Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I went to a dealership yesterday with the intention of looking at a used 05 Super Glide - ended up riding home on a new 2013 Super Glide Custom. Still not sure how that happened. I just wanted to thank everybody here for a wealth of info. I only had my Custom 900 for a year but I got a lot out of this site. The Glide will stay bone stock except for the addition of comfort accessories like a windshield, highway pegs, etc. I did manage to work a nice sissy bar and pad into the deal which I'm waiting for them to get in so the wife will feel more secure. I think it has the perfect amount of chrome and has plenty of power for me with the six speed tranny making the slab much more comfy. I'll still keep poking around here for a while. For some reason I've always loved the looks of a Harley even though I always said I'd never own one. I'll certainly not be one of those types typically associated with Harleys. Thanks again and ride safe!

Here's the new toy.

[/url] Super Glide by Infinite_Day1, on Flickr[/IMG]

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Great lookin' bike! Hope you enjoy it!

Don't be a stranger around here!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Bike looks great, always loved the look of the SG. I had a 07 Steet Bob before I got my Nomad.

As time goes on you might want to get a Doebeck TFI on even stock. They can run kinda hot in traffic otherwise. You've have a good bit more power with that 96ci motor.

If you ever have any mechanical questions on it, just pm or email me. I did all my own maintenance and quite a bit of extra stuff to mine before I traded it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bike looks great, always loved the look of the SG. I had a 07 Steet Bob before I got my Nomad.

As time goes on you might want to get a Doebeck TFI on even stock. They can run kinda hot in traffic otherwise. You've have a good bit more power with that 96ci motor.

If you ever have any mechanical questions on it, just pm or email me. I did all my own maintenance and quite a bit of extra stuff to mine before I traded it.
Thanks for the offer of help - probably take you up on that. I'll look into the Doebeck too. First things after the sissy bar is put on are highway pegs at the forward control mounts and a windshield. The best thing so far is the 6-speed trans. Doesn't feel like it's about to explode at 70mph. The bike has lots of neat features. I also like the gear & rpm indicator. Was riding it home near dusk yesterday and thought the speedo backlight was not working - come to find out the thing has a sensor and doesn't turn the backlight on until it's dark enough out to need it....

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
Ah, I love it when someone starts off with "The Glide will stay bone stock except for ..."! Stay tuned for all those upgrades!

Congrats on the new ride, looks good!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks for the offer of help - probably take you up on that. . . . . First things after the sissy bar is put on are highway pegs at the forward control mounts and a windshield. . . . . . . .
I have a Rifle brand shield that I paid $330 for, used it about 8 months before I traded the Bob. I've been meaning to put it on Ebay for $200, never have gotten around to it yet. It fits the 49mm forks, has all the mounting clamps. It's in almost new condition.

Also gonna get rid of the Mustang Wide Vintage 2up seat, paid $350 for it new, gonna ask $225. Perfect condition. See attached pics.

Whomever I sell the above items to I have some other spare parts to throw in for free, the 10" mini Ape HD bars, some clutch cover gaskets, new unopened plug wires, drain plug O rings etc.

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Never say never, right? I agree!! Hey, congrats on the new bike...it looks great and I wish you many happy miles bro!:D

As for not knowing what happened to your original intentions, been there, done that. Haven't we all? I kinda like it when that happens.;)

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
RWB... just though you should know... cuz id hate to see someone get in trouble over trying to help a guy out.. specially if he didn't know !!!

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Nicely done, Sir. Welcome to the world of HD. You're either gonna love it or hate it. I'd be willing to bet top dollar that you'll love it! ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nicely done, Sir. Welcome to the world of HD. You're either gonna love it or hate it. I'd be willing to bet top dollar that you'll love it! ;)
So far, I'm loving it. Despite my history of metric bikes, I always lied to myself and said I'd never own a HD. Something about the looks of their bikes has always had a hook in me though. I can sit in the garage and just look it over - the damn thing is pretty. Still learning the differences in the motor - I'd been lugging it and didn't realize it which was causing it to act funny. Now that I know to keep the revs up when it's under load I think I'm in good shape. Almost got taken out day before yesterday - some idiot pulled out of a parking lot in front of me and I didn't know what he was doing so I locked her up into a skid. Fortunately I was only going 30 through town and I kept control - the ass hat pulled out in the street with traffic coming to park on the side of the road. Some people...

Thanks for all the compliments - the Vulcan was a great bike but the HD was pretty much my affordable dream bike. If I had more money to spend I'd have bought a Street Glide - that's my ultimate goal.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
So far, I'm loving it. Despite my history of metric bikes, I always lied to myself and said I'd never own a HD.
Lots of people say the same thing . . . I never did, because I knew there was a pretty doggone good chance that I would. LOL.

Something about the looks of their bikes has always had a hook in me though. I can sit in the garage and just look it over - the damn thing is pretty.
They're the most beautiful bikes in the world. Did you notice that pretty much everything is real metal? That shines? The level of plastic is extremely low. What, maybe the side covers on that bike? And, they're as solid as freight trains!

Still learning the differences in the motor - I'd been lugging it and didn't realize it which was causing it to act funny. Now that I know to keep the revs up when it's under load I think I'm in good shape.
Yeah, it's definitely different from the small bikes like the 900.No need to shift as early as you were accustomed to. And that bike has a LOT of power, does it not? :D

Thanks for all the compliments - the Vulcan was a great bike but the HD was pretty much my affordable dream bike. If I had more money to spend I'd have bought a Street Glide - that's my ultimate goal.
Take your time . . . you'll get that Glide! ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They're the most beautiful bikes in the world. Did you notice that pretty much everything is real metal? That shines? The level of plastic is extremely low. What, maybe the side covers on that bike? And, they're as solid as freight trains!

Yeah, it's definitely different from the small bikes like the 900.No need to shift as early as you were accustomed to. And that bike has a LOT of power, does it not? :D
Even the side battery and electronics covers are metal. I took the battery cover off to snug up the leads and I'm pretty sure that thing weighs more than the seat off my 900 did. The fit and finish really is superb. It's also nice to have a gear and RPM indicator. Heck, the backlighting on the speedo is even on a photo sensor so it's only on when it's dark enough. Hydraulic lifters - no valve adjustments!

I was getting on the 4 lane after getting gas the other day and was running through the gears pretty quick. I think it's because the bike weighs more but I looked down and was doing 70 before I knew it and it didn't even feel like it. More power than anything since my R6 - that was a different kind of power though.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts