Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brother Charles and I (not blood brothers) will be riding over to Yakima this coming up Sunday. I've not timed how long it takes to get from Morton to Yakima (with a fuel top-off in Packwood) but I imagine we'd leave Morton around 10:00(ish) to 10:30.

Any forum members in that area have any suggestions for good eat-um-up places (burgers/chicken/pizza etc) to test out?

Wouldn't mind meeting some more members, too.

·
END OF YEAR BIKE 2018 Winner
862 Posts
Are you gonna take; 410, 12 or 90? Hwy 2 would be too far of a northly route from Puyallup (but by far the most scenic as it goes through Leavenworth, which has a must eat at restaurant!) Of course...all routes in western WA are scenic!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do the 410 loop around the mountain from time to time, usually going clockwise from home to Enumclaw to where 410 "T's" into 12 and back home through Morton.

From my initial gas-up at home I can make it to Cliffdell on 410 where I'll gas up again and eat at the restaurant. I'll gas up again at Packwood. That's 85 to 90 miles from home so I can make it without stopping again.

I've been through Leavenworth once. Nice place. Big time tourist trap. Wouldn't want to live there.

I've gotten two recommendations for places to eat. One is a burger joint called Miners in Yakima and the other a Mexican joint a tad bit further along over in Union Gap.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Miners is good. Look up Majors too. If you like Pho there’s a great place called Pho King Crab over by Cabelas.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So there is a burger joint called Miners. And one called majors?

·
Registered
78 Posts
So there is a burger joint called Miners. And one called majors?

Yup. Miners is pretty iconic. You have to eat there at least once in your life. Huge burgers. But many folks I know say Majors is better.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent. Next time I will take my full face helmet though. My lower face and nose are red from too much sun.
I got in 465.7 miles total.
We went to Miner's to eat, (I decided that I am not a fan of the congestion getting to the place.) then on 97 over to Toppenish before turning south on 97 to Wa 14. We stopped at the Stonehenge memorial site.
Westward on 14 (windy in some places) to I-205 up to I-5 and on to home.
Here's my MPH vs MPG info:
If I can keep it in the mid 50s MPH I'll get low to mid 50s MPG
If I am in the mid to high 60s MPH Ill get mid 40s MPG
If I am in the 70s MPH I'll get mid to high 30's MPG
If I am in the 80s MPH then before long I need to drop the kickstand and walk to the nearest gas station.

Several times we stopped for fuel before Charles needed it. Me, too, I suppose as I could have gone for longer but I didn't know how far away the next gas station was. Besides, my old butt wanted to walk and air out some.
For me, part of the reason for any ride into new territory is to discover where the gas stations are for future ventures.

Overall it was really fun. LOTS of it was new to me. Reminded me of driving in New Mexico/Arizona/west Texas or SoCal.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, and Miner's was ok. Large burger and TONS of French fries. Quite the crowded place.
Now that I know how to get there the next time won't be as confusing. The GPS merely said "go this way" and their traffic circles could easily trick you into going in the wrong direction.
But the food was ok. Not great, not bad.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Oh, and Miner's was ok. Large burger and TONS of French fries. Quite the crowded place.

Now that I know how to get there the next time won't be as confusing. The GPS merely said "go this way" and their traffic circles could easily trick you into going in the wrong direction.

But the food was ok. Not great, not bad.

I have a friend who lives and works in Yakima. If you want more food recommendations I can get them for you.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, we needed a place to stop, eat, and stretch a bit so it did well in that aspect. Now that we've been there it won't be as big a deal finding it should there be a next time.

So its not particularly vital to find a better place to eat. But, having said that, its never a bad idea in knowing places to eat.

Yeah, a few more recommendations won't hurt. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What food types do you like? Pho? Teriyaki? Bbq? Burgers? Pizza?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts