Https://youtube.be/7FQAkRFMFRw

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
This guys video's are pretty good ,

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I didn't remove the forks, I got a some copper tubing from hardware store, made it straight about 4 feet then attached a clear hose to the end about 6 feet long, inserted the copper tube to the bottom of the fork and ciphoned out all the old fork oil also using gravity to drain it by gravity overnight into a pan laying on the floor

·
Registered
169 Posts
Fork seals/bushings and fork oil changes isn't rocket science or all that difficult. Just draining or siphoning the oil out won't remove all the oil as there is some residual in the valving (some more than others). One thing I have found when replacing the oil is getting the correct oil level and weight is important. The level can be checked with a gauge or by actually measuring out the oil before adding to the fork. Some people won't take the forks off the bike, but how hard is it really? I would rather spend the extra time removing the forks and doing everything on a clean bench. As for the video posted, it was all pretty generic until he used a muffler clamp as a homemade seal driver. I'm not sure I would risk deforming the fork tube like that. Seal drivers are not overly expensive, or one could be easily fabbed with black abs pipe or something. I do the seals and oil on my dirt bike every year. Takes me about an hour from start to finish. Street bikes take a bit more time, but not much.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The videos are Vulcan 900 fork seal replacement part 1 and then part 2
Made by Muddy Fences.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts