Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a little over 17 000 KM's on the factory rubber I decided to run my 09 Nomad to the dealer and have him put something on with a little tread. After reading a seemingly endless number of threads about the pro's and con's of switching over to a CT I thought I'd try for myself. The dealer tried to talk me out of it but eventually agreed to put it on for me. There was some concern as to whether or not it would fit, (I went with a Bridgestone Potenza 205 60 R16) but it went on fine and so far I'm a big fan. The first couple of corners the bike felt a little squirly but by the time I got it home (about 40 kms) I felt like I had a pretty good handle on it, (at least until the rear brake assembly fell off but that's another story). I rode it to work the last couple nights and scraped the floor board on the cloverleaf on and off the highway. She'll get a decent run on the way to Port Dover tomorrow for Friday the 13th. I'll be able to better report after that.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
GREAT!!!!!

Not "squirrely".. just different..... squirrely makes it sound unsafe.... it isn't.......

By the way.. does anyone know if you can change your User ID? I emailed the moderator here while back to see and haven't heard back yet...

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Well good for you, welcome to the darkside. Like all the others, I pass out cookies. And you're no different so here's yours. lol

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
GREAT!!!!!

Not "squirrely".. just different..... squirrely makes it sound unsafe.... it isn't.......

By the way.. does anyone know if you can change your User ID? I emailed the moderator here while back to see and haven't heard back yet...
Who did you email? I can change it for you, just PM me with what you want.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
yeah, well, I suppose I started the 'squirrelly' word usage to describe the little bit of side to side motion my DS tire sometimes gives me. It is not unsafe... and it is easily learned and accommodated.

----- but do be very aware of air pressure... lower pressures allow a bit more of this motion... but too much air stiffens the tire to the point that your contact patch in corners is highly reduced. I did videos of both situations on here... I will go find and include the youtube link.....check about 47 seconds in.....

and here is a more reasonable contact patch...
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22211

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
MN-Nomad... PM sent and thanks....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up Tallannie. I've been on vacation the last 2 weeks and put about 2000 kms on theat tire and I love it. The ride feels much smoother and I don't even notice a difference in the corners anymore. I cant see me ever going back to a bike tire. Darkside for life!

Ryan

P.S. Thanks for the cookie Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts