Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new seat. I have gone from a stock seat to a Saddlemen Renegade Solo. The stock killed my tailbone, the Saddlemen wasn't near wide enough to be comfortable. I know the Mustang is suppose to be the most comfortable, but they just don't look that great on a 900 Custom. But, i like the fact that they are 16" wide. Are there any other seats out there that are worth it? the Corbins are narrower too. I am open for suggestions, thanks

·
Registered
657 Posts
It sounds to me that you may need to choose between looks and comfort (thoough I'm not sure what you want in looks). Any seat that's comfortable may look wide. I have the Russell Day Long seat. Besides the cost, I was hesitant with the looks at first. I had a Saddlemen Explorer and besides being too firm, I found it not wide enough, in spite of being more comfy than stock. When I finally decided on the Russell and got it, I was pleased beyond belief the comfort of it and the looks grew on me really quickly. When prople see it the usualy fist comment usually is, "Gee, that looks really comfortable!!!"... but I really like the looks as well... but I'm also 56 and a comfy fanny has a really high priority in my book...:cool:

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know looks are important, but go for comfort. There are quite a few options that people like. Looks only count when the bike is sitting still, which really is no fun.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The problem with seats is spending a lot of money and not liking them. I've now had 3 seats and my rear (and spine after 3 surgeries) doesn't like any of them. My empty wallet is easier to sit on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem with seats is spending a lot of money and not liking them. I've now had 3 seats and my rear (and spine after 3 surgeries) doesn't like any of them. My empty wallet is easier to sit on.
Baitis, what seats have you had and what you have liked and not liked?

Also, does anyone have leather, i would think that would help your butt breath a little bit better then vinyl.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine is leather. I'm not sure it makes a differance, but it would seem it does. I've read opinions going both ways. All I know is the the Russell rocks!! As for spending a lot of money with poor results, that's why I sold the Saddlemen and went straight for the Russell. It was a good decision...

·
Registered
7 Posts
this solution is not a whole seat, but I found a padded foam gel seat cushion at
wally world that I like so much I don't ride without it. It is in the rv section down on the bottom shelf near the floor of every store i've been in. it is dark gray in color,about 16"
wide,1" thick and looks like an office chair pad. It really works for me, and the good thing is that it is only about $22.00 total. for that cost it may be worth a try.
dhunt

·
Registered
657 Posts
I tried on of those Wally World Geri-Peri Pads and while it did help some, my maderatza was still screaming at the end of the ride. (used it with both stock and the Saddlemen saddles). I have heard of it working well for quite a few people and for about 20 bones it's not a high risk item.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Here's the link. They cost is based on how far you want to go. You can either mail him your stock seat (they use the stock pan) or do a one-day ride-in appointment.

http://www.day-long.com/

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would suggest having the stock seat redone. I took my to a local car upholstery shop, had them install memory foam and recover with different material. Big improvement over stock, and looks good on bike with different cover.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Baitis, what seats have you had and what you have liked and not liked?

Also, does anyone have leather, i would think that would help your butt breath a little bit better then vinyl.
I have the stock, Kaw gel flame now - gave the stang to my brother since he liked it. I plan to dissect one of the KAW seats over the winter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
seats

I am looking for a new seat. I have gone from a stock seat to a Saddlemen Renegade Solo. The stock killed my tailbone, the Saddlemen wasn't near wide enough to be comfortable. I know the Mustang is suppose to be the most comfortable, but they just don't look that great on a 900 Custom. But, i like the fact that they are 16" wide. Are there any other seats out there that are worth it? the Corbins are narrower too. I am open for suggestions, thanks
for the money its hard to beat a mustang seat it is the most comfortable seat ive ever had

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went custom

I couldn't stand the seat that came with the bike, I added foam to the existing one then after a while I decided to make my own seat pan and have someone else cover it for me and was the best thing I ever did. It's comfortable, lower and added back support. I have an '08 900 classic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put a Ultimate on my 900 classic. Like it much better than the mustang I had on another bike. They are high priced but they give you will give you your money back after a trial period ( i think 15 days) I can ride all day and it does not bother me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts