Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday afternoon after a full day in the field I was headed into the shop to call it a day. About 3 miles from the work center Us Hwy 31 narrows from a 4 lane to a 2 lane, the right lane continuing on and the left merging into it. There is a red light a little over a quarter mile before the choke point and some days it can be a Chinese fire drill in that stretch but this particular day every one is making nice giving way and merging like reasonable people. I am practicing my good commercial drivers skills continuously scanning mirrors windshield mirrors. I know this sounds tiresome to many of you but I have done it for so long it is second nature. It has saved my butt on more than one occasion on 2 wheels. At the choke point I am paying special attention because usually there are a couple of school bus's letting out kids this time of day. Just as I make the slight left steering adjustment at the end of the merge I see a small red car in my lower left mirror just as it hits the truck I am driving right in front of the left rear tire. In a millisecond my brain processes the input, small car lexus something 350 hits 4500 Duramax lift truck pulling 5000lb plus trlr, pull to the side of the road and check for scratches right! Oh hell no!The impact launches my whole rigg to the right in a violent manner. So much so that I am now a passenger on a trip to the where will it stop zone.

Where the rigg left the road was about a 6' drop. It is hard to tell from the marks where the trlr drug through but it looks like the truck was airborne for about 27' in a slightly up hill direction. The little car was hauling ass.Probably doing over 80 mph before it hit me. If not for the over 2 1/2 tone Trlr I was pulling I am certain the truck I was driving would have rolled at least once. As it was the rigg traveled about 65' up the ditch finally stalling out in axel deep mud about 8' below road level. The little car that hit me barrel rolled twice coming to rest facing me in the same ditch about 100' past me. It was almost like watching an old Sam Peckinpah movie seeing the thing do it's second roll and flopping down in the ditch after I had stopped

In the past I have had trucks the size I was driving sliding side ways on purpose just to learn how to control them. I have driven them through slalom courses with panic breaking at the end but we never covered the flight plan. Like I said sometimes good just isn't good enough.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm glad you weren't hurt, good thing you weren't on the bike....What is it with people nowadays who don't understand what it means to merge? For a lot of folks it appears they have too much of an entitlement mindset. That thinking combined with cell phones is a dangerous mix.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
ts,, yes folks do not kno - understand the energy (mass x velocity) they carry and the potential (speed) that is on the very edge of control, ie out of control, and the impending disastrous results when soft bodies impact hard imoveable objects.

most likely that driver was barreling along (blissfully) thinking he was gonna outrun your truck to the squeaze point. kinda like folks who race trains to the RR xing? Upon loosing that bet perhaps he didnt realize that trailer was attached to your rigg and thot he could force squeaze between two moving masses.
The amount of energy his vehicle embodied was transferred into your rigg at a single control point(left rear wheel) and not the whole 4 wheel platform. you experienced loss of control as all that energy disengaged that left rear wheel(2x) and then loaded and unloaded the opposite corner. Of course the 5k+ trailer has its own set of energy and linkage to play on this scenario, and as you say was probably a stabilizing force.. Yes, very much like an old Sam Peckinpah movie playing out.

Our vehicles are so comfortable and automated, filled with all kinds of distractions, I call them Info'tainment centers. we have completely loss what little sense we mite have of what it is to truly PILOT a 3+ton cruise missle at high speed thru a maze of disorganized traffic patterns and other 3ton cruise missles.

And still yet everyday, there we are on our spiffy motorcycles, out in the fray, thinking mere leather and a helmet are somehow gonna save our ass from dimwits on their cellphones.. its really more like russian roulette with only one chamber empty in that revolver..

ps. good yor still here to write this report. pix would be a great enhancement. got any?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad you weren't hurt, good thing you weren't on the bike....What is it with people nowadays who don't understand what it means to merge? For a lot of folks it appears they have too much of an entitlement mindset. That thinking combined with cell phones is a dangerous mix.
The odd thing is there is plenty of room for more than one vehicle where he hit me, just striped off lanes. If I had not been there at the angle he hit me he would have ended up in the bank behind the ditch I was in.

ts,, yes folks do not kno - understand the energy (mass x velocity) they carry and the potential (speed) that is on the very edge of control, ie out of control, and the impending disastrous results when soft bodies impact hard imoveable objects.

most likely that driver was barreling along (blissfully) thinking he was gonna outrun your truck to the squeaze point. kinda like folks who race trains to the RR xing? Upon loosing that bet perhaps he didnt realize that trailer was attached to your rigg and thot he could force squeaze between two moving masses.
The amount of energy his vehicle embodied was transferred into your rigg at a single control point(left rear wheel) and not the whole 4 wheel platform. you experienced loss of control as all that energy disengaged that left rear wheel(2x) and then loaded and unloaded the opposite corner. Of course the 5k+ trailer has its own set of energy and linkage to play on this scenario, and as you say was probably a stabilizing force.. Yes, very much like an old Sam Peckinpah movie playing out.

Our vehicles are so comfortable and automated, filled with all kinds of distractions, I call them Info'tainment centers. we have completely loss what little sense we mite have of what it is to truly PILOT a 3+ton cruise missle at high speed thru a maze of disorganized traffic patterns and other 3ton cruise missles.

And still yet everyday, there we are on our spiffy motorcycles, out in the fray, thinking mere leather and a helmet are somehow gonna save our ass from dimwits on their cellphones.. its really more like russian roulette with only one chamber empty in that revolver..

ps. good yor still here to write this report. pix would be a great enhancement. got any?
They finally carried him off in cuffs. Don't know the outcome of the blood test yet but he did have that nobody home look in his eyes. He could have been in shock but I wouldn't bet on it.

Am glad you are ok and werent on the bike at the time.
The outcome would have been dramatically different on the bike. I am glad I was in the truck for this one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts