn, etc. Can't speak for the Vaquero, which is essentially a Nomad with a batwing fairing and side-opening bags. Good looking motorcycle, too. Those that have them seem to love them.

Good luck with the new ride and do post some pix when you can. Cheers :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I loved my 900 it was my first new bike and the one before it was a 84 KLR600....so yeah I liked the electric starter a lot!!! I give you guys a comparo after a few weeks of riding the VV. I'm 6'3" and 350+lbs so at highway speeds I just needed more power and I did everything short of a turbo to get that. I ride the highway almost everyday to work and I kept grabbing for a 6th gear that wasn't there. And to be honest I'm not a big fan of chrome so the blacked out look is more my style.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Big Boy Toys

As a fellow wide load (6ft 300lbs, with 2 up at 200 more:eek:) I am interested to hear how the Vaquero pulls under stress. All the reviews I have read say that there is a torque/speed mismatch in the upper gears but all of the reviewers (from Motorcycle Cruiser) are Harley dudes so a big grain of salt might be necessary...I will be watching for a post from you on the "actual" review:cool: I am riding an 04 V2K and trying to find a fairing for it so maybe the Vaquero could kill two birds with one stone.:D

·
Registered
427 Posts
All the reviews I have read say that there is a torque/speed mismatch in the upper gears but all of the reviewers (from Motorcycle Cruiser) are Harley dudes so a big grain of salt might be necessary...
I took the Vaquero for a testride this last weekend, I would say that that appraisal is correct. It has decent torque off the line, but the rolling nature of the torque is marked at higher speeds and leaves something to be desired. That 6th gear is great for just chugging along the highway, though, and that fairing (the first fairing I've ever ridden) made for the least buffeting I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well her she is(Betty) and I love her so far....very different....very different. when I get a few weeks under my belt I'll give you people my comparo to the 900...but it's Apples and Oranges in my mind right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
Sweet ride

Wow! You really have to love the styling on the Vaquero! Once you have spent some time on her, let us know how the ride is, power vs load, seat/foot postion for big fellas, wind buffeting over the shield for big fellas, etc (Are you seeing a pattern to the questions..?:cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can tell you right now because I wear a full face helmet( and won't go without one) that I'm going to have to get a higher wind screen and different longer stemmed mirrors. But other than that it seems like a good ride. Nice seat!!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tall

I rode a Street Glide CVO last week with a similar fairing and found the same thing, glasses vibrate and the neck gets sore, worse than no shield. I have been looking for a fairing to replace the Memphis on my V2K, (with help from the forum, thanks) but I think that I will need to put the 10in shield on top. I called Kawi in Edmonton Alberta Canada to see if I could book a test ride on the Vaquero, but have not been honored so far:( I think the best way to get good opinions is to find a rider with similar challenges and ask for an honest review. All the trade magazines have riders like 5'7" 145lbs, 5'11" 168lbs. I eat heavier lunches...:eek:

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I wonder why a Motorcycle Dealer would not have a bike for test riding purposes like they do at car dealerships, you can go into a car dealer and tell them you'd like to test drive a new car and no problem, they have those cars on their lots for test rides. Call that dealer in Edmonton back and ask again, they might allow it.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Dealer woes

So here's the deal with the Kawi/Enfield/KTM/Victory/Every damn type of quad and side by side dealer in Edmonton....They have "test ride" days wherein a gaggle of groups of people on various types and breeds of bikes will go out, en masse, and test ride. I went to one recently to ride a Suzuki M109R, sat for 2 or three hours waiting my turn, took out a 650 Burgman scooter to pass the time (loved it!) and finally rode the big boy. That is the way it works. I am sure that if I went in there throwing $50's around I could get an individual ride but that is the general methodology. There is a dealer in Red Deer Alberta that allowed me to take my V2K for a 5 mile ride, but the bike was a year and a bit old, sitting dusty in the showroom watching all the crotch rockets zip out of the door. When I bought my 900C, I researched extensively on the Forums and picked the bike up in a box, no assembly, no test ride, just blind faith. Wasn't disappointed with either bike once I got them home but if I am "shopping" for a bike, I either have to travel 5 or 6 hours or wait for an infrequent "ride seminar". Any dealer on the Forum can weigh in........:cool: Got money, Got time, Got NO patience....

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
My story is, I asked the wife if I can have a new bike, like a 2012 1700 Nomad, she said be happy with what you got because that's it. So now you know who's boss in da house.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Big Boss

I had the same issue in the 90's. Kids were getting to the point where no one wanted to do stuff with dear old dad, had some cash around so I thought about a bike....shot down in flames:( I was TOLD that we needed a new minivan, and once we had a new minivan I could LOOK at bikes. Well, 96 minivan, 2000 minivan, 2003 minivan..no bike. Went to a Kawi dealer on the way home from work 2005, saw a dusty (but new) V2K in the back corner and bought it. Had seats, exhaust, luggage, floorboards, w/s, etc installed. Took the wife into town, stopped to get plates and picked it up....The 30 minutes she spent in the MINIVAN by herself on the way home cooled her off enough to listen to a Toby Keith style conversation (I wanna talk about ME)
Still has the same minivan too...:eek: I don't push my luck all the time 'cause we still have cast iron frying pans in the house, and I gotta sleep sometimes..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts