Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY U'ALL...I'm gonna be on vacation and up in Madison Florida June 15th-22nd. Originally I was gonna do a 5 day loop leaving from my friend Billy's house but plans have changed. So it looks like I will be doing some day trips thru the week I am staying with him.
So if there are any forum members that live in N. Fla or S.Georgia that would like to meet up for b/fast-lunch or a ride please contact me. I'd like to meet up.

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
NOT FAR ENOUGH! Come on, you'll love Nashville!
THANX JERRY...it's on my bucket list.

OK...either peeps from those areas havn't read this thread, or a song my mom used to sing when I was a kid comes to mind...

"no one likes me, everyone hates me, guess I'll go eat worms"!

I'm leaving tomorrow morn, hope to meet SOMEONE!!!

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, last week was my summer vacation. Trucked the Vaq up to Madsion Fl. and spent the week with my best friend Billy, Billy's son and Billy's mom. Billy went to kindergarten with my next younger brother, and he started coming over to my street to play when we were kids. When my dad brought home the first skoot and I got into ridin (a 125 enduro), Billy's dad got him a 185 enduro and we rode together everywhere. I have known him for 47+ years.
My original plan was to spend 2 days with him and then do a 5 day ride, aiming to get into Arkansas. A forum member was nice enuff to offer info on good roads and that made it all the more appealing.

Arrival at Billy's place...

Unfortunately I had to change my plans and decided to do some day rides and spend the rest of the time hanging with Billy and his son. Worked out perfect. Saturday we went to a watermellon festival in Monticello Fl. Got some good watermellon, then I took them out for father's day lunch on Sunday. Since I had also brought my bicycle I did some bike riding around his area. Saw a donkey grazing by the roadside and stopped to say hi. It was friendly but after a while the rest of the donkeys must of thought I had food, about 20 more showed up! I had nothing to offer, and as I rode away they were prolly calling me an azz!!

2 very handsome dudes...NOT!!

I rode mon-wed-and friday. Monday's ride I split the ride between Fl and Ga but mostly in Ga. Found some good roads, good riding and did 295 mls.
Tuesday we went over to Tallahasse to an antique car museum, saw some neat cars, and neat stuff.

Look at the compression ratio for this Ford...

A VERY COOL AMC...

A cool collection and display of pedal cars...

Wednesday's ride i stayed in Fl. Rode over to the panhandle along the coast and stopped at Carribelle Beach. Relaxed a bit and saw this plaque explaining how this beach was used to train troops for the D-Day invasion of Normandy. As I like to know as much as possible about WW2, i was very interseted to learn this...

Left the coast and headed North thru the Apalachicola Nat'l Forest. Nice but my map showed a few towns on the way that I thought I could gas up. Towns turned into just a few trailers and my gas light was on, had been on. I saw couple of farmers and stopped to inquire about the nearest gas. 20 miles up the road. I was already showing 201 mls on this tank! So that leg was ridden with much aprehension, straightening out the curves, coasting down the hills and trying to keep the speeds beow 50mph. This was the miles on that tank when I finally got to a gas station where the skoot took in 5.2 gallons!!

Boy was I a happy guy, and not to pat myself on the back, grateful for my tuning and overall set-up! That day ended up being a 349.2 mile day. It was also on this day the Vaq clicked past the 39,000 mile mark!

Thurdsday we went up to Tifton Ga. to the H/D dealer as Billy had a H/D and I/we wanted to check out the skoots. They had one CVO on the floor that was 39,000+ $$$$$$$$ WOW!!

I have always loved the pin-up girls of the 40's and saw this t-shirt, she just caught my eye. My next tatoo was gonna have a pin-up girl in it and I finally found her :love::love::love::love::love:

Friday's ride was in Ga and I stopped back at the H/D dealership and ,sorry guys, just had to buy that t-shirt!! That day's ridin amounted to 376.1 mls.

Funny thing, about 4 miles from Billy's house i started hearing a not so good noise coming from the engine, which turned out to be from the top of the rear cylinder head. Kinda sounded like lots of valve clarance from a collapsed hydraulic lash adjuster. It did not go away. I think the Vaq was NOT happy bout that t-shirt!!

Got the skoot back down here and it still was ticking. Using my mechanic's stethascope I could tell it was from the rear cylinder's left exhaust valve. In talking to car guys they suggested the Rislone engine treatment saying that stuff had fixed collapsed lifters on their cars. So out came the fairly new Amsoil, in went some cheap Advanced auto parts 20-50 and a quart of the Rislone. Cranked it up and withn 20 minutes the noise was gone. Go figure, and it took over 39,000 miles for this to happen. I'm gonna run this oil mix for 100 or so miles, if it stays quite it'll get dumped and the Amsoil goes back in.

All in all it was a great vacation.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Ray if you ever do make it up a little farther north one of these days; like up around Lake of the Ozarks in MO; or something close to me- I'll buy ya lunch!

You gotta get out of Florida sometime! :p

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
I still think Ray needs to use all that $$$ he has saved up and put his shop in a big ol' trailer and just go on the road! There are enough of us on here to keep him busy doing nothing but driving around the country working on Vulcans! Good thing Ray is independently wealthy, so this shouldn't be any problem at all! :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
THANX JERRY...it's on my bucket list.

OK...either peeps from those areas havn't read this thread, or a song my mom used to sing when I was a kid comes to mind...

RACNRAY
You're right Ray, I never read this forum, I'll have to change that. Too late now, but I would be happy to deliver a can of gas if you ever find yourself in a bind up this way again. Alot of the areas you rode look very familiar but I wasn't aware of the museum in Tallahassee, I'll have to check that out.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're right Ray, I never read this forum, I'll have to change that. Too late now, but I would be happy to deliver a can of gas if you ever find yourself in a bind up this way again. Alot of the areas you rode look very familiar but I wasn't aware of the museum in Tallahassee, I'll have to check that out.
I was thru Hahira on Friday's ride, sorry we missed each other!

Why would a Vaquero be in the back of a truck?
WELL...I thought I have bad eyes (wait, let's not kid myself,I DO!) but you missed the BICYCLE sharing the truck bed with my skoot?!

As an avid cyclist I did some riding around Billy's area. Down here in S. Fla the only hills we have are called bridges, and where Billy lives there are lotsa hills. I gots myself some real good workouts ridin up those hills, tho coming down was fun!!

Kinda hard to bring along a bicycle on a Vaquero, don't ya think??

RACNRAY

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Kinda hard to bring along a bicycle on a Vaquero, don't ya think??

RACNRAY
Ray you're not being creative enough! My neighbor has one of those car-top carrier trailers. He took the car top off, turned it into a mini-flatbed, and rode down to Texas to pick up a dirtbike for his grandson, strapped it to the trailer, and hauled it home!

Me thinks there's a solution to your problem somewhere ;)

(However, I remind folks, that just as much as it pains me to see a perfectly good un-broken down motorcycle confined to a truck, RACNRAY piles on more annual miles than a lot of folks I know!)

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Me with a trailer? I'm a guessin that kinda creative streak has yet to "kick in":eek:

It was kinda nice to be able to go 300+ miles before stoppin for gas!

My skoot was 27 months old this past saturday and as of right now the skoot has 40,551 miles on it today!

I ride enuff to NOT have to ride. I use the skoot to run my Monday errands and also use it to pick up parts and such during the work week. Even tho it's easier to jump in the truck, as long as it's not rainin I get to ride my skoot during work hours! Kinda like cheating!!:D

It was puttin more miles on the skoot in the past but I have taken on a commitment in my spare time to provide transportation to less fortunate people in need and I use my truck for that, kinda hard to fit 3+ peeps on the Vaq!!

THANX guys for the support!!

RACNRAY

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Winter Vacation

Well, this time I rode the skoot up to see my best friend and his family. Took the long scenic route to get up there, never again as there are just too many towns and cities on US27 with way too many traffic lites. Took 8 1/2 hrs to go 435 mls :(

Leaving last Tuesday morning...

And getting ready to come back home...

Stopped a bit later to put my full face baklava on as the wind blast with the short shield was just too much. Note to self...put the 14" shield on for long trips. I had the misfortune when coming up to head into a stiff headwind, and the same coming back. I was definitely bobble-head Ray!

RACNRAY

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looking good Ray. Which seat do you have on the bike now?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looking good Ray. Which seat do you have on the bike now?
I have had what I believe is the worst luck with seats. The stock seat hurt so I got Kawi's gel seat. That eventually hurt so I sent the stock seat out to have it redone. It was fine at first but as it was set up for my weight of 235 pnds at the time, it became toooo hard when I got down to 210. Tried a gel pad,didn't work. Tried an Airhawk pad, never could find the right amount of air to work ,sold it. Got a Mustang seat with the nice passenger section and backrest for the girlies to ride with me, they were happy but my section sucked. I got the idea to pull the cover off the front section and redesign the foam, I made it worse. That is the seat I used for this trip as it has that big passenger section to hold my big bag. I was miserable.

Bottom (pun intended) line...I NEED A NEW BUTT!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have had what I believe is the worst luck with seats. The stock seat hurt so I got Kawi's gel seat. That eventually hurt so I sent the stock seat out to have it redone. It was fine at first but as it was set up for my weight of 235 pnds at the time, it became toooo hard when I got down to 210. Tried a gel pad,didn't work. Tried an Airhawk pad, never could find the right amount of air to work ,sold it. Got a Mustang seat with the nice passenger section and backrest for the girlies to ride with me, they were happy but my section sucked. I got the idea to pull the cover off the front section and redesign the foam, I made it worse. That is the seat I used for this trip as it has that big passenger section to hold my big bag. I was miserable.

Bottom (pun intended) line...I NEED A NEW BUTT!!
You may be on to something with the butt-not-the-seat thing. At least, that was the case for me. I found that the real source of my discomfort, was actually the seams on the seats (Mustang or otherwise). I didn't realize it for a long time but those seams were creating pressure points and causing the pain, because for me, they matched up exactly with the seams on my jeans. Now, when I got for a long ride, I am known to just wear a pair of gym shorts under my overpants. Makes a tremendous difference in comfort. A large skeepskin pad also helped me, because it covers the seams up with soft sheepskin!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You may be on to something with the butt-not-the-seat thing. At least, that was the case for me. I found that the real source of my discomfort, was actually the seams on the seats (Mustang or otherwise). I didn't realize it for a long time but those seams were creating pressure points and causing the pain, because for me, they matched up exactly with the seams on my jeans. Now, when I got for a long ride, I am known to just wear a pair of gym shorts under my overpants. Makes a tremendous difference in comfort. A large skeepskin pad also helped me, because it covers the seams up with soft sheepskin!
I have a couple pair of Jeans that are on my "do not wear on the bike" list. The seams are thick and cause the same issues with me. Amazing how much discomfort they can cause if they are in the right spots with the vibration added in.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have a couple pair of Jeans that are on my "do not wear on the bike" list. The seams are thick and cause the same issues with me. Amazing how much discomfort they can cause if they are in the right spots with the vibration added in.
I'll also add that highway pegs helped tremendously. I think because it relaxes the skin around the areas of all those seams. As have my backrest, because on a looooong ride, I can push up against my backrest and basically sit up off the seat for 3 or 4 minutes (good excercise too, hehe). Then sit back down and I'm good for another 30 minutes before I get sore again.

But the Mustang seat is a 1000x improvement over the stocker. I can handle a solid hour without doing anything special without discomfort. I only still get sore on all-day rides or long stretches on the interstate, but a combination of the right clothes, the backrest, and the highway pegs makes it easy to manage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts