Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys, recently did the switch from a full face to a half face helmet for the first time (Bell Rouge) and bought a cheap $20 "riding sun glasses" from Amaon [ame]https://www.amazon.com/AULLY-PARK-Polarized-Motorcycle-Activity/dp/B01M9J1UKU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=motorcycle+glasses&link_code=qs&qid=1556743969&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1[/ame]. They are alright but air still gets through into my eyes and after highway rides etc, my eyes get red/dry up from all the air hitting it.

Wanted to see if the community can recommend any good higher quality riding sunglasses for half face helmets? I know goggles are an option but I would like to avoid that route 馃槑

Registered
What's up guys, recently did the switch from a full face to a half face helmet for the first time (Bell Rouge) and bought a cheap $20 "riding sun glasses" from Amaon https://www.amazon.com/AULLY-PARK-Polarized-Motorcycle-Activity/dp/B01M9J1UKU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=motorcycle+glasses&link_code=qs&qid=1556743969&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1. They are alright but air still gets through into my eyes and after highway rides etc, my eyes get red/dry up from all the air hitting it.

We

Wanted to see if the community can recommend any good higher quality riding sunglasses for half face helmets? I know goggles are an option but I would like to avoid that route
Maybe you could look into some safety glasses with the foam on the backside to help seal up around your eyes without looking like a goggle wearing goober.

I know Wiley X makes some decent safety glasses

Registered
My Puig windshield tends to throw a lot more air (and bugs and dirt) into my eyes than I was used to from my last bike. I did try a pair of good sunglasses that have foam around the eyes, but it is really difficult to get a good seal once you get the helmet on. Unfortunately goggles are frankly the best way to protect my eyes when riding with open face.

Registered
I picked up a pair of $30 sunglasses (thin straight arms, impact resistance, but no foam seal around edges) from my local Harley dealership to wear under my full face (I like the fall protection of a full face, but like riding with the visor open whenever I can, cause air is good). They protect my eyes pretty well, even at 60 MPH. If there's a lot of flying dirt, like off a construction truck or something, I still need to close my visor but aside from that they do the trick. Added bonus, I actually like them as normal sunglasses too!

Either way, I think the best bet will be to buy the at the store so you can actually try them on with your helmet and see how they sit and seal.

Registered
What's up guys, recently did the switch from a full face to a half face helmet for the first time (Bell Rouge) and bought a cheap $20 "riding sun glasses" from Amaon https://www.amazon.com/AULLY-PARK-Polarized-Motorcycle-Activity/dp/B01M9J1UKU/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=motorcycle+glasses&link_code=qs&qid=1556743969&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1. They are alright but air still gets through into my eyes and after highway rides etc, my eyes get red/dry up from all the air hitting it.

Wanted to see if the community can recommend any good higher quality riding sunglasses for half face helmets? I know goggles are an option but I would like to avoid that route

I would look up local laws, you are required to have at minimum ANSI z87.1 rated safety glasses; those generally wrap around. Also this

Statistically you are more likely to injure your chin/jaw in a motorcycle accident.

My wife鈥檚 cousin鈥檚 jaw is currently wired shut;she crashed on a moped recently.

Only googles will provide you with dust protection, and not come off in an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
I have Chap'el goggles that go over my prescription glasses. They're tinted, so I use them from September to April for commuting purposes (I ride East in the morning and West in the afternoon, so the sun is ALWAYS blinding me!), and I wear them during pollen season to prevent my allergies from getting even worse.

They work well and keep the dust out, and IIRC they were like $30 from RevZilla. The strap goes around the back of the helmet (I wear a half helmet too).

As an aside, they're good at keeping cigar smoke out of ones eyes when they ride, too.

-John

Registered
I have Chap'el goggles that go over my prescription glasses. They're tinted, so I use them from September to April for commuting purposes (I ride East in the morning and West in the afternoon, so the sun is ALWAYS blinding me!), and I wear them during pollen season to prevent my allergies from getting even worse.

They work well and keep the dust out, and IIRC they were like $30 from RevZilla. The strap goes around the back of the helmet (I wear a half helmet too).

As an aside, they're good at keeping cigar smoke out of ones eyes when they ride, too.

-John
When I get up to about 60 MPH, my glasses start bouncing around, causing blurry vision. Do the goggles prevent that from happening for you?

Thanks

Registered
When I get up to about 60 MPH, my glasses start bouncing around, causing blurry vision. Do the goggles prevent that from happening for you?

Thanks
Yep - they stay put, and so do my glasses. In fact, whenever I ride something with a small or no windscreen, I wear them. Otherwise, the wind whips around my glasses and my eyes water. No good!

With my goggles on, I do just fine.

-John

Registered
Yep - they stay put, and so do my glasses. In fact, whenever I ride something with a small or no windscreen, I wear them. Otherwise, the wind whips around my glasses and my eyes water. No good!

With my goggles on, I do just fine.

-John
Appreciate the response, Thanks!

Registered
FWIW, I use Bobster Phoenix goggles over my glasses. Mine came in a "kit" with interchangeable dark-tinted, clear, and amber lens. Goggles and lenses all fit in the included soft case.

Registered
FWIW, I use Bobster Phoenix goggles over my glasses. Mine came in a "kit" with interchangeable dark-tinted, clear, and amber lens. Goggles and lenses all fit in the included soft case.
That sounds like an even better setup than what I have - mine did not come with interchangeable lenses nor a protective case ... both of which would come in handy. I don't often ride at night, but there's only 1 bike I can (Vaquero has enough wind protection) or I have to do without the extra eye/glasses protection on my KZ.

-John

Registered
Late getting to your question, but what i have been using are Liberty Sport Explorer glasses from Walmart. I have prescription lenses in mine, but i don't see why you couldn't get plain lenses. They have cushions to protect from the wind, a strap to keep them from falling off, optional Transitions Lens (gets dark in the sunlight), and a nice carry case.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sport-Explorer-Sun-Performance-Eyewear-Matte-Black/31956303

I'm on my second pair i like them so much.

Premium Member
Late getting to your question, but what i have been using are Liberty Sport Explorer glasses from Walmart.
I have a very good friend who worked at Liberty for a few years. They basically own the youth sport protective lens market (like for baseball), and have some pretty rigorous testing on their product. I'd say if they fit and work well, they'll be really good investments should the worst-case scenario happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts