Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my bike is 6 years old and I just bought it used last Sept. Given the state it was in I highly doubt that the brake fluid has ever been changed. Reading the recent thread about the brakes gave me the notion that I need to change the fluid this spring. I'm not afraid to do the work on my own but I have never had to change fluid on a bike (or a car for that matter which is weird considering how many times I've worked on brakes otherwise) and was wondering if anybody had a link to a good walk-through. Ideally one for the 900 but I reckon any will do since almost all non-ABS motorcycle brake systems are pretty much similar. Unfortunately, I don't have the original manual either so I can't use that to help. Are special tools required on a bike to make sure the system is purged of air? I might ask the father-in-law to lend a hand since he's a better wrench than I am. Thanks for any help as always.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
So my bike is 6 years old and I just bought it used last Sept. Given the state it was in I highly doubt that the brake fluid has ever been changed. Reading the recent thread about the brakes gave me the notion that I need to change the fluid this spring. I'm not afraid to do the work on my own but I have never had to change fluid on a bike (or a car for that matter which is weird considering how many times I've worked on brakes otherwise) and was wondering if anybody had a link to a good walk-through. Ideally one for the 900 but I reckon any will do since almost all non-ABS motorcycle brake systems are pretty much similar. Unfortunately, I don't have the original manual either so I can't use that to help. Are special tools required on a bike to make sure the system is purged of air? I might ask the father-in-law to lend a hand since he's a better wrench than I am. Thanks for any help as always.
There are a number of youtube videos you can search, but this one is pretty good. There all pretty much the same process. The one specialty tool I bought (have not done the maintenance yet) is a hand vacuum (available at Harbor Freight) to pull the fluid thru, but there are methods where you can gravity bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
A vacuum pump is definitely the way to go! But a helpful wife works too! hehehe.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I always get lot of useful information from you guys. Thanks a lot.
Today I bleeded both front and rear brake fluid. I was doing it for the first time and thanks to you guys it took me only about 20 min for the whole process. I got a Mityvac from harbor fright. The fluid that came out was dark like coffee color. I think the fluid got bleeded for the first time. Now I am wondering that why didn't I do it earlier. From now on I will remember 2 years time line for the brake fluid. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
a vacuum line hose connected to the bleeder screw into a glass jar of DOT4 brake fluid worked fine for me.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I changed mine a couple weeks back using the Wife method. Only took half an hour. The first few squirts was black. I'm thinking I'll change mine a little more often from now on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts