Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I concur with the many people who complain that the OEM seat on the 900 is uncomfortable after about 20 miles. What are some good after market alternatives that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I concur with the many people who complain that the OEM seat on the 900 is uncomfortable after about 20 miles. What are some good after market alternatives that won't break the bank?
Depends, what bank are we talking about, CHASE, The local bank down the street, or your check book.:rolleyes:

Won't break CHASE.
Russel DayLong I have information from reputable members that this is the best seat available. Custom made from a mold, yup you know of what. Very pricey but the best I have heard of.

Won't Break Local Bank
Mustang Wide Tourer, or many other models.
Corbin many models
Many people swear by both of these Brands, I have a mustang and love it.

Won't break your check book.
Saddleman Gel Pad Seats, Same seat that Kawa sells with stitching. Decently priced. Gel pad works way better than stock seat and will drop you into the bike about 2 inches. I get to the I have to get off stage, after about an hour and a half with this one.

Other alternatives.
AirHawk Seat Pad, inflatable cushion, people swear by them.
I also use a sheepskin as a cover on my seat, comfy and keeps me away from the seat, It gets hot down here.
Also some people use the seat back beads many cab drivers use.

There are many others those are the ones I can think of now.
Others will fill in I am sure.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 for the airhawk as a good alternative. Also a good first step. The "Airhawk 2" is cheaper (made out of a cheaper material, but provides the exact same comfort), under $100. If I were you, I'd buy that first and see if that doesn't make it comfortable. Then move up to the better seats if it's not sufficient. I think I'm gonna go with a Mustang myself.

Also, with the airhawk, the number 1 reason people say it's uncomfortable is because they have WAAAYYY too much air in it. Sometimes I have to move side to side to make sure it didn't go flat I have so little air in it. That's how it works. Fill it up with air, and it becomes just as hard as the seat. Have just a teeny bit, and it'll hold you mere millimeters above the stock seat, with plenty of room for the air to slush around, meaning you'll have no pressure points and be comfortable MUCH longer. I feel the same now after an hour that I felt after about 10-15 minutes before. Also the 'recovery' is much shorter. Meaning if once an hour I hop off and stretch, I'm find for another hour, whereas with the stock seat and no airhawk, if I stayed on it for 25-30 minutes, I was in PAIN and needed to rest for a while before I could continue. I used to ride it with the stock seat to my fiancee's house about 40 minutes away, sometimes an hour with traffic, and I had to sit for another 45 minutes in her nice thick couch or walk around for a while before I could even think about getting on the bike again. Even then, after that long in that saddle, I'd feel it as soon as I sat back on it. (I used to stand up or even slide myself onto the passenger seat for relief, anything but that brick...)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im getting my seat back from meancitycycles.com in Tuesday. Check out their website. You send them your seat and they replace the stuffing with memory foam or gel pads or both. Only $150a for double memory. Tons of options from the site to pick.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Im getting my seat back from meancitycycles.com in Tuesday. Check out their website. You send them your seat and they replace the stuffing with memory foam or gel pads or both. Only $150a for double memory. Tons of options from the site to pick.
I would LOVE to hear how that works out for you... that may be just the ticket!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I've tried just about everything to make a seat comfortable, and feel that a custom seat is the only way to go. My opinion is that anything you put on top of a seat, in the way of any kind of pad doesn't work well. May work for some, but they've never hacked it for me. My wife and I both have Russell daylong seats on our 900's and we both love them. They're expensive, but absolutely worth if. Can't put a pricetag on your comfort, especially if you tend to ride long distances.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
I'll place my vote with a Corbin (Dual Touring). I am on my second one (second bike) and love the comfort.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I've tried just about everything to make a seat comfortable, and feel that a custom seat is the only way to go. My opinion is that anything you put on top of a seat, in the way of any kind of pad doesn't work well. May work for some, but they've never hacked it for me. My wife and I both have Russell daylong seats on our 900's and we both love them. They're expensive, but absolutely worth if. Can't put a pricetag on your comfort, especially if you tend to ride long distances.
I find the stock seat tolerable for all day stop and go riding but if you don't, I agree with Nomad46 that the only way to get it right the first time is go custom. Every bodies butt cheeks, tailbone, hip bones etc are different and therefore need to be addressed case by case. Sort of like a pair of orthopedic shoes......

·
Banned
334 Posts
In my opinion, there is nothing you can do with the 900's stock seat to make it comfortable. No amount of padding or sheepskin or airbags will correct the real problem, which is the shape of the seat that causes pressure on the tail bone.

The stock seat is designed to make the rider sit very low on the showroom floor, but it is useless for actual riding. The one or two people on this forum who actually like the stock seat are a rare exception.

Joe

·
Registered
382 Posts
I put a Mustang seat on my bike after maybe 100 miles on that stock slab that they call a seat. Love the Mustang.
Ditto. Used Mustang 2-up seat for $500. I think that's the first mod I did to the 900.

·
Registered
424 Posts
In my opinion, there is nothing you can do with the 900's stock seat to make it comfortable. No amount of padding or sheepskin or airbags will correct the real problem, which is the shape of the seat that causes pressure on the tail bone.

The stock seat is designed to make the rider sit very low on the showroom floor, but it is useless for actual riding. The one or two people on this forum who actually like the stock seat are a rare exception.

Joe
I agree, but the mistake I made was tossing the stock seat in the trash,(It really was trash) as soon as the new seat came in. Should have kept the pan, and I could have used it for a custom seat. They have to have a pan to fit the bike.

One word about the Saddleman Gel Pad, the gel pad does not play well in hot sunny conditions, the pad heats up, sheepskin was a comfy way to keep the blisters from forming on the parts that touch the pad. OUCH! :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
I recently bought a saddleman solo for my 900 custom se. Cause I hate the silver and black seat. But I gotta say that saddleman is like sitting on plywood. So now I'm on the Hunt for a stock seat from a 2011 se. I have the saddleman boxed up and ready to return it. And from what I'm reading might be one of the few guys who like the stock!!??

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
147 Posts
c-strong. I did as well, so maybe that's the answer. Definitely the reason I switched to a cruiser, comfort!!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
276 Posts
I can deny I really still crave a sport bike for carving the corners...but yes I would trade having this cruiser for comfort!!

Sent from my R800x using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have a Corbin gunfighter/fastback that came w/ from po . Thanks God . that a sheepskin and a custom homemade backrest from a honda headrest for long trips and I am good , on a previously 800A model . Now pretty well Mattified. sweet !! still have the stocker which is softer ,narrower and kinda blah
Peace,love&bugsplatter papasurf

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had a Mustang seat on a Nomad. While the seating position was comfortable, and I never felt beat up at the end of a long day, for some reason it just didn't agree with my butt. After about an hour I would start developing a case of butt burn. I'd end up squirming around and adjusting my postion every few minutes. I sold the Nomad, but not because of the seat. I have the Russell on my 9er and that seems to be the answer for me. Based on my experiences with Travelcade (Saddlemen) seats on a couple of 1500 Gold Wings, I'd never have one on a bike. The beauty of a truly custom seat is that it is made specifically for YOU, so it fits you. And Russell isn't the only custom seat maker out there. BTW, if you like Corbin seats, you can get an true custom Corbin if you go to their facility and have them make one for you. Otherwise, if you just order one, you get one off the shelf with foam in the weight range that is closest to yours.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts